back to article Virgin Galactic reveals giant mirror feature in cabin design for Beardy Branson's space bus

Passengers that go into space aboard Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo won't just experience weightlessness: they'll also get to watch themselves float in a giant mirror and enjoy decor designed to remind them of Earth's oceans and deserts. We know Virgin Galactic today revealed the interior design of Beardy Branson's space bus …

1. macjules
    Meh

So many delays

Perhaps Branson should take on Crossrail as well.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: So many delays

If he could charge £25k a ticket he would.

2. Chris G

Having just watched the awful marketing speak video, I don't need six minutes of micro gravity to achieve a queasy stomach.

If I was offered a seat for free, I would snap it up but even if I had that kind of money I wouldn't part with the equivalent price of a very nice villa with a pool and orange groves where I live.

It occurs to me that as nice and thoughtful as the interior design is in the Spaceship, it made no mention of sick bags or aerial vomit collection.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Never let reality interfere with a good* design.

*For typical marketing interpretations of "good", which usually don't align with any real-world interpretations.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Having just watched the awful marketing speak video, I don't need six minutes of micro gravity to achieve a queasy stomach.

If I was offered a seat for free, I would snap it up but even if I had that kind of money I wouldn't part with the equivalent price of a very nice villa with a pool and orange groves where I live.

There are vastly less expensive ways of feeling sick in micro gravity for a few minutes, for example this and this. Although if I wanted to feel dizzy and sick at the same time, I'd just drink six pints of snakebite.

When people said "take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints", I guess they meant big black smudgy carbon footprints.

3. weegie38

No need to pay him...

Branson makes me feel sick every day, just thinking about the amount of tax his companies dodge. I don't need to pay him for that effect.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just think - they can use up all those Virgin Australia meals

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    FAIL

Marketing circle-jerk

The spaceplane was designed to provide “safety without distraction, quietly absorbing periods of sensory intensity and offering each astronaut a level of intimacy required for personal discovery and transformation."

Helping things along are “halo windows” that “are used to subtly reflect back and therefore elevate the human responses to each of the contrasting stage of flight.”

What a complete load of pretentious, meaningless, utter bollocks drivel.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Marketing circle-jerk

Well they've got an expensive luxury product that's years late, launching (maybe...) at a time of economic uncertainty, and that doesn't actually do anything useful. Got to try and differentiate it somehow.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"at a time of economic uncertainty"

The people who can afford the tickets don't allow things like that to impinge on their reality distortion fields. It's icky and doesn't affect them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Surely the marketing should be along the lines of

"You'll go into bloody space! It'll be frigging awesome! Weightless for six whole minutes! Windows! OMFG!"

Mood lighting my arse.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Mood lighting my arse.

Err....

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Happy

Thinking about it, why not?

Wouldn't it be great if every time you sat on the toilet for a number two - the bathroom was suffused with the beatiful glow of your now revealed anaLED BumLumination - reflected gently from the bowl?

Maybe a restful blue for your number 2 - with the option of a brighter mode to show your underlings that the sun shines out of your arse.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Pretty sure Japanese super loos do that already

2. the Jim bloke
          Joke

Not required.

I already have to apply sunscreen to my buttocks to prevent burns from reflections off the porcelain, and trying to check on the products is reminiscent of the closing scenes in Close Encounters of the Third Kind

5. Allonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

SPACESH1P CAB1N

Great. Now I can't unsee that "clever and futuristic-looking" typography.

What a pile of toss.

6. John Jennings

fixed it for ya

Passengers will be able to watch themselves float in their own puke while bathed in Earthlight

1. whitepines
      Joke

Re: fixed it for ya

"watch themselves float in Earthlight while bathed in own puke", Shirley?

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

A 10-minute countdown ? For real ?

What idiot thought that include 10 minutes of countdown in a YouTube video would be worthwhile. It's already a stupid idea for a livestream, but nobody is going to watch 10 minutes of a countdown. So I skipped over all the talky parts until I got to the so-called "cabin reveal". I didn't find that it revealed all that much about the cabin. On the other hand, I found hilarious the fact that the pilots are in full gear with masks and an oxygen supply, whereas the passengers . . not so much.

I'm sure the passengers will be soo reassured by that.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Re: A 10-minute countdown ? For real ?

Well, the pilots are re-usable. Whereas the passengers have paid in advance, and are therefore counted as a consumable.

8. Spherical Cow Silver badge

That's as it should be.

It makes sense to provide a luxurious interior with a great colour scheme. When the passengers don't even get to go to real space (100km) they need to something nice to justify the enormous amount of money they've spent.

1. Chris G

Re: That's as it should be.

Well, I hope they serve a decent champagne, oysters and strawberries on the way up so that the passengers (mugs?) have something reassuringly expensive to chuck over their fellow passengers while freefalling.

9. wolfetone Silver badge

From the man who wouldn't sell his private island to keep his airline afloat while suing the NHS, comes this expensive white elephant.

10. Arthur the cat Silver badge

It's been so long …

since VG first sold tickets, I'm wondering how many of the initial ticket buyers will be declared medically unfit to fly by the time flights actually happen.

1. Chris G

Re: It's been so long …

Perhaps for those who have passed on while waiting, Virgin could throw them out of the airlock into a decaying orbit.

I am sure the marketing wonks could come up with a good way to sell it.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
        Trollface

I am sure the marketing wonks could come up with a good way to sell it.

When you wish upon a star … it might be your great grandpa!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Thumb Up

"When you wish upon a star … it might be your great grandpa!"

That sounds more like a "Hallmark Moment"

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

My marketing suggestion

Don’t be buried and rot away

Come and die the Virgin way

Cremated by orbital decay.

11. Christoph

Six minutes?

A mirror for the passengers to see what they're getting up to in weightlessness - but only allowing six minutes? Hardly worth all that money for just a quickie.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: Six minutes?

Hardly worth all that money for just a quickie.

I hadn't realised this was included in the package. At $694 per second, she had better be good looking.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Six minutes?

It's going to be full of pretentious wankers, no 3rd party required.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Capitalism at its ugliest

I cannot be the only one to notice that this experience is exclusively for the super-rich, and gives them a short anecdote to amuse their equally well-heeled friends at dinner parties. I also cannot be the only one to notice that this tells the future generations that the only way to achieve your dreams is through money, and lots of it, further increasing the unhappiness in our society that is dominated by us have-nots.

This is capitalism, and we are living it every day.

Re: Capitalism at its ugliest

I know a couple who are signed up (AFAIK they're the only married couple with both going, they certainly were a few years back when the Observer interviewed them). They're well off, they're Cambridge techies, but definitely not super rich(*). It's just that the husband has wanted to go into space since he was young and when he asked his wife she said "well, why not?"

(*) Not even a second home, never mind a yacht.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

"she said "well, why not?""

Saves money on the divorce or him falling down the stairs....twice.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

They're well off, they're Cambridge techies, but definitely not super rich(*). It's just that the husband has wanted to go into space since he was young and when he asked his wife she said "well, why not?"

A single anecdotal exception doesn't disprove a general rule. Especially one so rare that it is reported in a national newspaper.

Of course it will be packed with the super-rich. Does anyone seriously believe otherwise? It's Concorde at 40 times the ticket price. 99.9% celebs and fund managers, plus a couple of bucket listers blowing their savings.

Of course it will be packed with the super-rich.

The super-rich are the top 0.1% or maybe 0.01% of the wealth statistics. These days ~14% of UK households are worth more than £1 million, so could afford a VG ticket if they wished to(*). 14% isn't super anything, even if they're richer than the average.

The super-rich buy a ticket on Soyuz or set up their own space program, they don't fly Virgin.

(*) Before anyone states the bleeding obvious, yes it might involve remortgaging or selling their house. Obviously every choice has an opportunity cost, which is why most of us wouldn't take a suborbital flight even if Branson wasn't involved.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I cannot be the only one to notice that this experience is exclusively for the super-rich, and gives them a short anecdote to amuse their equally well-heeled friends at dinner parties."

On the other hand, that's more or less how the airline industry started too.

13. Stratman

FOTA;-

Russia, meanwhile, has re-launched its space tourism program and even offered the first citizen spacewalk, but at a cost likely to vastly exceed the price of a Virgin Galactic ticket.

...but a marginally better chance of survival.

14. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Mirror Mirror

on the Wall, Who’s the Fairest of Them All?

Oh dear, the mirror just cracked.

Now we'll never know

15. IGotOut Silver badge

Mirrors for selfies.

What are the effects of zero g on botox and breast implants?

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: Mirrors for selfies.

In the case of the latter, TITSUP

16. the Jim bloke
    WTF?

Anyone else offended..

by describing the self-loading freight as "astronauts"?

17. The Bobster

So apart from the facts that:

- It's not a reveal of _a_ spaceship cabin because its CGI.

- It's not a reveal of _the_ spaceship cabin because the "spaceship" will have 4 seats, not 6.

- It's not a reveal of a _spaceship_ cabin because it doesn't reach space.

the rest of it is probably perfectly accurate.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like