back to article UK housing associations offer framework worth up to £400m to eBay-for-plumbers startup (but it won't get to keep it all)

A group of UK housing associations has awarded a framework contract worth up to £400m to property technology company Plentific, in part to help build a trading platform for folks to come in and do repairs and maintenance in people's homes. The Peabody Group, which owns and manages more than 66,000 properties across London and …

1. Glen 1
    Trollface

In before "python is a crap choice for this" by python haters.

I believe there are already websites that do similar eg Checkatrade.com. Perhaps not on a per-job basis though.

Putting the jobs to tender like this makes it attractive for folk *not* currently in the south east to bid on those jobs. Also for "make a loss on the initial bid, make the profit on the changes" gravy train.

2. cantankerous swineherd

quality control an optional extra.

3. keithpeter Silver badge
    Coat

Small and local

Hello All

Housing Cooperative tenant here - couple of hundred tenancies:

We have Dave with the Van for minor repairs (flush not working, gutter fell off in the wind, fence fell over &c) and triage of more major work.

Contracts with a gas fitter, electrician, plumber and roofing/larger build jobs contractor including emergency call-out

Cyclic maintenance (new kitchens/bathrooms/doors/windows) jobs go out to tender, usually bundled into 10 house lots.

Works for us and the transaction overhead is a phone call to Mavis. Nothing like £40 per household!

Edit: QA contractors have to be on the qualified list held by the housing management agent. Published criteria and appeals process if any company refused &c.

Why so large a scale one asks?

Coat: mine's the one with a copy of E. F. Schumacher's volume in the pocket

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Small and local

I read the story thinking, that's one expensive database. But eventually it becomes clear, that's not what the money refers to: it's more like the total value of work being directed through the platform.

In your case, it sounds like you don't have a very clear understanding of the costs. Who pays for the list of approved suppliers?

4. Insert sadsack pun here

I don't think it's the tenants that will be buying and scheduling the works - surely the landlords...?

5. clyde666

where?

This reads that it covers work in the south east of England.

So why are all the prices in the article in US dollars?

1. Insert sadsack pun here

Re: where?

They're not...?

The only dollar figure I see is the one at the end, the $4+m invested into the provider.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like