back to article Last chance to grab a Pixel 3A off Google's UK store with 4A successor around the corner

Google has discontinued its hugely popular Pixel 3A and 3A XL mid-range smartphones. While the device will continue to receive updates for the foreseeable, the Chocolate Factory has no plans to produce more units. Already the device is showing as sold out on the US Google Store. Both the Pixel 3A and XL remain available on the …

1. sleepy

Apple product support

No change then. As far as I know, Apple has always supported PC's for seven years, and phones for five. More or less. Although they try not to say so. Or am I wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple product support

Yeah, as opposed to the vendors of most Android phones where you're lucky to get 3 years' worth of updates that take aeons to appear.

Yes Samsung, I'm looking at you!

1. GioCiampa

3 years? Samsung?

The last one I bought was obsolete within 6 months... (S3 mini)

1. Slipoch

I only stopped receiving updates on the s6 after 6 years. I didn't buy it new either.

2. dharmOS

Obsoleting an Ivy Bridge Core laptop for no real reason, if that means not updatIng to MacOS Big Sur and no back ports of security updates to the current OS is a crime against the environment.

I have an Ivy Bridge Alienware laptop (probably similar price at the time) that still works perfectly well and is updated by the Microsoft Win 10 updates (originally came with Win 7). I know why Apple does this planned obsolescence but treating expensive electronics as junk should not be tolerated.

Any reason why it has been obsoleted? Does it not run some fancy Intel SSE or AVX extension that is now “essential” to Big Sur? Bearing in mind that Mac ARMs will only emulate x86-64 up to SSE2...

2. Snowy Silver badge
    Facepalm

[QUOTE]Google has discontinued its hugely popular Pixel 3A and 3A XL mid-range smartphones. While the device will continue to receive updates for the foreseeable, the Chocolate Factory has no plans to produce more units.[/QUOTE]

The date for "No guaranteed Android version updates after" you are looking for is May 2022, which is also the date that the devices get " No guaranteed security updates after"

Seeing that they release version updates at the end of the year, 2021 version is likely the last they will get.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en-GB

3. Hammeroid

Think twice

If you're thinking of using a Pixel 3a for business, be aware that the VPN client is borked and doesn't work with common VPN servers like Meraki and Ubiquity.

It's a known bug that Google seem unwilling to fix.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/118789580

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like