back to article It's not a Windows 10 release without something breaking so here's a troubleshooter for your OneDrive woes

While Microsoft was showing off its new OneDrive toys, the company also slipped out a fix for brave souls running Windows 10 2004 and finding Files On-Demand a little borked. Issues have been rumbling for a few weeks now as users of the new OS began complaining that "OneDrive cannot connect to Windows", rendering the Files On- …

1. Mark 85

Again?

With all the issues of Win10 and MS's constant "fixing and changing" things, I have to wonder why customers put up with it? From everything I've read, heard, and seen, it's still not fit for purpose.

Disclaimer.. not a Win10 user. I'm in the Linux world with Win7 for a VM. Happy as a hog in a waller as they say and not looking back.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Re: Again?

Customers? Shirley you mean beta testers.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Alumoi, you need to realize that all Windows customers and users are beta testers. That's been the way that Windows started working once Windows 8 arrived. Now the beta user feature has been extended back to Windows 7, Microsoft added their Edge browser to my Windows 7 machine last week but luckily, since it's Windows 7 it was far easier to remove than the "feature update" to my Windows 10 box.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

How on Earth did they managed that? I'm also running Windows 7 as my daily driver (don't ask, it's one program that can't be run under Wine and I won't run a VM just for it) but I do choose what 'updates' I install.

So no, I'm not a beta tester for Microsoft. I choose when and what to install. And I only do it after the beta testers (aka 'always install updates' naive souls) have spent their rage on the forums.

2. a_yank_lurker

Nah, alpha testers

2. NetBlackOps

As I've said before, I have computer aided engineering tools which simply have no counterpart on Linux, sadly, not that I would look foward to paying muliple $K for a Linux licensed product, and they won't run under Wine or virtualization. You have to play the cards you are dealt {shrug}.

I do enjoy running software in Linux as I'm able to load down the system heavily with less noticable effect. Very nice.

3. JohnKelly

The majority of people aren't computer literate enough to be able to cope with installing linux. Most of my usage is fine under Windows 10 and everything tends to work. Since I have to support a family (and 90 year old mother) then I choose windows as it's only one thing to look at to sort out. I don't want to support apple or linux so if they want me to help they get Windows

4. SuperGeek

"Disclaimer.. not a Win10 user. I'm in the Linux world with Win7 for a VM. Happy as a hog in a waller as they say and not looking back."

And what's the marketshare and intended userbase of your perfect Linux heaven again? Oh, right. Small marketshare, and aimed at geeks and webserver owners. So it's not viable as mainstream OS. Been there, tried that. Some customers get used to it, most don't. Most of my customers are music producers and photographers. No native Photoshop support, and Cubase runs like crap on Linux.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a geek and webserver owner, and run Linux. But when things go badly wrong (and with kernels and drivers they often do in Linux) normal end users don't want to be faffing, or even know how to faff, with a terminal, and all the rest of it.

Windows may be beta software, but where's the alternative for your average Joe? Mac OS? Don't make me laugh.

2. RichardEM

rather than Linux

How about moving to Apple. They are not perfect but certainly appear to do better than MS.

They also are going to there own silicon and ditching Intel.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@RichardEM - Re: rather than Linux

It seems some Linux fans have down-voted your post. I guess it's because they really want Windows users to continue enduring the MS abuse.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Craig Federighi needs to go, his track record is abysmal. Just works? Catalina anyone?

You can't have taken the step to upgrade to Catalina yet. Even die hard Apple fans would be better to stay quiet at the moment, given how bad this year's release has been.

Craig Federighi needs to go. "Hair today, gone tomorrow", as he would probably say himself.

Apple needs some fresh blood to double down on the bugs, it's gone beyond a joke.

Apple's inclusive vision for the World is a 'Walled Garden' + messenger app that can be only used on its platform. Think that one through for a moment, when Apple starts spouting 'BLM' for its own marketing purposes.

You don't get any more segregated than iMessage, in terms of 'vison', it's built into the Apple DNA.

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Meh

Re: Craig Federighi needs to go, his track record is abysmal. Just works? Catalina anyone?

At least with Catalina, you have to specifically "buy" it from the app store, and Mojave (and High Sierra) are still getting updates.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm on the latest version of catalina. No issues at all since upgrading from Mojave. The only thing I had to do was disable the use zsh nagging when opening a terminal into bash.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: rather than Linux

Sometimes it's just the price of Apple hardware that keeps people away. For the price of a monitor stand a four wheels you can get a very decent desktop PC.

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: rather than Linux

Yup they are to expensive and the fact you can't legally run the OS on anything you can build yourself puts me off.

3. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

I haven't even got 2004 yet...

...but I still had to spend several hours sorting out my OneDrive yesterday. Is it possible that the borkage is more general, or was it just a coincidence?

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Facepalm

I am not seeing any issues at all

Oh wait, it may be because I'm running Windows 7 Pro. I am considering "upgrading" to Windows 10 but I'm very busy at the moment so I wouldn't have time to fix all of the upgrade issues. I guess I'll just stick with an operating system that works.

5. Spanners Silver badge
    Meh

My first step

I start by removing as much MS Cloud crudware as possible. Some bits have even been uninstallable. I came across a PowerShell script for enough of the rest. The big question is, will I be able to continue like this? In the long term, probably not and I will need to dump MS.

6. George Spiggott

Win 10 is now a rolling release on par with Tumbleweed and all the breakage that accompanies it, but Tumbleweed doesn't pretend to be a production environment OS and comes with bug and regression caveats.

Not good enough Microsoft, Win 7 stability is what you should be aiming at for people who just want to get on with their work without breakages, this bi-annual nonsense is not working.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a confirmed non-Microsoft user...

...I have a good giggle every time I read of Microsoft’s latest “continuous improvement” omni-shambles.

Our company - or rather our dim-bulb CTO - wasn’t to put everything onto Azure. I’m near retirement, so will be having a jolly good laugh about that too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As a confirmed non-Microsoft user...

s/wasn't to/wants to/

8. Bruce Ordway

Files On-Demand "troubleshooter"

Personally I'd be curious to hear any general statistics on the effectiveness of MS "troubleshooters".

I gave up on MS troubleshooters a long time ago, maybe they've been improving?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't remember ever actually fixing an issue in Windows with one of their troubleshooters.

Regardless, I still haven't seen anything compelling about Windows 10.

I'm happy to keep running Win7 for now.

9. FatGerman

Christ on a bike

Once upon a time, there was a rule that was oft-quoted amongst QA engineers, the rule of '1 hour of development needs 10 hours of testing', This was apparently Microsoft's rule and it was something the rest of us could only aspire to. One would have assumed, using common sense and experience, that the more complex the OS became the larger that ratio would need to be. But it looks like they've gone the other way, ousourcing most of it to actual end users in the pursuit of some marketing-driven cockwobbling idea that they need to do 2 releases a year or else Satya Nadella's penis will drop off, or something. For fucks' fucking sake. TEST THE FUCKING SHIT BEFORE GIVING IT TO PEOPLE. The ability to do live patching over the internet does not absolve you from the responsibility of making sure it works. Tossers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Christ on a bike

"...in the pursuit of some marketing-driven cockwobbling idea that they need to do 2 releases a year or else Satya Nadella's penis will drop off, or something..."

I am quoting this sentence as it may well be the best thing I have ever read on the Internet.

10. Dwarf

Files on demand

In the old days we used to call these a floppy or a hard disk.

Now its all marketing BS to make it sound like something shiny and new

11. sahora

Nice post, I am a windows 10 user. I have no issues up to 5 years. I think i stick to that boundary. Thank you

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like