back to article Road trip on Mars: Thrill as Curiosity rover races up to 0.06 miles per hour. Marvel as it takes a mile-long detour

NASA’s hardy Curiosity rover is on the move again: this time, a little road trip to avoid getting bogged down in Martian sand dunes. The six-wheeled robot is investigating Mount Sharp, a sedimentary mountain whose layers of rock should give scientists a better idea of the watery world Mars once was. But to do so, it'll have to …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The US space agency's boffins hope the experience will help them figure out ways to improve the bot's modest self-driving capabilities."

An opportunity, maybe, to improve self-driving vehicles without risk to other road users of collateral damage.

"It stops if it doesn't have enough information to complete a drive on its own."

On second thoughts, no. Modest it may be but it's already way ahead.

2. Unicornpiss
    Black Helicopters

Flat Mars-ers

I was perusing various YouTube offerings re. the red planet and discovered a whole subset of humans that seem to believe that we never put probes on Mars and everything was faked up using scenery from Death Valley or other deserts. Not sure which boggled my mind more: The beautiful, desolate imagery from Mars or the astonishing mindset of conspiracy theorists..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Flat Mars-ers

If you want to be really boggled, the most insane conspiratard groups are, in my opinion:

1 The electric universe people

2 The freeman-on-the-land people

Can we make a collection and see if we can get them into some kind of order of bonkersness?

It's confused a bit by multiple conspiracies with the same name. For instance 9/11 in order of decreasing probability, in my opinion:

1. some in US government agencies had enough info to stop it, but cocked up

... a substantial gap ...

2. they knew it was going ahead and they let it

... quite a big gap...

3. they knew it was going ahead because they had encouraged it

... a massive chasm

4 WTC7 was a controlled explosive demolition

... another massive chasm

5 WTC7 was destroyed by a secret space laser

Whenever I'm faced with 4 or 5 I useally tell people that all the WTC towers were holograms anyway because everybody knows it's impossible to build something higher than the Empire State.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
        Joke

So I suppose you think that Red Dwarf wasn't a documentary? Is Arnold Rimmer actually dead? Of course not!

1. John Gamble

Of course Red Dwarf wasn't a documentary. It didn't have a narrator.

Arrested Development? Now that was a documentary.

2. Just Enough

Conspiracy theories appeal to a certain type of person, who generally consumes them all. So you can't really split them into separate groups. They all overlap almost entirely.

1. Thicko

The Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day" should be more than enough to give any God based conspiracy nut plenty of cause to fret. Does Heaven really exist?

2. Captain Scarlet
      Alien

Wait yes Mars is flat, don't go the other side of Mars as you will fall off!

1. IGotOut Silver badge

You people are so gullible. It's the same reason the Moon has a dark side.

The side we can see, and the other side, just like looking at a coin....and coins, they are flat. FACT!

2. Citizen99

Then, it's turtles all the way down.

3. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

There seems to be a special class of conspiracy theorists that simultaneously believe that:

1) That covid-19 is a virus intentionally created by the Chinese, and

2) The virus is just a left-wing conspiracy designed to scare people into wearing masks.

Schrodinger's cat would be impressed.

3. Pen-y-gors

Epsom salts?

That's handy. Traditionally used as a foot-bath for tired and inflamed feet. Perhaps Curiosity can dunk her wheels in some - they'll be pretty tired after a 1-mile detour.

4. trevorde Silver badge

Real reason for detour

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2313986/Clarkson-proud-Tracks-left-Nasas-Mars-rover-reveal-obscene-penis-picture-red-planet.html

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Thrill . . .

"Thrill as Curiosity rover races up to 0.06 miles per hour. Marvel as it takes a mile-long detour "

Sounds like my normal rush hour. Not sure I'd call it thrilling.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Curiosity

Nine years old and still going strong.

Yay for the trundlebot.!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Curiosity

Just wait for tween years, that's when the trouble starts.

7. Frumious Bandersnatch

Note to Martian self

Remember to hide evidence of pre-Event civilisation on top of sand dunes.

8. Winkypop Silver badge

Should have sent up a shopping trolley/cart

Those things can get absolutely everywhere!

But seriously, well done boffins and boffinesses.

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Re: Should have sent up a shopping trolley/cart

They will probably find one when they get there, and it too will have a wonky wheel.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like