back to article This week of never-ending security updates continue. Now Apple emits dozens of fixes for iOS, macOS, etc

Apple has released a fresh batch of software security updates for its flagship devices. The July 15 security refresh from Cupertino includes fixes for bugs in iOS, macOS, tvOS, and WatchOS: basically every hardware product from the Cupertino giant. Given the massive patch overload this week, it's a good time to bury bad news …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

The song that doesn't end

It brings to mind an old Shari Lewis children's show skit. Brits and non-boomers will have no idea what I'm talking about. But perhaps it will bring a smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz6OGVCdov8

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The song that doesn't end

Not a boomer, but I remember Lamb Chop's Play Along mostly cause it was syndicated on my local PBS station well into the 90's maybe longer. Indeed, security is a never ending process.

2. Lazlo Woodbine

Huge updates

Why does an update from MacOS 10.15.5 to 10.15.6 involve a 2.96 Gb download?

Can't MacOS just patch the affected applications without downloading a fresh copy of the OS?

I guess huge downloads like this are fine in the world of fibre broadband, but I'm still on 8 meg ADSL out here in the sticks...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Huge updates

This one is smaller than the last one and doesn't involve the whole OS, which is about 11 GB. But basically it's easier to replace whole binaries rather than apply patches.

1. jelabarre59

Re: Huge updates

But basically it's easier to replace whole binaries rather than apply patches.

Easier for **Apple**, not so much the people who have to download and install the bloated sack.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Huge updates...and how much free disk space it expects when installing those updates.

And how much free disk space it expects when installing those updates.

Can't believe how much free disk space Apple updates seem to need, yet Apple still sells devices with pathetic 128GB SSDs + iOS devices with 32GB Flash storage.

1. D@v3

Re: Huge updates...and how much free disk space it expects when installing those updates.

quite a problem with updates for watchOS. Capacity on my series 3 is 4.8 GB, apparently, i have 0 bytes free. New update is 135 MB, so that is going to mean taking all the music off which takes ages, don't have any apps installed that i can remove, install the update and then put some of the music back on, which again, takes ages.

Her indoors has just brought a series 5 which has considerably more storage, but has an original SE, so faces similar problems any time an iOS update turns up.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xiaomi have a chance to take more market share, given how buggy Apple has become.

Xiaomi, while they have been doing a fairly good job on security updates/MIUI updates, just need to double down and concentrate on security patches and removing adware (by building the expected ad revenue for a typical device into the upfront price). Make security their No.1 goal, over more cosmetic changes like additional of pop up cameras, give devices a minimum 4-5 year life.

Having owned the workhorse Xiaomi MI8 for the last year, you really can't fault it as a phone (mainly for the reason the Qualcomm 845 hardware is near identical to an iPhone XS in performance) but costs £200 compared to £1000.

It's biggest fault?

Those ads in things like file manager and the music player. So much to like, yet so much to hate.

Yes, you can get rid of them, but nicer to have the option to pay a little more and not have them at all, I'd happily pay an annual sub for security updates over ads in file manager/music player, because the Xiaomi devices themselves are pretty good regards build quality.

As for security, Apple has lost it's shine, far too many preventable bugs/updates this year, that have found their way to the end-user. As other have said, Craig Federighi needs to be replaced at Apple.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Xiaomi have a chance to take more market share, given how buggy Apple has become.

When you post that Xiaomi patches much fewer vulnerabilities than Apple does, most people don't jump to the conclusion that Xiamoi's code has higher quality, but that it has more unpatched vulnerabilities.

Re: Xiaomi have a chance to take more market share, given how buggy Apple has become.

Or, inasmuch as Xiaomi's phones run Android, Xiaomi doesn't actually do a lot of software development.

When it comes to fixing vulnerabilities Android is now timelier than IOS, at least for devices running on Android ≥ 8.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Flaky Catalina

Came back yesterday to find my Mac had restarted itself. Again. Haven't seen MacOS this flaky for a while. Guess it's too much to expect this patchfest to resolve this particular BSOD because I'm probably holding it wrong or the machine is too old.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Flaky Catalina

Just buy a new one.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wish they'd fix outstanding bugs too. My Mac Mini only managed to scale the screen properly on my TV on startup on one particular Mojave release (can't remember which now). It was broken before that release and they rebroke it after and ever since. Oddly if you switch the TV on after its booted to the login screen its fine, but if you switch the TV on first then you can't see the finder bar and the dock is almost off screen. The biggest issue is booting into recovery mode as in that case it makes no difference when I switch the TV on - you can't see the menu bar and can't access the display control panel to change the scale. Nice one Apple.

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

"Came back yesterday to find my Mac had restarted itself. Again. Haven't seen MacOS this flaky for a while. "

Most likely you set up the machine to install updates automatically (which is quite sensible) and it did exactly that.

Stop

No, it crashed as it proudly told me "something went wrong". It really has done this a lot recently.

I don't have updates set to install automatically, not least because of Apple's terrible record when it releases new versions of MacOS: usually wait 6 months or more of other people playing guinea pig before I do.

5. SGJ

"It's a rough week to be overseeing a company's network security. Someone get them a drink or pizza."

Surely that "or" should be an "and"?

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
      Paris Hilton

Which class of drinks: caffeinated, alcoholic, ice water, other, all of the above?

(I won't even ask about pizza type & toppings; asking that opens a black hole.)

Paris --> because so many left-pond waitresses emulate(d) her, both in looks and intellect (and for many the latter came naturally).

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Also iOS 12.4.8

For "slightly" older iPhones, iOS 12.4.8 has just appeared, presumably with similar fixes. I think I asked before: when does support stop for iPhone models that aren't supported for iOS 13 and can't update past 12? I thought it was when 13 came out, but evidently not?

I probably shouldn't be talking about how old and unsupported my phone is, in public. But if I don't risk it, then who will?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correct me if I'm wrong

But don't all apple devices share the same Darwin kernel (at source code level, not binary obv) just with different sets of drivers? In which case a bug in the kernel would affect all their devices.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like