back to article Captain, the computer has identified 250 alien stars that infiltrated our galaxy – actual science, not science-fiction

Deep-learning software has singled out a group of 250 stars in the Milky Way that appear to have been born outside our galaxy. That's according to a research paper published this week in Nature Astronomy. The oddballs, known collectively as Nyx, were described as a “vast stellar stream in the vicinity of the Sun,” by Lina …

1. redpawn

Build that Force Field!

Who's gonna pay for it? .... Nyx's gonna pay for it!

Who's gonna pay for it? ... Nyx's gonna pay for it, whether they know it or not!

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Build that Force Field!

Shirley we're going to get the Nyxicans to pay for it ... Good thing Trump's Space Farce is such a viable success, eh?

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alien

A couple of billion years ago, when the first and Second Galaxies were passing through each other

and when myriads of planets were coming into being where only a handful had existed before, two races of beings were already ancient...

Lemme know when they find Arisia and/or Eddore

3. Zimmer
    Pint

Upvote for E.E. 'Doc' Smith

It's not Friday, but.....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(Heads off to the bookcase, only to find No. 1 son has made off with the whole collection..)

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: Upvote for E.E. 'Doc' Smith

There's always http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/9515

1. TheRealRoland
        Happy

Squeee! New author!

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Rather an old one actually. I was reading his stories with a torch under bedcovers when I was a kid.

I was convinced they were true stories!

1. TheRealRoland
            Alien

Yeah, always happy finding stuff on Gutenberg. With the local library still not fully open (they do have curbside delivery here, which i haven't experimented with yet), need to feed the brain with books (and not other brains...)

2. First Light

I am new to this author, but I am particularly encouraged by the fact that he was also a food scientist who specialized in doughnuts and pastry mixes.

1. NetBlackOps

More like a mining engineer who kept trying to marry my mother off to bright young mining engineers, his students, at science-fiction conventions she attended. She met all the authors in her "misspent youth" (her words, not mine).

3. jake Silver badge

Pretty dreadful space opera junk that definitely shows it's age, but readable escapism nonetheless ... if you can find your way past the misogyny, implied racism, etc. etc. I've often thought that the core stories could make fairly decent movies, especially with today's special effects capabilities.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So now we have Nyx

Stars that have a similar chemical composition obviously come from the same local area, that much is understandable. That that many stars have the same movement characteristics is also an undeniable sign that they have something in common. Finally, we do know that our Milky Way has merged with dwarf galaxies in the past. So fine, we have a bunch of stellar immigrants nearby. Good for Science, we'll learn things.

Now, though, I have a nagging doubt : are we sure our Sun is not also an immigrant ?

I'm guessing that, with all the studying we've been doing on the source of Life in our Solar System, that fact would already have surfaced, but I can't keep from wondering.

1. Tom 7

Re: So now we have Nyx

Human exceptionalism aside there is, as far as I know, no reason to suspect our solar system is extra galactic

One problem I have with things like this is it seems to assume that anything outside a norm is not of here. I wonder whether there are other mechanisms that could be as validly applied to the Nyx - perhaps they were thrown inwards by a mass anomaly in one of the galaxies arms - just because the universe is 'uniform' now does now mean it always was and perhaps these are bits that haven't been normalised yet.

Whatever , its fun to keep looking even if there's a bloody comet in the way and lots of sparkly satellites.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would think you could look at the chemical composition of the Sun & also its kinematics and conclude that it's probably not.

This isn't meant to be a 'you idiot' answer: I have no idea if people have done that and it would be interesting as fuck if it was!

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Off the top of my head: yes, this has been looked at and the kinematics and composition fit a star born in the Milky Way. Astrophysicists do this because they are looking for stars that might have been born with the Sun and clues about the environment that gave birth to it. But we've done so many orbits of the galaxy that everything is spread out and it's tricky to be certain. However I can't recall any suggestion we are anything other that a galactic native.

3. Claptrap314 Silver badge

I'm not sure how you can say that at all. Population III stars are practically defined to both nigh-identical in chemistry & from literally all over the universe.

Certainly, there will be much more variability in population I stars, but even then, there's really not a lot of room to play with.

5. arctic_haze

Could they name some of the suspects?

I would like to be sure which of our neighbors are suspicious migrants!

1. Captain Scarlet
      Alien

Re: Could they name some of the suspects?

This is an outrage calling us aliens when you are the alien race in this galaxy!

We will be avenged when we work out how to use Tiktok, for some reason the cameras do not pick us up.

6. big_D Silver badge

Klemperer Rosette

Let me guess, its the Pierson's Puppeteers home planets.

1. Tartan Turnip

Re: Klemperer Rosette

Could be worse, could be the Pak

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Aye, but Brennan is on our side. We'd never even know about them.

2. jake Silver badge

The Puppeteer's pentagon shaped Fleet of Worlds was called a "Kemplerer rosette" in the books. Note that a Klemperer rosette must have an even number of objects, the Puppeteer's system had five.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Fer'ner Galaxy?!?!

OUT!!!! Build a Wall!! Deport Them!!! They're Rapists!!!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

"This is the Nyx Collective, future rulers of your pathetic galaxy!!"

"As did the others, your galaxy will bow down before our invading battleworlds! All hail Emperor Nyxilon XXXXVI and and the Imperial Army!!!"

9. Charlie van Becelaere
    Boffin

“At the LHC, we have incredible simulations, but we worry that machines trained on them may learn the simulation and not real physics," said Bryan Ostdiek

That's one of the wisest things I've heard from a lab in a long time.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Those people have a well deserved reputation for being both smart and wise, otherwise a pretty rare combination.

10. Mike Moyle

We're gonna build a wall around the galaxy...

...and the Small Magellanic Cloud is gonna pay for it!

(Yes, I know others have done the wall joke, but *I* included a source of funding, making me a stabler genius than them!)

11. JCitizen
    Mushroom

Migrating stars..

Just imagine my surprise when a wandering star crashes into my Sun!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like