back to article LG shows off quad-band GSM watchphone

See a bandwidth-friendly version of this video here Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com Our Most Popular CES Video Reports... Nokia N97 touchscreen webphone demo'd Samsung boffins demo transparent OLED screen Palm Pré demo of WebOS and UI Boffins offer plastic printing service Sony Vaio P …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jonathan Mills

very good but.....

.... i'd rather have had a flying car before a watch that i could talk to people on

2. Adair Silver badge
    Go

Very stylish..

...welcome to the future---in 1973.

3. David Edmondson

If I tape an IPhone to my wrist...

...does that make it a watch?

4. muttley
    Thumb Up

Want!

Want!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Down and safe

Do these have a teleport facility like those in Blakes 7?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Wristphone or Phonewatch

would be more accurate really - it's just a phone that has a clock as home screen.

Still, a great step towards a true watchphone; needs bulk shrinking down a bit more.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

And the point of this video is????

Awful video - didn't tell me a single thng about the product USP other that it's a watch phone...

Obviously El-Reg don't see that this medium just doesn't work for reviews - or maybe they do and just don't give a f*ck.

8. Christian Berger

What's with the voice function?

Well first of all congratulations. The lighting of this video is by far not as bad as it's with the others. You know those wheels on the lens and the dials on the side of the camcorder actually have a meaning.

Second, sure it's great to have a wristwatch computer, but what's with that "phone-like" functionality. If I want do use a phone, I either do it at home or in the office, or go to the nearest phone booth.

9. Max
    Thumb Up

FINALLY!

That is hot. We've only been waiting since Dick Tracy to get one of these.

Now give me my flying car you slackers...

10. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

Sorry

I just can't cope with yet another filum of some sales droid doing his patter.

Take a few pics, write some editorial. Include some facts. It will be downloaded, read, and digested before the video thingy has even half initialised.

Please, enough.

11. Martin Lyne

I feel dirty

For wanting one of these.

How do you text back though? And is there microphone on the inside of hte wristband s you dont have to twist your arm when talking? I would suggest wearing it facing inwards as I normally do for phones, but I get teh feeling that would be scratch-tastic.

12. Matthew

I think...

I would rather have one of those cool looking SE watches that integrate into your existing mobile that a stand alone device like this.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very unsexy indeed...,

This which is large, chunky and ugly - look at the side profile of the thing, it's a slab! It may appeal to the geeks who wore the Phillips Calculator Watch etc. decades ago but for many, a watch is as much a fashion item as a functional one...and this LG wristphone is about as fashionable as buck teeth and acne.

I reckon this watch will flop (at least in the form factor shown on this vid). Maybe they can stimulate sales by giving away a free anorak with each one?

14. Allan Rutland
    Thumb Up

So...

The digital camera was replaced (almost) by the phone, the MP3 player was (well getting there) replaced by the phone, and the phones now heading for replacement by the watch. Quiet an interesting line of evolution and divergence.

Ok, this is only a very early model. But over time it makes a lot more sense the carrying around a phone for practicality....heck, even the rather pickled one night mob can't flush this with it attached to there arms....ok maybe not, but it would be a tad more noticeable to them :D

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Is it wrong......

.... To say it needs a web browser for real wrist action?

Slightly stained coat with one sleave shorter than the other...

16. Brett Weaver
    Thumb Up

Yes

I want one. Its perfect. No holsters, no sagging inside pockets, no leaving on the counter at home... Fan bloody tastic!

17. Haku

2009 - Year of the mobile phone watch ?

A mobile phone watch really isn't that new, what is new is a big player (LG) getting into the scene and prices becomming somewhat 'affordable'.

That said, you don't want to buy a T918... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjCBuI9nPv4

I'm sure over the next few years you'll eventually be able to buy a mobile phone watch that's the same size as an average normal watch, but for now you might have to look like a bit of a prat with such a bulky gadget stuck to your wrist. Even so, as a gadget hoarder I want this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN-2GX0Qg48

18. Herby

Now that the Wrist TV exists, what...

...would Dick Tracy have now?

Then again, Diet Smith was no Q section. He just scoped out the moon for $$$.

Helium 3 anyone?

19. Maliciously Crafted Packet

Er... Mr Tracy...

I don't think they're gonna make it!

Not unless it has a live video conferencing feed built in enabling one to call up a vast array of high-tech rescue equipment it wont.

Well he does look a bit like Brains sans the glasses.

20. calagan
    Thumb Up

Finally

It looks like LG finally managed to come up with a usable watchphone, after several attempts by less-serious manufacturers. I doubt anyone would actually use the built-in microphone, but if you pair that it with a bluetooth headset this would really make my day.

People have been complaining about its size, but it seems to fit quite well the guy in the video, who doesn't seem to have an oversized wrist.

21. Brutus
    Happy

Bulky?

I don't think it's that bulky, at least not compared to some of the 'bling' Rolex and Tag Heur that gets flashed around this office!

Cover the watch with platinum and add a few blokish sapphires and it'll be snapped up by those stock traders who still have a job!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like