back to article Cloud biz Blackbaud caved to ransomware gang's demands – then neglected to inform customers for two months

Blackbaud, a cloud software provider specializing in fundraising suites for charities and educational institutions, quietly paid off a ransomware attacker – and then got around to telling customers about it a full two months later. The biz admitted the attack in a statement earlier this week. Blackbaud claimed that the May …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blackbaud

I suppose they'll have to rename themselves VeryDarkGraybaud now...

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: Blackbaud

PriestsSocksBaud

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Captain Obvious
    FAIL

I can GUARANTEE

They kept a copy of the data to

1) Later use for blackmail again

2) Troll for information to find new victims

3) Troll through the data and use the data for other nefarious purposes

1. Richard Boyce

Re: I can GUARANTEE

Blackbaud probably just hope that the criminals use the data in a way that can't be linked back to this breach.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Blackbaud, a cloud software provider specializing in fundraising suites for charities and educational institutions"

Never likely to be confused with Blackboard, a cloud software provider specializing in learning tools for educational institutions.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Coat

Or BlackBored, the famous apathetical pirate... "Yo Ho Oh What's The Point", "Avast Meh Hearties" and so on.

2. sitta_europea Silver badge

They're just another bunch of spammers and I block all mail from their servers.

5. sitta_europea Silver badge

" ... Because protecting our customers' data is our top priority, we paid the cybercriminal's demand with confirmation that the copy they removed had been destroyed. ..."

I believe all that.

6. MrBanana

Only just got notified today

Just got the message today from my alumni association, 6 days after this report. So even longer for the compromised data to be out there without warning the owners. Funny how it has taken them so long, but they are so very prompt at asking their "esteemed previous scholars" for cash donations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Only just got notified today

List of UK universities affected now on BBC website - York, Oxford Brookes, Loughborough, Leeds, London, Reading.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh well...

As long as the scammers deleted their copy it's fine.

/S

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like