back to article Babe, I've changed! Twitter wants to try a relationship again with devs after first major API tweaks in years

For the first time in eight years, Twitter plans to introduce a major revision to its API that describes how developers can access the platform's data. In doing so, the shouty social network is making yet another attempt to stabilize its development platform and earn the trust of individual, academic, and corporate coders …

1. macjules
    Facepalm

Err

In doing so, the shouty social network is making yet another attempt to stabilize its development platform and earn the trust of individual, academic, and corporate coders whose software might just make the company more valuable.

Crossed lines perhaps?

2. Steve Graham

I was using one of the clients which were broken by the API change 2 years ago. Using it, I had a running chronological list of tweets, which made it useful for up-to-date information (travel news, road closures, for example).

That was impossible with the official client and the web interface, so I stopped using Twitter, since it had become almost useless.

Having checked recently, you STILL get a list of tweets in the order determined by Artificial Stupidity.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Janetter still works

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

...hopes external coders can make it a better place...

In much the same way as a farmer spraying a can of air freshener over his muck heap improves that.

At the end of the day, when your business is built on and is dependent on a ready supply of fermented shit there isn't much you can do to improve the place you keep it.

1. jake Silver badge

"when your business is built on and is dependent on a ready supply of fermented shit there isn't much you can do to improve the place you keep it."

Two words: Red wigglers.

Works for me. ::shrugs::

4. src

Censorship

Does the new API allow easy censorship of conservative opinions?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Censorship

src wonders "Does the new API allow easy censorship of conservative opinions?"

I dunno. Have twit app writers requested a method to censor[0] certain thoughts of non-like-minded people from appearing in their apps?

Presumably, the same API would allow the censorship of liberal opinions. Or "other" religious opinions. Or swearwords (whatever the fuck that means). Or adult themes. Or ... Huh. Come to think of it, one would think that the conservatives would welcome that option with open arms!

[0] In this case, Shirley that should be "filter" not "censor". Consult your local dictionary for more. Unless your local PTB have banned dictionaries because they contain bad words concepts that suggest learning to think for one's self might be a good idea ...

2. Michael Habel

Re: Censorship

Probably. But, I'm having a laugh ritght now since all the Blue Checks can't post right now. Makes you wonder if the great Twater hack of '20 will eventually lead to some juciy PDMs of our benevolent ruling calss (Obummer, Clinton, and Biden)?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe twitter should merge with square

Advertising on twitter not a promising model but as a way to promote Square for payments very useful.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like