back to article Google forced to defend new trademark foundation as Knative community takes umbrage at 'neutrality' claims

Google's open source director Chris DiBona has defended the web giant's motives in forming a new foundation to manage open-source trademarks during a Knative community meeting. The Open Usage Commons (OUC) was set up, according to its board, "because free and fair open source trademark use is critical to the long-term …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. DJV Silver badge

OUC(H)!

One cannot help considering that, with a bit more thought and the addition of an extra word beginning with H, the Open Usage Commons could have been known by a much more memorable (and painful?) acronym. How about the Open Usage Commons Horde?

3. iron Silver badge

Everything I've read about this OUC sounds like it is designed to be as closed, opaque and unhelpful as possible.

4. Gonzo wizard
    WTF?

"Will any other vendor be able to join the board"

A slightly more hostile version might be "Why aren't other vendors in the founding board". DiBona's answer is revealing - "The only thing that's going to prove neutrality will be time" - time and other vendor representation to keep Google honest. With Google the only vendor on the board, neutrality can't be taken for granted - in either the short or long term.

I don't see this foundation being terribly helpful as long as it looks like a closed shop.

5. Fat_Tony
    Trollface

Sounds pretty neutral to me

With no other vendors on the board they're free to shaft everyone equally

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sounds pretty neutral to me

hmm.... didn't a certain senior Oracle exec end up at Google. I believe that he was prone to making some pretty crazy decisions at Oracle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like