Grey Skype icon in the system tray - where is the startup process?

This topic was created by Paul IT .

1. Paul IT

Grey Skype icon in the system tray - where is the startup process?

Recently, I have a new Microsoft Windows 10 annoyance - the Skype icon in the system tray appears in grey and waits to be clicked on.

I cannot find how this process gets started not via Start up folders, HKLM and HKCU regkeys, not via the normal Scheduled tasks and not found in Services.

I can bring it up in Task Manager and select disable but it would be good to know how this process originates from on Windows 10 and remove it.

The other new annoyance is the Windows 10 remote desktop into another Windows 10 computer always sets the background to black and I have to change the colour to something less dark.

Any ideas on how to prevent Windows 10 remote desktop sessions automatically setting black backgrounds. I do have a very high res laptop which may be the cause as I suspect the remote session can't cope above 1920 x 1080 resolutions on remote desktops but then shows it at the max it can provide the 1920 x 1080 with a black background.

Thanks for any useful advice.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Grey Skype icon in the system tray - where is the startup process?

Have you tried poking the question "How do I get rid of the Skype icon in System Tray?" into DDG? The third option down is this page.

I suspect the remote background colo(u)r issue can be resolved in a similar way, but I can't be arsed to look.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon