back to article Email seems lost in the post? You might be a Tsohost customer

Axe-happy Tsohost has found another way to upset its customers this week. Email, it appears, has taken a bit of a totter. To be fair, the hosting outfit has had issues with emails before. The forwarder IP of its old cloud hosting was blocklisted by Microsoft at the end of June, which meant bouncebacks. However, a Register …

1. Pen-y-gors

SFU

They are seriously f**ked.

"Cloud" database servers disappearing for hours (obvs tata to websites that use them) - still not sorted.

Support dire - 2-3 days to get reply to ticket. Try their 'chat' and "You are at position 52 in the queue"...One hour later you get a human.

It's sad - I switched to using them (under a different name) several years ago, and they had been great. Tech support guys (usually E European) really excellent, and quick. A nice hosting setup.

But that's now all gone to shit. Weird new hosting packages, switched to cPanel (that's okay), but suggestion that you can't direct external domains to their DNS.

Time to switch providers again I think. Any suggestions for who can host 100 domains for me?

1. MalcolmL

Re: SFU

I joined tsohost at the very start more than 10 years ago. The finest hosting company on the planet! Then they sold out and it's been downhill ever since. Each time it got worse I thought that was the bottom of the hill only for them to screw up more. I got out around 18 months ago and moved my domains to krystal.uk They're just like tsohost were 10 years ago - the greatest. I just hope they don't sell out too.

1. Captain Scarlet

Yeah thats my only worry, used to see lots of hosts selling up (UK2 I seem to remember were actually advertising saying they would buy your host). Been using UKDedicated on and off, currently use Guru just for a simple Wordpress site.

Another host who I used to recommend Hostroute are long gone, apparently sold to TsoHost :S

2. katrinab Silver badge

I know the Reg Commentards will get their flamethrowers out, but I have 20 domains hosted at OVH, and I've never had any problems with them. I haven't used any of their other services such as email, I host it on my own server.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

" but I have 20 domains hosted at OVH, and I've never had any problems with them. "

No, it's everyone else on the internet that has problems with those assholes. I have a complete drop all from their IP's.

1. Steve Foster

Same here. They've been spamming my servers for months, and I finally got fed up of playing whack-a-mole, and started firewalling their ranges outright. The spam volume has dropped like a stone.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Infomaniak is pretty solid for me. Based in Switzerland. Their helldesk is responsive and quick to act. I've never seen them make a mistake for me yet. When I contacted them to transfer my domain to them, they handled everything after requiring the proper authorizations. Everything went smoothly and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Don't know about hosting a hundred domains in one go, but I think they shouldn't have a problem with it.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Facepalm

This is becoming normal

Every day now I run into little issues out there, services that worked like a charm yesterday slow down today or just give up. Prior to Covid-19 we used to see less than 1% of all email as spam and malware, these days it hits 40% some days, just a little issue for me but I can see where this can badly affect other businesses if you are used to logging in in the morning and seeing a dozen spam messages but then it jumps to more than 500 and the phone starts ringing every two minutes, pick it up and the first thing you hear is; "Don't hang up the phone..."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear

How sad

Never mind

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Add it to not renewing SSL certs...

....basically they're pretty poor these days.

On some servers they've basically given up renewing Let's Encrypt SSL certs so users end up with security warnings. But don't worry, int he control panel they do warning you about using the free SSL and that they can sell you one.

5. MtK

Managed Firewalls?

They asked us to make a change on the managed firewalls. That are managed by them. And they've lost the passwords.

6. tin 2

I like others moved to TSOhost some time ago when they were good. Since their service has dropped off a cliff, to the point that when I have something go wrong (latest was a domain renewal that I got billed for, AND a confirmation, but the domain was not actually renewed in the backend) I get a sarky response to my support tickets that *I* must have done something wrong. Crap. And now another lengthy migration is needed.

7. Norbie

It's just one problem after another with Tsohost. I'm so pleased I found out the founders started up a hosting company again, but sensibly this time using public cloud infra (Google / AWS / Azure etc.). It makes sense, why would you spend millions on your own gear that just isn't as good? Their migrations team moved over all the sites and mailboxes too so it was brilliant. Check them out - Stablepoint.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Tjanks for the tip.

I started out with 5quidhost who got boight out by TSOhost.

Even at 3am on a Thursday morning you'd get a response in a few minutes, no it's a few days.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Owned by GoDaddy...

.. means these problems are all but inevitable.

Duh.

9. MachDiamond Silver badge

Only use the metaphor

Lots of computer UI and functionality is laid out and described in terms of physical items. We have documents, Files, Folders, etc. I guess with eMail, they are trying to recreate that historical aspect of not knowing accurately when (if) your mail will be delivered. What's the digital equivalent of a piece of mail being sat out in the rain for a couple of days or mangled in the post's sorting machinery?

10. Nematode

NOT fixed

Nope. Had a bounce just yesterday evening (1st Aug) from an NHS mail address, who use Trend Micro scanning http://www.mail-abuse.com/cgi-bin/lookup?ip_address=198.71.224.24 . My mail was relayed via a2nlsmtp01-01.prod.iad2.secureserver.net 198.71.224.24 which is a GoDaddy server with, er, a bad rep. Also, I only got the bounce 24 hrs after sending, and it only took 7 hrs from gemini to godaddy, plus there's another 19 hours I can't account for from the headers

I've had enough, this has been 2 years of p***ing about. Now got to get up to speed on how to migrate WP sites painlessly :(

11. Nematode

Come back Evohosting

I only ended up on TSO since they bought up Evohosting. Straight away their "legacy" customers got a bad service, and it has gone down further since. Hmmm, Stablepoint...

12. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like