back to article Virgin Media CEO says Brit broadband biz 'performed well' in Q2, which is a weird way to say losses almost tripled

It was up, up and up some more for Virgin Media in its latest full quarterly numbers: UK internet customers increased, network coverage swelled and losses almost tripled. It's been a busy time for the broadband and TV provider, what with managing the pressures on its network caused by work-from-home traffic, the pending merger …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mobile revenues will be down for all because of the simple fact everyone will have been using wifi at home.

1. MatthewSt

Usage may be down, yes, but I would imagine revenue is mostly covered by people having plans so unless they're cancelling or reducing them I can't see it being that different

2. flilotuk

They'd have lots more customers if they didn't put their prices up two sometimes three times a year, by many pounds when you're out of contract. Introductory broadband only offers for new customers are bordering on illegal - £28/month for 18 months then FOURTY FOUR POUNDS A MONTH thereafter for the base 100 package?! Money grabbing Americans - there is absolutely no need for those magnitudes of price increases. To coin a popular American phrase: Screw you!

1. HarryBl

My bill was due to go up £20 this month. I called them expecting to spend an hour wrangling with a Filipino before getting through to retentions.

Instead I get through to the UK directly within 2 minutes. When I said it was too expensive they immediately offered to keep me on my current price for the next 18 months so I snapped their hand off.

I'm paying less that the cheapest new customer bundle for more than they get.

2. HarryBl

You have to haggle.

1. TRT Silver badge

Ten shekels for that? You must be mad!

Well, there's one born every minute.

3. rich_a

It will be interesting to see what the culture will be like after the merger. O2 makes a big deal about their transparent pricing, about treating existing clients the same as new ones and being able to easily shift your usage tier even before you're out of contract, Virgin's pricing is as clear as mud and once you're out of contract the online "offers" consist of upselling you to a very limited set of packages that are more expensive than those on their store for new customers.

I like Virgin's service, but having to play "the retentions game" every 12-18 months costs them and myself time and is frustrating. Charge fair prices and let me change my package online to the full range - it's not rocket science.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Now Ofcom have lost the useless Sharon White... aren’t they threatening ‘best deal’ renewal prices on broadband, mobile, TV similar to prior energy companies having to make the info available and not bury it.

3. Vometia Munro Silver badge

wat

"largely driven by the net effect of a change in realized and unrealized gains (losses) on derivative instruments... an increase in losses on debt modification and extinguishment... lower depreciation and amortization... a decrease in foreign currency transaction losses... higher related-party fees and allocations."

I have absolutely no idea what that's supposed to mean in English; something to do with tax, maybe?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: wat

Yeah, a lot of the losses will be paying the beared tax dodger thevrights to use the Virgin brand name

Hint: look at how the Virgin Group "helped" out Virgin Airlines by not demanding their 30 pieces of silver.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

It didn't help much - Virgin Airlines just filed for bankruptcy.

2. NeilPost Silver badge

Is there any value left in the Virgin Media brand ??

Surely in Liberty Global’s brand bucket or within O2 there is something to dump that total waste of money??

Say all broadband/TV in Europe is UPC?

4. s. pam Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Who?

We dumped them after their bill for broadband + home phone went to £60/month plus the Wouldn’t implement IPv6 either.

Now on FTTP for £28/month, similar speed.

Beardies company can rot - the extra dosh will be useful.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: Who?

Branson has little to do with it these days. Not that he ever had much influence/ownership.

Much of Virgin anything is branding wrap.

My Virgin Money Acc is really Clydesdale Bank for example.

1. Jay 2

Re: Who?

I think the only bits that Branson himself has any involvement in nowadays is Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Galactic. As you say anything else is just licensing the name.

5. TRT Silver badge

Up and Virgin Media...

two words I rarely see in the same sentence, at least in the absence of the word "not"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like