back to article If you have Microsoft 365 and Windows Virtual Desktop, do you need Citrix? Apparently

Microsoft has agreed to make Citrix a "a preferred digital workspace solution" for its Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD), part of its Microsoft 365 suite. Described as a "multi-year agreement", the deal includes joint tools and services for migrating on-premises Citrix to Azure, joint products including Citrix Workspace (a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First phase of...

Embrace, extend and extinguish?

1. eswan

Re: First phase of...

They've been embracing and extending it for a very long time now. Citrix first came out for NT 3.51 I believe. Microsoft allowed them to live as long as they licensed their (citrix's) technology to them (microsoft) which Microsoft used for their Remote Desktop Protocol in NT4.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Surprised Microsoft never bought Citrix years ago.

Would have been a better money spaff than Nokia Mobile Division for example.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Maybe Microsoft could have made Citrix actually work properly.

I have about 40 Citrix users on my part of our network, and they have a tough time of it due it's instability.

1. D@v3

Re: stability

Really?

We have gone up from about 20 a day, to around 60 users a day with all this lockdown nonsense, and apart from spinning up a couple of extra VM's to cope with the load, haven't seen any problems.

2. aaronatthedoublef

Citrix pre-dates NT. They had a multi-user version of OS/2 that ran over LAN Man and dial-up back in 1991 or earlier.

2. pmelon

Tread carefully

We use WVD at work for maybe a couple of thousand users. They get a black screen at logon sometimes. Seems to be pot luck whether the user profile loads correctly. It’s not been that great, YMMV. I’m not involved in the ongoing fixing, but the whole thing has the feel of a beta test.

3. Mayday
    Meh

This Announcement

Still does not tell me why should buy, use, maintain, licence etc Citrix when I have an MS solution such as Office 365 in place.

1. P. Lee

Re: This Announcement

Client data bandwidth requirements?

Management?

Client compatibility?

I’d still be nervous if I were Citrix.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh...

There's alternatives that don't just lock you in to vdi/ rdsh with azure/ Citrix. VMware horizon can do better across public and private clouds. Go where you want

5. IGnatius T Foobar !

Whither Citrix? Wither Citrix?

Honestly, most of us thought that Citrix was going to die years ago when they licensed their core asset (multiuser remote Windows) back to Microsoft for inclusion in the main product. They've managed to stay scrappy since then. Now they're doing the same thing again. There is, of course, the assumption that the whole world wants everything to reside in a hyperscale cloud (Microsoft or Amazon). I assure you it does not. What the hyperscale overlords call "on prem" is increasingly NOT at the customer premise, but in a smaller hosting provider, often in a private cloud that has a more predictable cost model.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like