back to article Google gives Gmail's collab chops a good buffing to make it the 'home for work' while we're working from home

Google is to shovel yet more bells and whistles into its Gmail client in an effort to demonstrate its collaborative chops in an increasingly crowded marketplace. Javier Soltero, who skipped away from the doomed Cortana business at Microsoft in 2018 and is now veep of G Suite, talked up the integrated workspace, which combines …

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Flame

In before the legion of anti-fanboys descend on the thread to announce how they would never use Google, how teh Google is evil and steals your data and molests your pets, and why isn't old school email good enough for people now-a-days, dang Millennials with their Snapchats and Tikkety Toks wanting video and live document sharing and other fancy-pants features like that.

No, no, we know you have "legitimate security and privacy concerns," and anyone who doesn't share your exact concerns and react the same way is a moron who shouldn't be allowed to use a computer. Let's just take it as read that you are literally the only technically competent people in the whole world, and that it will all end in tears for the rest of us. Also, you have very large penis. Truly a magnificent circumference, I swear.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

YAY! I haza big penis!

My penis is !SO! big that the rest of you are living on it & call it Planet Earth.

*Cough*

I'll get my coat, it's the one with the electron microscope in the pocket...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

God no, you're welcome to your worldview, but especially since Privacy Shield wasn't (and those of us who were paying attention properly saw this one coming a mile of) the use of Google for business is going to get you fined into oblivion.

The consequences of reality invading the whole privacy make belief that the US has been playing are kinda dramatic, but hey, carry on. While you're at it, take your curtains down and tell us how much you earn (<> deserve, by the way).

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Meanwhile . . .

Google crams everything and the kitchen sink in Gmail, but leaves Return Receipts to the "professional" (aka paying) version.

Return receipts. I've been using that in Lotus Notes since 1995, and I'm supposed to believe that this is "professional" functionality ?

I do believe that return receipts are simply a part of internet email specifications since email was invented.

So how's about you make yourself useful and make return receipts available for everyone ?

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile . . .

Do you mean the confirmation-of-delivery kind of return receipt, or the confirmation-of-reading type? I've never felt the need for the former, as I'll get a standard bounce if something fails, and I find the latter kinda creepy. If I want to open an email and then pretend I haven't read it yet, then that's my prerogative. That's why I like the fact that Tutanota blocks all hotlinked images in emails by default. No hidden pixels for me, thanks.

2. poohbear

Re: Meanwhile . . .

Kmail has an option to ignore return-receipt requests.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Give it up google!

No one ever has wanted to use your messaging and conferencing programs, you keep releasing them, trying to force them down our throats by bundling them, and them you send the to the google graveyard.

We will never forget your attempt to kill email with your stupid "wave" that was going to kill email and chat. Seems no one listened to you then either.

1. quxinot

Gmail isn't the worst email solution out there.

Having all the crap shoved into it just slows it down and makes it worse, and they've been doing that pretty consistently for a long time. Not unlike when they tried to add google plus to every single service they had.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Ah, Google+: bandwagon, missed. Anyway, I've moved on to Tutanota now. Functionality and features are a little lacking, to be honest, and the client is buggy, but it's getting better. Still happier with it than I was with GMail, though. And of course, privacy blah blah.

2. Malcolm 1

I'm still mourning Google Inbox. Everything else seems very cluttered in comparison.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Ugh... that awful stock photo...

That stock photo of a young women grinning stupidly and vacuously into a laptop (probably not even switched on) is just awful. She looks like her IQ is hovering around the 85 mark, and the reason she's on the bed in her stupid childish pyjamas is that she's forgotten how to get off it. Ugh! Why so many women want to infantilise themselves is beyond me.

The daft thing is that the Register has all the stock photos it needs (safe for furlough):

https://www.theregister.com/Print/2014/04/23/ryobi_grinder_girl/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like