back to article Chinese debt collectors jailed for cyberbullying under ‘soft violence’ laws

A Beijing court has jailed eight debt collectors for cyber-bullying people who owed them money. The facts of the case are nasty: debtors were bombarded with text messages, robo-calls, sending threatening videos on WeChat and use of “information bombing software”. Those messages included personal insults and other unsavoury …

1. Quinch

As the old joke goes....

The government hates competition.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. sanmigueelbeer

Re: I love debt collectors...

And then I remember that I *CAN'T* go to Hell, Satan's got a permanent restraining order out against me & I'm not even allowed in the lobby.

Reminds me of a t-shirt: Heaven don't want me and hell is afraid I might take over.

2. tip pc Silver badge

Re: I love debt collectors...

“ There's nothing you can say or do that could ever be worse than what my ex-wife put me through.”

What if they send in the ex wife?

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

jailed under 'soft violence' laws

Apparently only hard violence is acceptable.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: jailed under 'soft violence' laws

Pick your cliché...

Do as we say, not as we do.

One rule for us, another for them.

Your government is working in your best interests.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Jimmy2Cows - Re: jailed under 'soft violence' laws

Anyway, they have to imprison a hell lot of people for whatever reason in order to reach parity with US.

4. lglethal Silver badge
    WTF?

Ok serious problem but...

...and trying to spook people by playing funereal music.

Thats a weirdly specific thing to ban. Is that really something that happens a lot in China?

5. FlamingDeath Silver badge

I don't think China knows the meaning

of debt, with their billion+ population and climbing

6. RM Myers
    Coat

"Those laws were intended to tackle ... anti-social acts [Including throwing faeces

Well, that answers the question about what kind of sh*t laws will be passed next!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Genital Herpes

Debt collectors are the genital herpes of telemarketing. Just when you've eliminated one infection, another pops out.

8. Jason Hindle

It's worse than that

They also had a system of loans called Naked Loans:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/15/chinas-naked-loans-force-female-students-to-bare-all-in-return-for-more-cash

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Debt Collector scams in the US

There are several debt collector scams in the US with generic business licenses registered to PO box in New York that threaten people with lawsuits and court summons for credit card debt that is either non-existent or is long past the 7 year statute of limitations.

They call and leave voicemails with a bogus case number and a phone number for their their victims to call them back.

I have spoken to a few of these scammers that always answer their phone with "Lawyers office".

They use public information and often have the last four digits of their victims SSN to make their claims more legitimate.

When you call them out on their BS and question the alleged debt they always respond with "See you in court, good luck".

I have been calling one of these scammers every 12 months or so taunting them that we still haven't received the summons to court yet.

I wish the laws in the US would mirror that of China in dealing with these scumbags.

1. JCitizen
      FAIL

Re: Debt Collector scams in the US

All I can say is debtor harassment is illegal in my state, and the Attorney General has successfully prosecuted several of them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like