back to article Microsoft forked out $13.7m in bug bounties. The reward program's architect thinks the money could be better spent

Microsoft's bug bounty program has exploded in terms of scope and payouts. The Windows giant said on Tuesday that over the twelve months to June 30, 2020, it has paid out $13.7m for reports of vulnerabilities in its products, more than treble the year-ago total of $4.4m The coronavirus pandemic played a part in the bug-report …

1. Blackjack Silver badge

About bug bounties...

Isn't the problem of using your own devs for bug bounties that they might leave bugs on purpose to find?

So is better to have non locals do it.

https://dilbert.com/strip/1995-11-13

[The Boss, Dilbert, Wally and Alice sit at a conference table. The Boss says, "Our goal is to write bug-free software. I'll pay a ten-dollar bonus for every bug you find and fix." Dilbert, Wally and Alice throw their arms up in excitement. Dilbert yells, "Yahoo!" Alice yells, "We're rich!" Wally yells, "Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!" The Boss says, "I hope this drives the right behavior." Wally says, "I'm gonna write me a new minivan this afternoon!" ]

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: About bug bounties...

ISTR reading that Scott Adams was told about this happening in real life. I doubt that's what was being suggested in the article, rather that testing teams are adequately staffed to test S/W more thoroughly before release.

2. jason_derp
    Holmes

Ah yes

"Most security programs can find many more efficient uses for $14m in vulnerability prevention and detection in-house."

Sure but like, isn't that effective? We're Microsoft. We'll do not that. Let's not that that really hard until we don't know what thating that even is. That's the one. Let's do that.

1. Notas Badoff

Re: Ah yes

Curious thing is, there's an obvious metric staring them in the face.

Keep the bug bounty program. Implement and improve on the in-house capabilities.

Do the bounty payouts decrease? No? Keep improving the in-house capabilities.

Do the bounty payouts decrease? No? Well, now they've proven a negative ROI for their in-house program, confounding the experts maybe, but as predicted by others.

And that might be key to Microsoft's thoughts. Do they write shit code? Yes, but people are still buying it. Are they able to improve their processes? No? Customer: "Wait, why are we buying shit code from an unreliable vendor? Uh-oh! So... MS: "Let's not prove how bad our company is for software!"

2. Blazde Silver badge

Re: Ah yes

I've always assumed these bug bounty programs are marketing ie. "our software is so secure we can even afford to pay huge sums to crowdsource eyeballs and catch the few remaining super-sneaky bugs". I highly doubt $14mil on in-house security would generate the same media buzz.

3. Sparkus

He's right of course.

He also sorely neglects the horror that has been MSFTs approach to development and security these past 30 years.......

1. jake Silver badge

I think you'll find that ...

... Katie is a she, not a he.

4. jake Silver badge

How long, exactly, have the cognizant been saying exactly this?

"Internal investments in hiring more skilled security people in-house, using better tools, and mandating a secure development lifecycle has a much higher return-on-investment than letting the public do the bug detection work for you after."

One word: DUH!

And that doesn't even begin to cover the bad PR that Redmond has generated for itself over the last couple decades, releasing crappy code as a matter of course to keep sales and marketing happy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It all starts with a decent QA department

Enough said.

1. stiine Silver badge
      Flame

Re: It all starts with a decent QA department

Not only QA... I've never used an IDE so I don't know how QA highlights bad code before shipping it back to the author and getting them to do it over again correctly, but I think that making it strobe bright red would probaby work.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: I've never used an IDE so I don't know how QA highlights bad code

Instead of testing the overall program as a "black box" to see whether it works, one writes code to test - if necessary - every single line of the code to make sure every line works as it should.

Simple example: Let's say I increment a counter every time an event occurs:-

i := i + 1;

If that counter exceeds the maximum allowed for that value, and i wraps-around then - well, the "black box" may still work, but there is an error in there which might only occur once every 248 days*. How do you test for that? Line-by-line analysis is easy, you ask the question: this line of code I've written, how can it fail?

Sometimes no fault is discernable, the code may go all around the houses, visiting every possible value before spitting out the correct value. Profiling the code will determine whether the counter has been simply incremented, or whether it was (say) decremented right through the entire integer range (with errors swallowed) to rest on the value above what it was last set to. There may never ever be an error, but the program spends a hell of a long time "thinking" before spitting out a result.

* I believe Boeing have a problem that manifests itself after that time period. Ok my explanation may be simplistic, but these kind of glitches are often as a result of something simple that someone has obverlooked.

1. QuBitMac

Re: I've never used an IDE so I don't know how QA highlights bad code

Yes in Boeing’s case, their Goliath control computers must have a hard reboot before 248 days else bad things happen..

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: It all starts with a decent QA department

Bean counter: you want a new department of, what did you call it, QA? And it produces nothing except slowing down product release? And costs us money to staff and manage? How can we possibly make a profit from that, no no no, denied. Next?

6. DS999 Silver badge

It shouldn't affect internal security programs

At least I would hope that former employees aren't eligible, to limit the chance of someone finding a $1 million bug as an employee, keeping it quiet and quitting, then going for the bounty.

Someone who finds those kinds of bugs regularly is obviously not going to take a regular security job, but is that such a bad thing? Most actors barely scrape by but the lucky few make $20 million for a movie. Why? Because they are worth more than $20 million to the movie. Same with the lucky/smart few security researchers who can find the biggest bugs.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: It shouldn't affect internal security programs

Splitting the million with AN Other gets round such a restriction and also avoids the risk of handing in their notice but being forestalled by someone who discovered it independently.

7. ComputerSays_noAbsolutelyNo Silver badge
    Holmes

Externalized cost, anybody?

Releasing buggy-code and then having to bug bounties to external people is plain and simple externalized cost, with the exception that the cost is actually paid.

Think of bad code in terms of pollution. An oil spill pollutes the sea, and the society has to bear the cost of remediating the damage. -> externalized cost, since the oil company does not pay for the remediation. This slowly changes however, but in the past this was basically for free.

I find it a good thing, that bad code causes actual cost (via the bug bounty) for the software company instead of mere bad PR. No company has ever died of bad PR, hence there was real incentive to change behaviour.

However, if bad code costs actual money, then there is finally an incentive that even bean counters understand.

8. T. F. M. Reader

Amazing insight!

Finding and fixing bugs earlier in the lifecycle is cheaper. Who'd have thunk?...

9. TeeCee Gold badge

Another missive from the Department Of Stating The Obvious.

When it was drilled into me, it was called the "Rule of tens.": If it costs x to fix a problem in design, it costs 10x to fix it in development, 100x to fix it in testing and 1000x to fix it once live.

I guess nothing's changed.

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Leaving the detection to external researchers carries the additional risk of being outbid or not getting an exclusive. Once the bug has been shipped knowledge of it becomes valuable.

11. IrwinD

External bug detection and bounty programmes; I think the assumption that this is being "focused on" as if it is the primary way of detecting bugs a little narrow minded.

No company (ok probably some, but certainly not Microsoft) relies exclusively on external users discovering bugs. It is worth remembering that these programmes have to exist. No software development will be 100% perfect, there will be bugs including security bugs in released software. The question is how you manage that:

1. have a bounty programme so bugs are reported to you (rather than to evil players/criminals/etc.) This way you have a chance to fix them.

2. Ask yourself the question; why did our internal controls not pick this up. Fix the controls and testing so you would have. There may be a pattern as to why that occured, which you can prevent future bugs or even identify similar bugs from.

1 is useful, but only provides long term benefit if you also do 2.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like