back to article Fret not, Linux fans, Microsoft's Project Freta is here to peer deep into your memory... to spot malware

Boffins in Microsoft Research has pulled the covers off Project Freta, a free service aimed at spotting memory malfeasance. A technology demonstration named for the street in Warsaw, Poland where Marie Curie was born, Freta comes from the NExT Security Ventures (NSV) team and is all about taking a VM snapshot and scanning the …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Joke

coming soon

Microsoft Linux - only $99.99/month. With a lovely GUI straight from Windows 10.

Perhaps the icon might not be correct in a year or so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: coming soon

No joke. That's what Red Hat Enterprise Linux Premium support costs.

2. karlkarl Silver badge

Hmm, if this is the Microsoft that I know, they will only really be using this technology to sniff out signs of piracy such as signatures of known cracks.

Just like Windows Defender is an anti-piracy tool. I don't even think they will bother disguising it as an anti-malware tool in the future releases.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sniff out piracy on Linux VMs?

2. Glen Turner 666

If you run a large public VM farm -- and Microsoft does -- then identifying VMs with malware is important in stopping the VM farm from becoming the DDoS agent from hell. This isn't the only way to address the issue, but no technique has 100% coverage, so I can understand why they're building this method. It has some advantages too, such as not generating data which needs real-time analysis (unlike, say, intrusion detection systems).

3. bazza Silver badge

Hmmm, Rust eh?

Keeps cropping up doesn’t it?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Physician.

Heal thyself.

1. BenDwire Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Physician.

Certainly. If you'd just bend over while I stand behind you ...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mirror, mirror on the wall..............................

Pity the folk in Redmond aren't more interested in OS images A LITTLE NEARER to home!

So.......I'd have quite liked a more stable WIN98 image......too late......that was 1998 and I just walked away!!

6. IGnatius T Foobar !

There's no Windows version yet...

...because when Windows is detected at all, it immediately goes positive for malware.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like