back to article Twitter mass hacking: Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Mike Bloomberg, Biden, Obama, more hijacked to peddle Bitcoin scam

The Twitter accounts of Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, Tesla CEO Elon Musk, and other celebrities were briefly taken over on Wednesday, along with the accounts of various cryptocurrency businesses and affiliated executives, to promote a Bitcoin scam. Fellow twits were told by the A-list stars to transfer BTC to the celebs, …

1. DS999 Silver badge

Obviously found a security hole in Twitter

No way all those people / companies used weak passwords and none of them were using 2FA.

Probably the only reason they didn't compromise Trump's account is Twitter probably has some extra layer of control on it due to the market moving potential if someone was able to tweet as him and claim we're declaring war on China or he's declaring nationwide martial law or whatever (especially because one couldn't be sure that either of those isn't something he would do...)

1. Maelstorm Bronze badge

Re: Obviously found a security hole in Twitter

Or an inside job. Twitter might have more issues than a few account hijackings.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

What a shame for the scammers though, The Donald attracts self-selecting marks like shit attracts flies

1. logicalextreme

I like to think they just couldn't bring themselves to touch that particular account. They'd have had to set up a completely separate bitcoin address and somehow washed the bitcoins afterwards.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or it's Trump doing it. I hear he has some debts to pay and the NSA on speed-dial

3. JDX Gold badge

Nobody would believe Trump would give them money.

4. Gonzo wizard
      Thumb Up

It's pretty appalling that so many accounts have been affected. I mean, clearly, internal accounts and tools have been compromised through spear phishing. And once in, it appears that there's no firewalling of access to accounts (it's as if every person with the tools has access to every account).

Twitter's red and blue teams (do these even exist) will be feeling pretty sheepish right now. I watched it happen in real time and saw how long it took for Twitter to respond at all.

Jack's got a lot of work to do, not just to work out exactly what happened, but to also restructure systems and teams to stop it happening again, and finally to minimise the scope for abuse if somebody in operations is successfully compromised again.

This event, and the way Jack et al react to it, could be what decides what Twitter's long term future looks like.

5. Mark 85

Probably the only reason they didn't compromise Trump's account is Twitter probably has some extra layer of control on it due to the market moving potential if someone was able to tweet as him and claim we're declaring war on China or he's declaring nationwide martial law or whatever

If they had, there probably would have piles of money flowing in from the Trump Faithful. Possibly even bankrupted some. What's strange to me is that there's no diehard Trump supporters in the lists I've seen.

2. iron Silver badge

lol it's a Jita local scam irl

Jita huh? Jita as in Jita 4-4? I'm probably one of the few who actually got the reference, if it's what I'm thinking it is.

1. iron Silver badge

Exactly. I can never understand why people send them fake money in EVE but to send real money? Crazy.

2. Blazde Silver badge

Except without the tempting sophistication of sometimes actually doubling your money!

(Hit me up and I'll tell you which Jita scammers will double up to what amount, but please keep the info to yourself)

Let me guess.... Erotica 1...err...Erotica 2. #1 got banned after that audio surfaced awhile back. He came back as #2.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

We detected what we believe to be a coordinated social engineering attack by people who successfully targeted some of our employees with access to internal systems and tools

Hi, I'm billionaire Elon Musk. I need to change my e-mail address to 1234567890@mailinator.net but I've forgotten my password and it won't let me.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A sad reflection on society

No, not the hack but the 'cult of celebs' that seens to dominate so much of the media these days.

Thankfully, us fully paid up members of the GOM fraternity (Grumpy Old Men) and our sisters in the GOW sorority would have had nothing to do with this sort of shite.

We see the world through very cynical eyes. nothis is as good as it seems unless we grew it or made it ourselves.

There are times when being a 'Grumpy' pays off.

Membership is by invitation only and that comes via snail mail. None of this new fangled electronic wizzadry for us. Our records are etched into polished granite.

Have a nice day y'all! :) :)

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: A sad reflection on society

I don't think you have to be a GOW/M to see through the thin veneer of the celebrity cult. Just someone who can open their eyes and think for themselves.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: A sad reflection on society

"Just someone who can open their eyes and think for themselves."

And it that doesn't make you grumpy nothing will.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Twitter

Actually employs twits

Nice

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Idiots

You can send out fake tweets from Elon 'taking tesla private at 420' Musk, and asking for btc is the best way they can think of to make money?

At least we know we are looking for a bunch of 10year olds

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Idiots

Given how many accounts were compromised I'm betting the attack was automated. The scammers may have considered what compromising certain of the accounts could be worth, but were more interested in making sure they couldn't get caught than making the biggest possible score.

The problem with doing something like sending a tweet as Musk mentioning a recall of Model 3s is that in order to profit from that you'd need to make market transactions both before and after the tweet to cash in. You either need a LOT of cash to have sufficient margin to borrow a lot of shares to sell short, or do something that stands out even more obviously using options. And you need to have some way of cashing out before your account gets frozen. Not just cashing out of your market account, but getting the money to somewhere the SEC can't touch it anywhere in the world.

While I'm sure that's doable if you have sufficient knowledge of the international banking system, it isn't going to be as easy to do as moving bitcoin from one wallet to another. Its kind of like saying "if you're gonna rob a bank why not rob the US mint since there's a lot more money there?"

The timing of the exploit was also right around when a lot of Twitter employees would be commuting home. Maybe that was a coincidence, or maybe that was deliberate in an attempt to maximize the time it would take for them to figure out what was going on and stop it. That unfortunately conflicts with the timing required to execute stock market shenanigans (though I guess they could have tried them at the market open)

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Facepalm

"The timing of the exploit was also right around when a lot of Twitter employees would be commuting home."

"Commuting home" is so 2019. Nobody does that any more.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Not just cashing out of your market account, but getting the money to somewhere the SEC can't touch it anywhere in the world.

Tesla is the most shorted stock in the market. There are something like $20Bn in short positions - hiding your $1M in gains from that would be trivial. Probably easier than washing the fractional bitcoin from these small "investors"

1. DS999 Silver badge

You can't open an account and take a short position without putting in money to cover the margin, so you'd need at least $500K in cash or securities to deposit in the account first. Plus there are extra hoops to jump through to be approved for a margin account of that size, so it isn't just open one up and the next day you do the scam. The more hoops you have to jump through and the longer it takes, the bigger the risk there is of being caught.

2. Cederic Silver badge

A bunch of substantially wealthier 10 year olds though.

Sure, they now have a range of three letter agencies hunting them down but if you're in the middle of beautiful countryside in Eastern Europe or Central Africa, like you give a shit. You just made enough to retire.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter Hacked? Bitcoin Scam?

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

8. John_3_16

Suspicious

The cheeto man T-rump's account was not touched. And Putin was not mentioned either. Anyone else thinking a high powered Russian attack ordered from the USA might have just happened? Maybe a practice run for our November elections? Hmmmmm... Just say'n??? Be safe all...

9. John_3_16
    Facepalm

One question...

Is it too late to invest???

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like