back to article SpaceX to return NASA 'nauts to Earth with a splash

NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine confirmed last week that the intrepid SpaceX duo, astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley, would be departing the International Space Station (ISS) on 1 August, with a splashdown of the Crew Dragon capsule targeted for 2 August. The exact date will depend on the weather. Unlike the Space …

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I watched that Minotaur IV launch and was really impressed by its performance. Being a former Peacekeeper ICBM, it gets up and moves. Supersonic in under 20 seconds according to Scott Manley and the Max-Q callout came just before Mach 4. When the party's in Moscow, you don't want to be late...

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/07/14/minotaur-4-nrol-129-mission-status-center/

1. Lars Silver badge
      Joke

Slowest start I have ever seen, almost one and a half minute.

2. bazza Silver badge

From the article:

Airbus has plenty of fingers in the Skynet pie, having been involved in Skynet 5 since 2003, and has had a hand in all Skynet phases since 1974

Well, Airbus is simply the latest in a string of corporate ownerships of the organisation and sites building satellites. I expect the people there have got used to changing the name plate after all these years, seems to be an essential skill for engineers these days in some sectors.

3. Adair Silver badge

Splash

-- so last century.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Splash

Reusable rockets...

So this century.

4. Real Ale is Best
    Boffin

Meanwhile...

The booster that launched Dragon has been turned around and flown another mission, complete with a perfect landing, ready to be used again.

How quick can SpaceX refurbish their falcons? Pretty good for something that "couldn't be done".

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile...

I'm wondering if/when customers will ask to use a pre-flown booster rather than a brand new (and technically untested) one.

After all, most people would prefer to fly on a plane that's been test flown at least once since it was built.

1. Psmo

Re: Meanwhile...

If i remember right there's also quite the client discount for flying the reused equipment.

5. AJ MacLeod
    Headmaster

Argh!

"Three more NASA 'nauts will be sat in the capsule this time"

I suppose I had better clarify, since this horrific abuse of the fine English language has become far too common. They will be SITTING in the capsule! Afterwards, they will have sat in the capsule, and at some point in the future they will sit in the capsule.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Argh!

And looking back from the distant future they will have sat in the capsule...

Not only is the tense in the article/quote wrong, so is the voice.

The astronauts will sit in the capsule and be strapped in.

2. Jonathon Desmond

But what if the capsule is going faster than light?

Time to invoke the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional tense.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Time to invoke the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional tense....."

Had to double check that post. I thought amanfrommars had entered the discussion for a sec.

Now, where's my towel?

1. CliveS
          WTF?

The definitive guide to this is/was/will be Dr Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveller's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. Definitely the book to read/had-read/read-on on the subject.

3. A.P. Veening Silver badge

I suppose I had better clarify, since this horrific abuse of the fine English language has become far too common.

No abuse, just a slightly unusual form of English, they don't sit down there themselves but some helpers are putting them in those seats. Compare it with "being seated" at a formal dinner.

1. nagyeger
        Headmaster

In that case, they:

Fut: will be seated there.

Fut Perf: will have been seated there

etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like