back to article Don't beat yourself up for overeating in lockdown. This black hole scoffs equivalent of our Sun every day

The greediest supermassive black hole spotted by us Earthlings is an eye-popping 34 billion times more massive than our Sun, and gobbles nearly a solar mass of nearby gas and dust every day. The behemoth goes by the name SMSS J2157–3602 or J2157, for short, and was discovered in 2018 by eggheads led by the Australian National …

1. redpawn

Digging won't help

Try using a larger near-infrared telescope array instead. But if you insist on digging, construct a neutrino detector in that not quite black hole you're making.

2. jake Silver badge

For short?

That's pronounced SMSS J2157–3602, Sir! ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: For short?

Jake is doing a joke! Surprised he didn't work IR35 into it.. He certainly didn't work humor into it.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: For short?

I'll be ignoring the rest of your tantrum from yesterday, but I simply have to ask ... That's the second time that you've somehow tried to link me to comments about IR35. But I haven't ever commented on IR35, as it has absolutely no bearing on my life whatsoever. So why would I ever "work IR35 into it"?

Is it possible that you are targeting the wrong person with your juvenile attempt at bile, AC?

3. b0llchit Silver badge
    Coat

Healthy appetite

One sun per day keeps the doctor away.

1. Rich 11

Re: Healthy appetite

On the contrary, so many stars going missing would be just the sort of thing to attract the attention of the Doctor.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Doctor...? Ah, you mean Inspector Spacetime!

2. jake Silver badge

"just the sort of thing to attract the attention of the Doctor."

Who?

4. ThatOne Silver badge
    Coat

Yuk

> This black hole scoffs equivalent of our Sun every day

Disgusting. Who eats newspapers?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Yuk

My earthworms absolutely love eating newspapers.

Hint: run the paper through a paper shredder that uses a cross cut (or diamond cut) for quicker results.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

> My earthworms absolutely love eating newspapers.

Yes, but "The Sun"? That's cruelty to animals.

1. jake Silver badge

I'm in California. The Sun is rather hard to come by around these here parts, that's why I specified newspapers in a rather generic manner. (Mac's Smoke Shop in Palo Alto used to carry The Sun, back before it was just another head shop and was an excellent tobacconist & news stand, but I don't know of anywhere else.)

1. ThatOne Silver badge
            Happy

Nah, I was just joking. (As always.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And yet..

Just nearby there's a sign that says: No fly tipping

1. Rich 11

Re: And yet..

Fly tipping is for people who don't have the strength or skill to be any good at sheep tipping.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like