back to article If you think you've got problems, pal, spare a thought for these boffins baffled by 'oddball' meteorites

Meteorites discovered strewn across Earth after the 1960s may have broken off the same planetesimal body. What’s more, scientists have discovered signs this ancient body had a molten core, which turns some cosmological thinking on its head. The boffins studied two of these specimens, named Colomera and Techado. The pair belong …

1. redpawn

POE

Purity of Essence is the governing rule here. Meteors come from God and are pure in nature, uncontaminated by man. Thus a meteor can not be two things at once. One might as well insist that Scotland is in some way different from England.

1. Blofeld's Cat

Re: POE

"... Thus a meteor can not be two things at once ..."

Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the [White] Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

(White queen takes Red pawn, check)

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Science is the governing rule here. Science does not content itself with "it's God what did it". Science wants to know.

If we were supposed to ignore how our Universe was made and how it works, God would not have given us intelligence. As a Christian, I believe it is our duty to study the Universe that God gave us in order to truly comprehend His power.

I believe in a God that can count beyond ten thousand.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

I believe in a God that can count beyond ten thousand.

But can He count beyond ℵ0?

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge
          Angel

Wikipedia knows about ℵ1. Does that that mean Wikipedia is God?

p.s. Of course not: Wikipedia has verifiable citations ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

But Wikipedia also knows that ℵ1 is uncountable. And this no-one, not even God, can count to ℵ1.

Amusingly Wikipedia also knows that ℵ was often historically printed upside-down by mistake!

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge
          Alien

He can count from aleph-alpha to aleph-omega.

1. JK63
            Happy

All learned people know that the real challenge is counting to aleph-aleph. ;-)

3. You aint sin me, roit
      Trollface

Jesus wants me for a stream of photons

A mere mortal's comprehension of ineffable God is necessarily incomplete, including whether God intended meteors to be two things at once.

Won't even mention the wave/particle duality of sunbeams...

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Jesus wants me for a stream of photons

$deity may not roll dice, but they can put Hilbert in a qubicle. But as always, there is truth in Wiki-

Applying the superposition principle to a quantum mechanical particle, the configurations of the particle are all positions, so the superpositions make a complex wave in space.

Which is also the real reason behind either banning or limiting crowds at sporting events so their wave function doesn't collapse. Politicians have noticed N.Korea's disturbing fascination with crowd experiments following on from J.F.C Fuller's earlier theories, and tasked the Laundry to observe, and if necessary, act.

But I digress. Experiments have demonstrated quantum behaviour in ever larger particles, or particle collections, and thus it follows that an advanced civilisation can produce this effect in meteorites. Luckily for humanity, these have thus far exhibited the two states, although rumors exist that others have been observed in classified reports, such as cats, whales and bowls of petunias. 'Stimulus funding' has thus been a convenient cover to divert money into developing defences against QBMs (Quantum Ballistic Meteorites) and QBMs (Quantum Ballistic Missiles). The latter having a larger share as superposed warheads could provide both enhanced lethality, and deniability.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

This is either a very clever and funny way of working Scottish independence (and hence inevitably, as a trail of dogshit follows a dog, brexit) into the comments, or mad.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Yes.

5. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Pint

I'm going to assume this is a clever invocation of Poe's Law and upvote accordingly.

Have a Real Ale.

6. Roger Kynaston
      Mushroom

You are General Jack D Ripper and I claim my pure grain spirit mixed with rain water.

Top class boffinry by the scientists though.

1. redpawn

You are very perceptive and enjoy wise choice of drink. I would be honored to share my private stock with you at any time. Continue to defend yourself from impurities and we will emerge in God's good grace after this is over.

2. not.known@this.address
    Boffin

Weird objects showing signs of being both Melty and Non-melty origin?

Hmm, what a shame they couldn't just be from a plain non-molten-cored planetesimal and got a bit melty on their way through the atmosphere...

1. Jon 37

Re: Weird objects showing signs of being both Melty and Non-melty origin?

Stuff gets melty as it falls through the atmosphere because the outside layer gets heated up, making the outside melt.

If I understand the article correctly, they found melty on *inside* bits. So not from falling through the atmosphere.

1. mtp

Rocks fall through the atmosphere far too quickly to melt. They come in at a minimum speed of 11 Km/s and usually much faster but the atmosphere is only a few 10s of Km thick, more if they come in at a glancing angle but even then they don't spend enough time in the atmosphere to get hot and certainly not enough time for the middle to even get warm.

1. aks

That's why you're advised not to pick up a freshly-fallen meteorite, not because it's hot but because it's very very cold.

2. General Purpose

Meteors do get hot, hot enough that the surface melts and ablates, usually so completely that they never reach Earth's surface. Most satellites are also destroyed by the heat of re-entry and it makes the news when bits of them endanger people by making it all the way through the atmosphere. The heat of re-entry is so great that gases around returning spacecraft ionise, making radio communication impossible. Heat-shield failure is deadly.

3. Cranky_Yank
    Happy

Now you've done it!

All this talk about melty insides has made me crave a grilled-cheese sandwich.

1. Mark 85

Re: Now you've done it!

With some bacon I hope.

4. DrG

Maybe it's a completely new type and forces us to rethink what we thought we knew and all that...

...or they are simply from two separate celestial bodies, one of each type...

Researchers hearing footsteps and thinking zebra?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Aliens

Obviously this was an alien ship, camouflaged in an asteroid, which suffered a critical meltdown.

Unfortunately the lizard people won't let the boffins publish this.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: Aliens

David Icke is one of the lizard people... He will!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Well, that explains what happened to Planet Nine!

Planet Nine (born: 4.3 billion BCE, died: 1960-something AD)

Alas, we hardly knew ye.

7. Uffish

I have forgotten even my primary school physics but...

You can magnetise a lump of iron by banging it with a hammer. It needs to be in a magnetic field when you hit it of course. Could the same sort of process occur in a chunk of a planetesimal body? This would require a halfway decent magnetic field somewhere out there but the hammer could be replaced by a lot of the stuff already whizzing around space.

8. JCitizen
    Meh

Collisions..

Let's assume, just for kicks, that these two objects were from the same body(planetesimal); if the mass and speed were enough and they collided, then a lot of heat could be generated. Since one of them shows evidence of magnetism, I'd assume that was the larger body, that piece was blown off by the original collision, and wasn't melted, where as the other one was right in the middle of the heat zone and melted upon impact. I would think it would float around like a lava blob in space until it cooled down again, or struck some other object. The whole thing is chaos in the asteroid belt of course. I'm just an ignorant layman, but this seems simple to me - maybe I just have a simple mind.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like