back to article Less than six months after original release, Samsung reboots its Galaxy Z Flip pholdable for the 5G age

Pholdables remain a vanishingly small niche of the smartphone market, due to their high costs and endemic durability concerns. Nobody, it seems, told Samsung, which just announced an upgraded 5G version of the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip. So, what's changed? Truthfully, not much. In addition to the inclusion of 5G (which supports …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Facepalm

A fool and their money are easily parted.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

These “fools” always seem to have plenty of money to spare.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Obviously some demand

5G isn't really raising eyebrows outside Asia where it's been available for longer. Presumably these are selling in Korea and elsewhere. It would also suggest that many of the problems with the first implementation have indeed been resolved.

Do I want one? No, because I couldn't use it as a navigation device on my bike. But scale it up a bit and I'd be more interested. Of course, due to higher costs and lower yields that's not going to be happening soon but some day all "convertibles" might be made this way.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But... hang on...

I thought 5G produces covid; or covid produces 5G, I don't remember which way round damn it!

STOP SHOUTING AT ME!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

No.

I absolutely wouldn't buy one of these for three reasons:

1. It's made by Samsung, so won't work properly. will break easily and Samsung will offer their usual level of after-sales service, i.e. None.

2, It'll be full of shoddy bloatware. Unremovable shoddy bloatware.

3. Its price is way beyond amusing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: No.

I've thought of a 4th reason:

4. It'll receive software updates for approximately 37 minutes after its release date. Then, nothing...

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
        WTF?

"4. It'll receive software updates for approximately 37 minutes after its release date."

On which model(s) do you base this?

My mistress has a three-year-old Galaxy S8, and it just received the June 2020 Android update.

1. Anonymous Coward
          IT Angle

If I researched and fact checked everything I posted, then I wouldn't have time to post. And who'd want that?

2. werdsmith Silver badge

4. Android OS.

3. aki009

There's one thing that makes Samsung phones stand out above the rest.

It comes with the roman candle feature. It's one of those things that few appreciate until they are lost in the wild and need to make a quick fire to warm up or signal for help; Samsung phones can start even the wettest wood in no time at all.

5. DenTheMan

Durability concerns =

Phone made by foreigner.

FORREINNGGERR

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5G ?

FFS, its only another chip, why so much premium?

$1500 for an effing phone, when hardly any 5G available in uk.(Thats another sob story).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like