back to article Trump bans Feds from contracting H-1B workers and makes telehealth the new normal

US president Donald Trump spent much of his Monday on matters impacting the technology industry. The most exceptional announcement was that he expects any sale of TikTok to a US company must be accompanied by a finder’s fee of sorts paid to the US Treasury. “The United States should get a very large percentage of that price …

1. sanmigueelbeer
    Coat

Now I get it!

The most exceptional announcement was that he expects any sale of TikTok to a US company must be accompanied by a finder’s fee of sorts paid to the US Treasury

So TikTok, by itself, is a "no-no" due "security matters".

However, TikTok, if (and when) owned by an American is absolutely fine.

Gee whiz, slap me silly and call my Sally!

By the way, does this rule apply to Huawei?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now I get it!

The whole Tiktok hollabaloo is a nothingburger, a distraction so the media stop talking about the mismanaged pandemic that may well cost Trump re-election.

Tiktok is not used for the core communications infrastructure, and it's not necessary for government communications. A simple order of "don't install it on government (or government contractor) equipment" negates any security risks even more so than "sell it to a US company".

1. Xalran

Yes, but it's been used by people that made the Orange Clown look ridiculous.

And that's a crime of *Lèse Majesté* that cannot happen again for the Orange Clown.

He must do something *about it*. It's a matter of pride.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. egbegb

TikTok ships personal information to the Chinese Communist government. When owned by Microsoft, that won't happen. TikTok should be shunned by all thinking Americans until it is owned and operated by an American. Even then, it should be closely watch. All social media should be closely watched. Only thing is America can't do anything about a social media platform that is owned by an enemy of America. HOWEVER, America does have the power to block all communication of goods, services, or information at the border and examine it before allowing it to pass. Furthermore, it has the power tax all such communications.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Trump's "finders fee" is just a shakedown. I don't think there is a statutory basis for even charging two companies for the regulatory cost of examining their merger, much less for a finder's fee where the U.S. government gets a cut of the purchase price. Now, if Tik Tok USA stock was held by investors in the U.S. then the government would get an indirect revenue bump because of taxes on the capital gains that at least some of the investors would realize.

But otherwise, this is just Trump trying to position this as a "Bee-utiful deal, the best dea!" to burnish his image as the President who used his private-sector deal-making skills benefit the U.S. public, when another pol would not have been able to do that. However, if the U.S. government told the Trump Organization that it needed to pay a finders fee on some acquisition Trump was making, then Trump would tell the feds to take a flying leap, and reach for the lawyers.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Finder's fee or mafia-style shakedown?

You decide (Newsnight, 10 mins).

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Finder's fee or mafia-style shakedown?

Thanks for the link - but it would be much much (much) better if you just posted them in cleartext.

1. The_Idiot

@BebopWeBop

Better for some perhaps - but not for a screen reader assisted peruser of Register Pages.

From the WCAG 2.1 accessibility standard:

H30 - Providing link text that describes the purpose of a link for anchor elements

"The objective of this technique is to describe the purpose of a link by providing descriptive text as the content of the a element. The description lets a user distinguish this link from other links in the Web page and helps the user determine whether to follow the link. The URI of the destination is generally not sufficiently descriptive."

Example 1

Describing the purpose of a link in HTML in the text content of the a element.

(anchor open tag href= tag)"routes.html"(end anchor open tag)

Current routes at Boulders Climbing Gym

(anchor close tag)

1. The First Dave

In what way does "you decide" describe the link?

1. The_Idiot

With respect, my post related to 'but it would be much much (much) better if you just posted them in cleartext.' as a principle rather than this example. While this link may not be a perfect or even good example, the principle embedded in WCAG H30 is _not_ to post links as text, but to post descriptive text to display in an anchor. Specific WCAG version requirements exist in Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (WCAG 2.0), though not, as far as I am aware, in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Left click/tap to open, right-click/tap and hold then Copy Link if you need to. Easier than highlighting text than opening it as a link, isn't it?

3. BebopWeBop
    Devil

Maybe fixing the tax system might be more appropriate for the US state to get its 'bung'?

1. Chris G

We are talking about the ' Del boy' of US presidents, he likes to show off about what he considers a good deal he has pulled off.

If he could, he would pull out a large wad of cash to show how well he did out of each deal.

The guy is a barrow boy.

4. Mark192

It's like he has no filter and just spews stuff forth as he thinks of it. You're then left wondering if it was just empty musings or if the underlings will then scramble to make it so.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This idiot gets it, how come the others don’t

“ Trump has also long-argued that H-1B visas drive down salaries”

There should be more mandated onshore work, don’t mind if the outsourcers onshore staff and pay proper onshore wages, will ensure there is less obvious differential between in house and outsource then and give the rest of us a chance to compete.

1. imanidiot Silver badge
      Meh

Re: This idiot gets it, how come the others don’t

If no H-1B visas companies will just outsource to some other country entirely, the average Joe loses regardless.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This idiot gets it, how come the others don’t

Was gonna quote that "Trump has also long-argued that H-1B visas drive down salaries" - it's the only time I agree with the orange bloated buffoon.

A UK -> US visa application is so painful.

6. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

As some other commentard has previously said

The easy way to fix the H1-B visa is to not hand them out as a lottery, but on the basis of the expected salary of the worker. Either set a limit (like the UK does), that the worker has to be above to be eligible for the visa or a highest salary gets the visa first system (depending on how/if you want to limit the number of visas).

By setting a limit that cuts out the whole bringing in cheap foreign labour to replace the locals, you remove that problem, whilst still allowing for the high end, skilled professionals to be brought in as needed.

It seems such an obvious solution. Obviously too obvious for the US...

1. Outski

Re: As some other commentard has previously said

The lottery aspect comes out of how quickly you can submit your application. Every year there's a cap on the number of applications; you apply from (normally) 1st April, and once the cap is hit, no more are accepted. Then, those applications are reviewed, and a portion of them are successful.

There is a separate lottery for green cards which is an actual lottery, ie, you can submit an application for the right to apply for a green card, not an H1-B, from most countries in the world, without having any of the normal qualifications (job offer, family ties, etc), and maybe you'll get lucky. You still have to prove you're not disbarred for things like drug convictions, membership of the Communist Party (yes, that bar still exists).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: As some other commentard has previously said

I enter that - it's based on birth country and nothing else..

7. nintendoeats

President proposes tax on the rich

And under most circumstances I would be thrilled. This is so far beyond inappropriate...save me November!

8. mebh

Really a ban?

I skimmed the Executive Order on H-1B - it's all about "reporting on recent practices" and "recommending changes", does anyone else actually see the "ban" promised in the headline?

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Really a ban?

Has Trump not already shown himself to be extremely flexible on definitions, restrictions and limitations...?

2. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: Really a ban?

Apparently, then, somebody in the Administration understands that like any country, the US needs imported hi-tech skills because they don't actually have enough home-growns. If H-1B holders are underpaid, that's really a separate matter from whether they're needed, and should be resolved separately.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Finder's Fee

The TikTok thing in general is just more red meat for his base.

The finder's fee is to show off his deal making skills (if you count political ransomware as deal making).

I assume he will want the payoff in cash so he can do a gloating photo op.

10. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I wonder if...

I wonder if the Trump Org will stop importing cheap unskilled labour now, considering the numbers of unemployed US citizens?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like