back to article Twitter Qracks down on QAnon and its Qooky Qonspiracies

Twitter has decided to crack down on QAnon, the bizarre conspiracy theory that suggests US president Donald Trump is working to expose a cabal of deep-state Satanist paedophiles that secretly runs the world. The avian network made its medium the message, as follows: We’ve been clear that we will take strong enforcement action …

1. lglethal Silver badge
    WTF?

Wait what?

"... the Republican party he leads has endorsed candidates that openly espouse QAnon theories."

So the Party that has held the majority in both houses of Congress for the vast majority of the last 26 years (20 out of the last 26 years in the the house of representatives, and 18 out of the last 26 years in the senate) and controlled the Presidency for half of that time. Additionally, during that 26 years, the republicans had control of all 3 of the presidency, house of representatives and congress for 8 years (Democrats had that full control for only 2 years in that 26 year period), and yet they believe that there is a deep state that controls the world? And they believe that they're not the ones in charge???

If they truly believe that, then what the hell have they been doing throughout all those years they were in power????

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Wait what?

What do you expect? The purpose of being in power is to be in power, not to *do* anything.

2. Phil Koenig

DoubleThink and DoubleSpeak are a central part of the US Republican party's disinformation tradecraft today. Quite a lot of their statements and positions are at direct odds with their actual acts and history.

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

WAR IS PEACE

1. TheMeerkat

It is not them who ban other points of view.

It is the illiberal so-called “liberals” who are doing the banning and cancelling.

1. jake Silver badge

It's not banning a point of view. It is choosing what is or is not allowed on their service.

Do you allow all and sundry to paint graffiti on your living room walls and on your car at night, anonymously or otherwise? Do you consider yourself a censor?

2. Geoffrey W

I know I'm a bit late, but...If it is the liberals doing the banning then it's by default as it's the republicans and Libertarians who are posting all the crap.

3. jake Silver badge

They don't actually believe it, silly. They are just pandering for the votes of the idiots who do believe it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They are just pandering for the votes of the idiots who do believe it.

To be fair, what can you really expect from a population where, at the last count, 40% of them are so blinkered* / stupid* / uneducated* that they believe in creationism...

*delete as appropriate

1. Anonymous Coward
          Angel

Wait, you mean the Earth wasn't made by Gaia, daughter of Chaos, and humans weren't created from clay by Prometheus? Blasphemy!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Wait, you mean the Earth wasn't made by Gaia, daughter of Chaos

Well, I certainly do not dismiss it out of hand, just because it sounds funny! Sense of humour, I wonder where we got it from?! :D

4. Triggerfish

Yeah but they never do hold up to critical thinking. I mean imagine I am a member of big pharma, and there's is this one rogue nutritionist who has found the truth and wont be silenced in a global conspiracy about vaccines that has co-opted 99.5 % of the scientist and medical people on the planet as well as all the governments, and while many are silenced he is still here fighting the fight.

There is this guy, saying Vitamin B and Manatee poop is the way to stop whatever disease and you don't need to buy my drugs, and revealing all these things about me controlling the world, and also posting his name and address on facebook so people can order and fight off the effects of big pharma.

Wouldn't I just be calling my PA and saying 'Hey get the president on the line, I want to borrow seal team six'?

5. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Trollface

Republicans, like Christians, need to believe that they're persecuted - it means they must be right.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Republicans are the Deep State, look at all the things they accuse the Democrats of doing ... they are all things that the Republicans do; building huge deficits, gerrymandering, stealing votes, threatening military takeovers of state by Federal Troops, cancelling Medicare etc etc etc.

They know about all these things because they are the experts at doing them.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Let's not confuse Christians with Roman Catholics.

Not all Christians are adepts of self-flagellation.

6. Fluffy Cactus

The manufacture of false, fake, insane rumor and conspiracy theories

has at least three, ok, four purposes:

1) Get people talking about nonsense, so that they are distracted from what goes on behind the scenes.

2) Be as divisive as possible. Always attack, never apologize, deflect and replace nutty with even nuttier.

3) Accuse the opposing party of all the things that the Republicans are guilty of:

Example: Trump went on numerous junkets with Epstein and Ghislaine, and there

are many different pictures of that. Given the testimony of the abused underage girls,

and the (either murder or suicide) death of Epstein, the arrest of Ghislaine, the rumors, the things Trump admitted to himself, his longings to date his daughter, etc. we

can safely assume that Trump didn't go to that island trip to collect sea shells.

(I am not going to leave out the fact, that Bill Clinton was another one of those arrogant, over-sexed, entitled a$$h0les with a hankering for under age sex partners, because that's true as well)

Since that looks bad, Repub political slime ball operatives were busy to come up with

the most absurd story of saying that "Hillary is running a sex trafficking ring out of the

basement of a pizza shop". Patently false, but when you try to make other people look

bad, then your own dirty deeds don't look as bad, by comparison.

That's how that works. Just ask yourself "Who benefits from that lie" and you know

out of which quarters it's coming from.

Example: Conservatives are the most racist, so QAnon has to accuse Democrats of being

the most racist. Not really the case. (You can convince me easily that everyone is racist, because racism is implicitly contained in the human emotions of fear, hate, greed, and the idea of wanting to push someone down in order to feel more amazing yourself. Who among us does not have several relatives that they can barely stand? A limping comparison, but there it is.)

Example: Republicans hate Medicare and Medicaid ( These are USA Gov run totally insuficient health care plans with 100 loopholes to charge you extra fees, but, they are at the very least

better than nothing). When Democrats wanted to expand Medicare ot cover more people

with it, Republicans accused Democrats of wanting to "destroy Medicare". Totally false attack!

4) Make up even more unbelievable and crazy stories, if only for the purpose of "getting

both your own followers" as well as those "who don't believe a word you are saying"

USED to the constant barrage of insanity, weirdness, craziness. Why, because against

the backdrop of "effing crazy", the "insane policies being pursued look "merely relatively

speaking" a tiny bit more harmless. In other words, compared to garbage, this trash doesn't

smell as bad.

Teenagers use the same scheme, when they ask whether the parents could buy them

a car, and if not that, then may be a motorcycle, and if not that, can I get at least some

cash to go to the movies. Use that method too often, and it's clear to the dullest parent

what you are trying to do here.

Qanon is nothing but a managed propaganda scheme, bought and paid for by Republican secret

operatives. Why? Because who benefits from these crazy lies?

It is quite possible that my own world view is biased, misinformed and manipulated. I can admit to that easily.

I leave you with Mark Twain's observation from 140 years ago: "If I don't read the papers, I am uninformed. If I read the papers, I am misinformed!"

1. jake Silver badge

Then again maybe, just maybe, qanon started as nothing more than 4chan kiddies trolling the adults for the lolz, and a bunch of Konspiracy Kooks took it and ran with it. I rather suspect Ol' Bill of Ockham would find this scenario more to his liking.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Democracy in the USA

Is to McDonalds in fine dining.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I can't help thinking that the best way to deal with things like this is to take advantage of the fact that those who believe conspiracy theories are both paranoid and gullible. Don't try to explain there is no deep state. Accept they believe it exists and play on that by launching counter conspiracy theories along the generic lines of $CONSPIRACY_THEORY is a lie propagated by the deep state to distract you from $WHATEVER_ELSE_THEY_CAN_BE_PERSUADED_TO_FEAR

Cynical? Moi?

1. jake Silver badge

I thought about trying that.

But then, taking the concept to it's illogical conclusion, I realized that they might wind up voting for me and I don't want that job.

(Before you poo-poo the above, consider that a bad SciFi author once made a bar-bet that he could start his own religion ...)

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

$CONSPIRACY_THEORY is a lie propagated by the deep state to distract you from $WHATEVER_ELSE_THEY_CAN_BE_PERSUADED_TO_FEAR

That doesn't work, and would readily be accepted as truth, because it still confirms that deep state is evil. It doesn't matter what the allegations are, even if utterly contradictory, so long as it furthers the deep state is evil narrative. You've only added to the conspiracy.

You need something to turn it on its head; something which suggests deep state is simply an invention or a scapegoat, by way of some distraction or other. But deep state would claim that, wouldn't they?

It's insidious.

3. phuzz Silver badge

You could argue that by not distancing themselves from the whole QAnon thing, that that is exactly what the Republicans are doing. As another commenter notes above, to whatever extent there is a "deep state", it's broadly Republican.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

You can argue until you're blue in the face, it won't make any difference.

Either you're intelligent, or you're an adept of conspiracy theories.

A famous man once said : "Don't argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience".

4. DrXym

"Don't you think that antivax stories could be a conspiracy by China and Russia to amplify messages weaken the health of the United States?"

A conspiracy that has more basis in fact that the nutcasery they usually swallow.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

No, the original ant-vax conspiracy theory, MMR, was a particularly ingenious one.

The deep state is worried that welfare legislation is removing natural selection's ability to root out people who aren't bright enough to cope on their own. You can't Darwin out people who've already bred. What you can do is get them to stop their offspring breeding hence MMR. One of the Ms of the MMR vaccine is mumps. If you can persuade the numpties from vaccinating their offspring against mumps you make use of one of the side-effects of mumps, male infertility.

The real genius of the way this conspiracy was planted was to make a fuss about the other M, measles. That distracts from what it's really about.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bizarre conspiracy theory?

"cabal of deep-state Satanist paedophiles that secretly runs the world."

In light of recent events I struggle to see how this is still considered a conspiracy theory.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: bizarre conspiracy theory?

The part that's hard to believe is that Trump is the white knight fighting them.

1. Rockets

Especially when there's numerous photo's of Trump with Epstein & Maxwell.

1. You aint sin me, roit
          Gimp

"I wish the sex-trafficking, paedo-enabling whore well".

1. DS999 Silver badge

This is one of Trump's tells - when he is worried someone will reveal damaging information about him he 1) distances himself ("I hardly know this person") and 2) says positive things about them (at least until they start cooperating, then he goes negative)

Clearly he's worried she will spill some beans on him. Whether it is something merely embarrassing or truly criminal who knows, but if it is the latter and I was her I'd be asking to have myself put on suicide watch, and put extra cameras and people in place so there isn't an impossibly convenient breakdown of every camera and process like there was with Epstein.

5. Chairman of the Bored

Juvenal called?

So mass appeasement has gone from "panem et circenses" - let them have bread and circuses - to "Let them have Twitter and twats"

We're screwed.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Juvenal called?

It's cheaper this way. And easier on the lions...

6. Chris G
    Devil

I had heard the name Qanon but never really paid it any attention and know almost nothing of what passes on Twatter.

Having just read a few articles on the subject to bring myself somewhere near to speed on it, I suspect the whole thing is a psyops manoeuvre by Pompeo to get the pseudoreligeous loonies to vote for Trump.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Exactly, QAnon is a Republican re-election strategy - banning QAnon will wake up Trumps voters.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

How can one prove that is not a Democratic strategy ?

1. jake Silver badge

How can one prove YourDearOldMum is not The Most Excellent Grand High PooBah in Charge of The Lizard People?

2. jake Silver badge

Qanon started with kiddies trolling on 4chan.

What else do you need to know?

1. DS999 Silver badge

Scientology started as a prank too, look where it is now.

1. jake Silver badge

I'm pretty sure someone already mentioned that up there ^^ somewhere ...

It doesn't alter my point, to wit Consider The Source.

7. DrXym

These nuts are really something special

These fuckwits managed to concoct a ridiculous pizza parlour paedo sex trafficking ring conspiracy out of thin air and name dropped Chrissy Teigen and others into it. And now Teigen had to block a million accounts from these morons who either sent her death threats, abuse or liked abuse sent by others.

A million accounts. I assume some are bots and trolls but it also points to how determinedly stupid these people are. Twitter seem to be taking them a bit more seriously but I wonder why the service doesn't make it harder in general for trolls / bots to operate, e.g. by restricting new accounts and throwing more captchas and other spanners at accounts that appear to be operating abusively.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: These nuts are really something special

Twitter only want to keep the Ban Button in their camp. They want to control the politics as they see fit, end of story...

2. DS999 Silver badge

If Twitter blocked all the bots and trolls they'd have to report half the traffic on their next earnings call and the executive stock options would lose billions in value!

1. DrXym

I see it as a double edged sword - no advertiser wants to piss away money on bots. They want their ad impressions to be seen by human beings. So yeah Twitter might have to adjust their figures but at the end of the day if they have a more refined audience then it doesn't materially hurt then at all.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Sure that's why they need to remove some bots, they need to be seen as making the effort. But they aren't doing nearly as good of a job as they could if they were incentivized to do so.

8. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Twitter ...

"... happily hosts adult entertainers and their video content."

And I happily watch it. Don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

1. Mike 16

Typo Re: Twitter ...

Don't go throwing the babe out with the bathwater

FTFY

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Typo Twitter ...

"throwing the babe out with the bathwater"

I'm not going to go look to make sure, but I'm fairly certain that I saw that in a CIO's personal pr0n collection once.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a cabal of deep-state Satanist paedophiles that secretly runs the world

banning discussion of the subject is the ULTIMATE proof it's ALL TRUE!!! The end is near, mark my words! :D

10. Nunyabiznes

Epstein

The whole cabal thing seems right up there with chemtrails to me.

However, I believe no one in the upper echelons of the Republican and Democrat parties or Hollywood wants all the dirt to come out of Epstein's fantasy island. I'm wondering when what's her name (Epstein's ex-mistress) is going to commit suicide by a double-tap to the back of the head.

I think it would shake the whole strata of power brokers (political, corporatel and entertainment) to the ground.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Such Hypocrisy

Since they say QAnon is a conspiracy and will be censored, then why don't the censor real conspiracies such as the MSM's "Russia, Russia, Russia" conspiracy that went on for almost 3 years? Or what about the current COVID-19 conspiracy for a virus that is no more deadly than a common cold? Or how about the man-made global warming conspiracy? Or how about the Obama was a qualified presidential candidate conspiracy? Or how about the conspiracy that 9/11 twin towers fell because of airplanes running into them? Or how about the Pentagon was rammed by an airplane? This could go on and on and on and on ... Seems they only want to censor subjects that do not conform to their agenda. Wait, is that another conspiracy?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Such Hypocrisy

Bad troll. No cookie.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Whoosh?

Maybe. Who can tell?

1. jake Silver badge
          Pint

Looks like a troll, smells like a troll.

Could be I tripped over some Poe fool ... Perhaps.

All these ACs look alike to me.

2. Cav Bronze badge

Absolutely, must be a troll. No one could be that stupid.

12. You aint sin me, roit
    FAIL

Lack of imagination

Why are the conspiracy theories so limited? Always the usual satanic, paedo allegations... just a grubby preoccupation with illicit sex...

Where is the towering vision of the creation of a world where a privileged few will have access to everything the world has to offer, while the vast masses labour away in servitude to support them? Where there's one rule for them, another for the rest... where if you are rich enough you can do as you will, and laugh at the aspirations of the poor. Where the rich get tax cuts and the poor have services taken from them to pay for it.

And the rich can buy all the sex they want... and pay for those indiscretions to be covered up.

Something like Trumpworld.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Lack of imagination

"Why are the conspiracy theories so limited?"

From simple minds come simple products.

13. TheMeerkat

Whatever one thinks of QAanon, but censorship is wrong.

1. jake Silver badge

This isn;t censorship.

The Qanan twats aren't being censored. They are still capable of babbling their incoherent message at anyone who chooses to listen to it. They just can't use my systems as a delivery medium. Nor can they use twitter's.

14. Cederic Silver badge

embedded tweets

Please El Reg, don't follow your lesser competitors into posting articles that are merely a sequence of embedded tweets with some linking text.

On this occasion it's understandable, given the report is about Twitter, but even so I'd have preferred a link to the tweets with the relevant text quoted in a more traditional form.

At least you didn't quote the text then embed the tweet. I've left sites over that one before now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like