back to article Go on, devs, have a Flutter on Linux desktop apps: Google and Canonical launch alpha SDK

Google has hauled in Canonical to help extend the search giant's Flutter development framework to support Linux desktop applications. Flutter, designed primarily for cross-platform mobile applications, is a UI toolkit which uses the Dart language. It has production support for Android and iOS, beta support for web applications …

1. CAPS LOCK

"Snapcraft is the app store for Linux" Oh is it?

And here was me thinking it was a Canonical Trojan horse. Silly me...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

... Trojan Horse

Nice to see Mint has sent that particular horse to the knacker's yard.

1. NATTtrash

Re: ... Trojan Horse

Let's all just hope that Canonical doesn't do anything silly, like for example declaring *buntu-core some kind of dependency, trying to hinder a quick sudo apt purge -y snapd...

2. Robert Grant

So close

Flutter, designed primarily for cross-platform mobile applications, is a UI toolkit

Cool. Cool!

which uses the Dart language

Oh.

1. NetBlackOps

Re: So close

My reaction as well. I've literally lost count of the number of languages I've learned over the five decades in software engineering but it's become quite tiring to have someone come along and tell me about so "gooly, gee whiz" (proof right there how old I am) thing and then tell me I need to learn a new language. Rust? Makes sense. Dart? Ummm, no.

3. Blackjack Silver badge

Press F1 if you hate the Snap Store

The Snap Store is one of the main reasons why I use Mint Instead.

1. BenM 29 Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Press F1 if you hate the Snap Store

Yup. I hate the snap store.

My personal bugbear is that Snap Store/Snap update, in its default configuration, does not like network proxies despite Ubuntu 20.04 apparently having a "system" network proxy setting. It's not like a network proxy is a surprise in OS utility terms (>20 years , to my knowledge, since they became a thing)

<snip> rant about how much effort I needed to expend in order to make snap update/snapstore work on a proxied network and how much easier apt is to configure to use the proxy</snip>

At least Windows only has two places you need to set the proxy to make sure everything works.....

4. skierpage

Canonical supporting Flutter is probably bad for Linux

Flutter may be a good toolkit for Linux desktop apps, but tying it to Canonical's Snap store and allowing marketing garbage like "Snapcraft is the app store for Linux" is going to hurt it overall. GitHub issues like "flutter doesn't recognize applications installed through flatpak" don't inspire confidence that you can develop for Flutter with tools installed as flatpaks.

For the end-user, if Flutter becomes successful it would be nice for Flutter to be available as a Flatpak runtime. But with Fedora having some control over Flathub and preferring Gnome, and Canonical participating in Flutter development for Linux, I don't see it happening any time soon. <sigh>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like