back to article CEO of motherboard maker MSI dies after plunging from headquarters' seventh-floor

The CEO of computer hardware and motherboard maker MSI has died after falling from his company's headquarters in New Taipei, Taiwan. Charles Chiang was discovered outside MSI's offices in the Zhonghe District after he plummeted from the seventh floor of the building. How and why he fell is under a police investigation though …

1. Snake Silver badge

:-(

Wow. O.O My condolences to the family.

Could the known pressures of business life in Asia have any factor in this?

1. monty75

Re: :-(

https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/suicide-resource-guide#7

https://www.samaritans.org/

1. Snake Silver badge

@monty75

Yes, thank you for the links. But those who need the help often do not ask for it, often do not raise alarms with those around them, and all too often don't get any 'help' worth being called that once they ask.

My boss's brother committed suicide, out of the blue as far as that family was concerned. Even though the family has a history of bipolar, including my boss himself. Never raised alarms, they did not suspect that he just could no longer deal with life.

And, after some terrible mishaps in my own life, I had some of those types of thoughts as well. When I asked for help with my doctor she referred me, and (as usual for me) the referral was USELESS. The therapist spent the entire initial 45 minute meeting trying to get me to sign a promissory note to her that I wouldn't try to hurt myself, instead of listening to me and what I was trying to resolve. Never went back, I can assure you.

So when they say that getting suicide intervention is available...don't let them make it sound so easy.

1. BananaPeal

Re: @monty75

it's almost like the therapist had never tangled with this sort of distress him/herself.

2. Tom 7

Some mention was made of health problems. There are certain things that very few people would dare to face.

1. jelabarre59

Some mention was made of health problems. There are certain things that very few people would dare to face.

I've heard that Don Cornelius (Soul Train) and Bob Welch committed suicide because they each were facing declining health problems that would become crippling sooner rather than later. Probably felt it was better to die before they found themselves in hospice care, or worse in a vegetative state.

Sad for friends and family, but declining into that state is no better for them either (and possibly worse, if I can compare my own experiences in this)

3. Rattlerjake

It had to be covid19, everyone is dying of covid19.

1. jelabarre59

It had to be covid19, everyone is dying of covid19.

Not surprisingly, some agencies are just automatically assigning deaths with unreported causes as Covid-19, out of sheer laziness (or at least I'm presuming laziness, and not malice).

1. Dom 3

"agencies are just automatically assigning deaths with unreported causes as Covid-19" - which? where? evidence? Here's the current guidelines for England and Wales:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/877302/guidance-for-doctors-completing-medical-certificates-of-cause-of-death-covid-19.pdf

tl;dr:

"doctors are expected to state the cause of death to the best of their knowledge and belief"

2. BebopWeBop
    Devil

"General Manager and Executive Mr Changjiang Shengchang, passed away earlier due to personal health factors,"

Poor sod, but the fall from the seventh floor was both personal and a health issue so accurate if incomplete explanations.. Now what?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Now we wait to see if a Japanese style accountancy scandal hits MSI

1. Phage

My first thought. Another Olympus ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"due to personal health factors"

Is this not the most egregious PR output you've ever seen?

What's next, "a change in company direction" for filing for bankruptcy?

1. PassiveSmoking

I recall hearing a story once that Mehdi Ali had posted a resume online that included the claim that he "oversaw a major operational turnaround at Commodore International".

For those not in the know. the "major operational turnaround" in question was going from a mildly profitable going concern to a memory. Yes, he was the guy in charge when Commodore went bankrupt. All evidence points to him being an asset stripper and said bankruptcy was a direct consequence of that.

1. AGOO

Ah Commodore. Bought up by Escom who used the old Rumbelows stores to flog cheap 486s in the worst parts of town.

3. BananaPeal

turns out he suffered from both vertigo and sophomoric affection for k-pop music that unfortunately caused him to break out into spontaneous dance. he will be missed, probably fun at parties.

1. Robert Baker

If you're using "vertigo" in the correct medical sense (dizziness or difficulty with balance), that could explain his falling out of a window. The common misuse of "vertigo" to mean acrophobia (fear of heights or of falling) wouldn't account for being at a seventh-floor window in the first place.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone know the location of their resident BOFH and PFY at the time?

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

I'm sure they were in their right place ..... right behind him!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

C'mon, I know that as readers here we were all surely thinking the first comment, but at the end of the day, a real person has died and his friends and family will be mourning.

Let's not overdo it, and let's hope that foul play certainly was not involved.

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"a real person has died"

Yes. And that's sad.

But at the risk of showing my heartless, engineering-based side, someone should be performing a root cause analysis. Was it health problems? Psychological? Work pressure? Political? A loose balustrade? It would also be sad to let a life go to waste without learning from the example. Recognizing others suffering from the some problems and making changes to help prevent such a thing from happening again.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

friends chose this route.

I have (had!) two friends who when learn of serious illness decided to end their lives. It in one case saved the family a lot of distress by replacing a long term distress with short term grief.

"We would not let an animal suffer as we allow humans to do!"

2. Insert sadsack pun here

"someone should be performing a root cause analysis"

Making jokes on a forum is not performing a root cause analysis.

4. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Coat

Life Imitating Art

Anyone getting a Denholm Reynholm vibe here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Life Imitating Art

Am I getting a vibe about a sitcom penned by a bigot from this real world sad and strange death?

Yeah, if you like.

1. The First Dave

Everyone is a bigot, to some degree. But presumably not you?

1. oldfartuk

I hate three other people, that makes me a a Trigot.

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

From the woke dictionary

Bigot: anyone who dares to disagree with the current orthodoxy.

3. Pat Att

Linehan is not a bigot. He is sticking up for hard-fought women's rights. If you oppose that then maybe you are the bigot.

5. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Sad.

If he could've talked to someone, he might have realised there were other ways out.

As an aside, I quite like MSI's motherboard offerings, but I'm coming to strongly dislike their "Dragon" software. It seems massively bloated for what it does, and I see bits of it high up my list of active processes far too often for my liking.

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Sad.

Everything is bloated these days, for some reason my Corsair mouse requires a piece of software that consumes 1/3 of a cpu core at all times and needs to hammer WMI.

2. Pen-y-gors

I've had one of their meaty laptops as my development machine for a few years. Solid bit of kit.

3. logicalextreme

I can't really see "Sad." anymore without thinking of Our Glorious Tangerine.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"All colleagues felt deeply saddened, and mourned."

That is an unfortunate miss-translation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"All colleagues felt deeply saddened, and mourned (his death)." This seems perfectly correct English, if slightly odd phrasing. Whether it is a miss-translation or not I couldn't say without seeing the original text.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That is not perfectly correct English (should such a thing exist.) It is probably a translation by someone for whom English is a second language, which is fine. The colleagues are not being mourned.

All staff are deeply saddened and in mourning is what was meant. My use of the word staff instead of colleague is my own pet peeve.

2. logicalextreme

I don't think we're allowed to say miss-translation anymore

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge
        Headmaster

We never were.

7. mihares

My MSI laptop is deeply saddened.

8. Professur

Well, nobody can say he didn't have an impact

1. heyrick Silver badge

Too soon.

9. GeekyDee

One has to wonder

Was it due to receiving bad 2nd quarter financials, or due to being given a "choice" to "assist" the Ministry of State Security in a project?

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: One has to wonder

The couple of people I personally knew who committed suicide did it for reasons none that knew them could understand. In these cases, it was not financial but internal demons that were never suspected. It could be the case here of suicide for deeply personal reasons that will make no sense to even his family and friends.

1. EVP

Re: One has to wonder

Same. We were wainting for a guy in a bar. One of us had spoken with him a few hours ago. We got worried when he didn’t show up and answer his phone. It turned out that he had taken his own life. It happened just like that, out of the blue sky. No warning, no sign beforehand what would happen. We never got to know his reason.

10. Neoc

Speaking as someone who almost went through with it, it is not always obvious even to those who are contemplating suicide. If it wasn't for one single "WTF?" moment I would have kept on going without even questioning what I was contemplating.

All I can say is; I am glad I had that (brief) spark of insight, as well as the support of my wife and friends. And 8 months' worth's of anti-depressants to keep me in check until my brain chemistry re-aligned itself. I still have the odd bouts of depression, but now I recognise them as they start and can do something about it before they get too far.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thank-you, me too

Just wanted to say thank-you for being so open.

Me too.

1. Nicodemus

Re: Thank-you, me too

I also.

So difficult to explain Mental Health issues to most people.

2. heyrick Silver badge
      Unhappy

It's a crying shame that everybody knows to check boobies, prostate, eat healthy, alcohol in moderation, exercise, etc etc...but the merest whisper of something not being right in the most important part of the body and it's like the world is about to end.

Sometimes people go through shitty periods in life and sometimes they start to feel like the world would be better if they just weren't in it. Such people shouldn't feel shamed while already in a bad way. It should be possible for people to talk with friends and family members without the fear of some sort of repercussions.

So why does this stigma persist?

1. Nicodemus

That's almost impossible to answer since there are many different causes or reasons for other people's apparent or real lack of care...

Fear of consequences:-

They may have their own issues.

Be in denial about something.

Afraid that getting involved (as they see it) may have negative impact upon themselves.

Themselves be stressed out and struggling.

Reacting rather than responding (i.e. subjective rather than objective).

The stigma seems to be self perpetuating.

Lack of empathy (sociopathy). And sympathy is rather over-rated (my opinion only) since it seems to include a variable psychological/personal distancing factor...

Upon reflection, I'm not sure that trying to enumerate or list things is actually a useful thing to do. It doesn't seem to lead to resolution, now that I think about my own experiences over the last 50+ years or so...

Am I capitulating? No. Given that opinions are like bumcracks, everybody's got one and some are shittier than others. I try to keep my mind open and modify my own thoughts depending upon what I learn and experience.

I therefore submit that this is an extremely complex subject that does not lend itself to simplification or wholly logical analysis. Logic being hugely useful but can sometimes be simply a way to err with confidence.

You can no doubt see my own ambivalence and uncertainty.

Take care and good fortune each :)

3. 9Rune5

I'm glad you feel you have proper support.

Years ago, in the nineties, a friend of mine lost his brother. Heart-attack the family said at the time.

Then, five years ago, my dear friend suddenly passed away. And during the service I learned two things: 1) Suicide. 2) ...just like his younger brother.

About two years before that, he told me he had checked in to a psychiatric clinic. He met a woman there who seemed fairly okay. I tried keeping in touch, but he had a habit of not returning my calls, so I figured I would give them some space. And he became a father again. Besides, we lived 400km apart at that point, so it wasn't as if I could just pop over to check on him.

I honestly thought he was doing okay. I did hear a rumor that he maybe had split up with his gf, but I didn't take that rumor seriously, and figured he would give me a call when he felt up to it. I was about to build a house near the coast and had already told him to pop by when it was done.

I dunno. I miss the guy a lot. So if any of you are thinking of doing something similarly stupid, think of those around you first. Try reaching out. And please do not assume people automatically realize something is up. My friend was one of the most brilliant people I have ever known, and I assumed he had everything sorted.

11. Anonymous Coward
  12. GeekinOrpington

A friend, who was bi-polar, committed suicide by lighting two instant barbecues which he placed in his iron bath (no fire risk) and went to bed with a bottle of brandy.

By the morning he was dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.

He had the opportunity to change his decision, which is not possible when falling to the ground.

13. SuperGeek

My condolences, such a shock. MSI has been good to me over the years, used a lot of their motherboards back in the day and they were reliable.

14. cyberdemon Silver badge
    Big Brother

As my Mum would have said..

Dodgy Dodgy..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like