back to article Better get Grandpa off Windows 7 because zero-day bug in Zoom allows remote code execution on vintage OS

With world+dog on Zoom these days, news of a zero-day attack against the videoconferencing app would cause a stir, but relax – it's only if you're on Windows 7 or older. An independent researcher told ACROS Security about the flaw that would allow for remote code execution on any Zoom Client for Windows used by Windows 7, even …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably...

... M$ has no vested interest in a forced migration of everyone to the latest version of its Windows Stasiware and so can therefore be excluded from the list of suspects ?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Presumably...

Bugs are a Microsoft marketing feature, the marketing folk love them because this will move more people into their data collection systems (aka Windows 10). They will not fix it because it's making them money.

1. Halfmad

Re: Presumably...

Bugs are a fact of life in software and cheap hotels.

This bashing MS mentality is pretty childish, which is why I like it.

2. David Lewis 2
    Joke

Hang On A Minute!

" ... products or services that are marketed or targeted with the express purpose of tracking or monitoring another person or their activities ..."

Does that include Gmail?

The passing of information to the intended recipient is purely incidental to its Primary function.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hang On A Minute!

That includes the whole Google and each and every of its products.

3. MJI Silver badge

Pity that Windows stopped at 7

Because anything newer just isn;t

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't quite get it.

If I understand correctly, if you don't have Zoom, your Windows 7 is just fine so what is Microsoft supposed to patch ?

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: I don't quite get it.

The patch should remove Zoom.

5. Robert Moore
    Thumb Down

Try moving gramma to Windows 10, if you like pain.

All my grandparents, and my mother have unfortunately passed. As for my father I am counting the days until I can collect on his life insurance.

However I do help out with my girlfriends elderly aunt who simply can not understand why the new windows is worse than the old, can't understand why the new mail program is worse than outlook express, and why they had to change everything. (I can't say I disagree with her.)

Thank dog for teamviewer.

Honestly I doubt it would have been any more painful to just move her to Linux.

FYI, I did move my, non-technical, mother to Linux a few years before her passing, and it was mostly painless, after the first week or so questions of "What program do I use now instead of Internet Explorer?"

1. Danny Boyd

Re: Try moving gramma to Windows 10, if you like pain.

What a nice, loving thing to say about one's father!

1. arctic_haze

I would not pass judgment without knowing the history of their relations.

2. BenDwire Silver badge
      Linux

Honestly I doubt it would have been any more painful to just move her to Linux.

I made the choice to abandon windows when I decided to retire, as I couldn't be bothered to ascend the learning curve with WIn10. There was a lot of Duck Ducking in the early days, but now it's mostly settled down nicely. I like to keep my days interesting and grey cells active by using Debian Testing, but even then it *just works*. If I had to support another user it would be a trivial matter now.

Oddly enough I do have MS's Visual Code installed, and a few legacy Win programs on Wine, but I've managed to find decent native programs for everything else I need.

6. John Geek
    Pint

I have moved several folks onto win10 who initially had to be dragged kicking and screaming from win7...

1) I delete *ALL* the Microsoft 'apps' crud thats pinned to the start menu, and pin their favorite stuff there instead

2) I disable Cortana via a regedit hack

3) I setup Chrome (or Firefox, whihcever is their preferred browser) as the default, I also install MPC-HD as the default media player

3) I set them up with a local account (which yes, MS is hiding deeper each time)

and blam, in about 5 minutes they are perfectly happy, in a day they are amazed at how much faster it is. in a week they comment that it hasn't crashed once.

1. Blitheringeejit
      Thumb Down

And the following week...

...the default browser gets set back to Edge by an automatic update.

1. X5-332960073452

Re: And the following week...

No, it does not, it tries to trick you into doing so (I will admit).

7. arctic_haze

I am the Windows 7 using grandfather

But I do videoconferencing solely from my phone. Sorry, hackers.

8. chriskno

Go easy on the Grandpa

Having started work on an IBM 360/30 in 1969, some of us have actually made Granpa status, still keeping up (to a degree!) on technology and supporting lots of our age group. Windows 10? No problem, fast and easy to use, and despite what's said above none of the people I support have had Edge change the default browser. Lots of folk have an inbuilt dislike about anything Microsoft. I understand the feeling, except with me its anything Apple.

1. stiine Silver badge

Re: Go easy on the Grandpa

We have to maintain a minimum level of hate just to stay alive...

9. JCitizen
    Go

No worries mate!!

I'm still using Windows 7 and any patches that were cross platform with Win10 I will get also, though some things I won't need. I use micro patching and it works even better than what I had while MS was doing it - even my applications all get patched!! I will be using Win 7 for as long as my computer keeps running!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like