back to article GitHub starts publishing roadmap of future features

GitHub has announced it will henceforth publish a public roadmap of current features. The Microsoft-owned code bazaar says it’s traditionally “shared forward-looking product announcements at major events or in the occasional blog post”, but that it feels the time has come for more regular and formal disclosures. Hence the new …

1. karlkarl Silver badge

They are focusing on turning GitHub into a platform intended mainly to host internal commercial code repositories (with open-source projects on the side).

For open-source communities, Microsoft are providing absolutely nothing for them and for my own personal business use... I don't care, I am usually used to getting what I want when I pay.

So no, I don't think Microsoft is doing a good job. They are serving themselves as usual.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Move to GitLab...

1. 9Rune5

I fail to see how the grass is any greener over at GitLab.

Actually, for commercial projects, you want neither. TFS beats the combination of GitLab+Jira. TFS (using git for vcs) is cheaper and better. (unless you can somehow manage with the basic version of GitLab, in that case you might break even)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

> So no, I don't think Microsoft is doing a good job. They are serving themselves as usual.

They're a for-profit corporation that has decided there's value - for them, and only for them, at this point in time - in playing the Open Sauce PR/Marketing game.

I for one didn't, and don't, expect anything else from them. Advantage: me. Microsoft can't possibly disappoint me.

FWIW, they cut the price of GitHub personal subscription to $4 from $7. Boo-Ya!

1. Robert Grant

Yeah they're trying to kill GitLab by matching their pricing.

3. Richard 12 Silver badge

GitHub Actions?

Open source repos get a lot of free CPU time to "do stuff" on Linux, Windows and even macOS.

I think it's reasonably generous that they allow every repo access to a full CI infrastructure, for nowt.

It remains to be seen whether that will continue, but it's certainly welcome.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Playing safe

... ish.

Our project is also mirrored on sourceforge.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like