back to article Windows 10 Insider wondering where Notepad has gone? Fear not, Microsoft found it down the back of Dev Channel

Forget Linux GPU support, Microsoft has emitted a new Dev Channel Windows 10 build that fixes a far more serious problem: the disappearing Notepad. Build 20152 arrived overnight and - as well as knocking this hack's test rig out for 90 minutes while it had a good hard think about what the last install had done - initially …

1. Teiwaz

Good Grief...

how can they 'lose' an application that's hung around since the mid 80's?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good Grief...

Because most of the hype at MS is around fantastic new fonts for notepad.

Probably 75% of the team is working on this, and probably they forgot to check it in for the new build ...

2. N2
      Trollface

Because their twat-o-meter is full hard over to 'complete wanker' mode and they have to screw around with anything and everything.

If its old and worked thats no good

If its new but is so fucked around with it doesnt work how it used to but we've added 'cool stuff' then thats fine.

Yuk.

3. stiine Silver badge
      Unhappy

Because they've actually broken it. The current notepad.exe now thinks that non-ascii (UTF-*) characters are perfectly fine, and they're not.

4. Blackjack Silver badge

Because the way they do Windows 10 updates is definitely a Bork Champion?

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

someone forgot to finish the 2D FLATTY ADWARE "The Store": version before the update shipped...

(the respons was SUPPOSED to be "it's in The Store" and then, like games, make everyone download the ad-ridden crippled FLUGLY version of what used to be a useful tool...)

But they were caught, and had to quickly put it back while whistling in the air like nothing happened...

1. Adelio

Personally i tend to use notepad++

1. AMBxx Silver badge
          Facepalm

Most people do, but only on their own machines. If you've just remoted to a customer's server, the last thing you need is to be mucking about with alternative text editors.

2. Swiss Anton

I use Nodepad++ a lot, but sometimes its text colour coding* is down right annoying, Sometimes a simple monochrome view is what I want, and MS Notepad does that. (*Yes I'm sure there is probably a config setting in Notepad++ to change this, but life's too short to find out how).

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They (being Microsoft) were just testing the water. If they can get people to cough up for Solitaire then why not Notepad as well eh? Roll up, get your Notepad subscription here... only $4.99/month. If they do go down this route they will naturally make it much, much, much harder to install alternatives such as Notepad++.

Cynical? Yep. Nothing Microsoft does these days is done out of the goodness of their heart but to maximise revenue opportunities

7. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
      Windows

There is, of course, the rumour that the only reason WordPad exists is because they lost the source code for Write...

("Write will eat anything" - those were the days...)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What...

"... an issue that could result in Notepad unexpectedly being removed after resetting your PC."

What kind of spaghetti mess is going on over there?

1. aki009

Re: What...

It's called job security engineering. If the Microsoft guys were to design their build systems properly and actually know what they are doing, 80% or more of the folks would no longer be needed. Hence the importance of JSE. And Microsoft has always been at the bleeding edge of JSE.

3. BGatez

Better alternative, skip MS

Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

1. AJ MacLeod

Re: Better alternative, skip MS

The trouble with that is it's not guaranteed to be on every machine you connect to; whereas for decades you could rely on "win-r notepad enter" and be typing away. It's like vi on any unix-like OS... you might as well learn it as no matter what you _like_ using, you can rely on "vi filename" doing what you expect.

1. Tomislav

Provided you know how to exit vi without rebooting :)

1. jake Silver badge

ZZ

Rock on.

(And now none of you can forget how to exit vi without rebooting ... )

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

I thought the command to exit vi without rebooting was "killall -9 vi" ?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"ZZ"

ESC :wq!

2. Captain Scarlet

I must admit every time I use vi I have to Google how to use it.

2. Boothy

i

Got used to vi on AIX boxes back in the late 90s.

I'm on Linux boxes regularly, so still use it to this day.

I don't even use vim!

Not really an expert with it, but i, /keyword, dd, L-Shift+a seem to get me through.

Other editors seemed to come and go, but as you say, vi is always there (Thankfully!).

:wq

1. jake Silver badge

"I don't even use vim!"

Your command-line version of vi might be a link to Vim ... try this:

$ file /usr/bin/vi

1. stiine Silver badge

Yes, and their default settings are becoming more and more EMACS-like...and I'm not sure the develop understands why we still use it...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Coat

I'm not sure the develop understands why we still use it...

He’s not alone. ;)

2. W.S.Gosset

>:wq

And don't forget the emergency Whoops I Didn't Want To Do That exit:

:q!

3. jake Silver badge

There are vi-alikes that run on the Redmond OS, too. If you're unfamiliar with the concept, try vim.org first. Recommended.

4. hoopsa

I have been mocked for many years for habitually using vi even though many better editors exist. Ah, but when you're out on site working on a customer's server and none of the fancy editors are available, suddenly an ability to use vi makes you a hero. Not for long of course, but it's nice while it lasts.

1. wyatt

Yep, it wasn’t fun but Vi was always there! Especially if you’ve loads of servers,not having to wait for an editor was essential.

2. poohbear

I thought "Notepad's main use for many these days is " to download Notepad++.

Maybe I'm just confused.

1. Captain Scarlet

For me I often have it open with Notepad++, I don't know why as I use the other view in Notepad++ heavily

4. jake Silver badge

"as well as knocking this hack's test rig out for 90 minutes while it had a good hard think about what the last install had done"

How many DevOps release cycles did you miss while your computer was off in lala-land?

Last time I updated Slackware, the system continued compiling my compiler while I read ElReg, kept an eye on IRC, and listened to music, all without skipping a beat.

I can't believe people (especially supposed developers!) still put up with the barriers to productivity that Redmond insists on shipping. I wonder how many man-hours have been wasted, world-wide, with this kind of unnecessary bullshit ... and how many dollars in real-world money have been spent by organizations in the last ten years chasing a usable system based on Redmond code.

What a fucking waste. The mind absolutely boggles.

1. Roo
      Windows

I think that post pretty much captures my beefs with using Redmond gear for anything beyond casual gaming. I say casual gaming - because the chances are the sod will be mid update-spasm at the time your clan match is due to start. :)

5. a_yank_lurker

What Do the Rejects of Redmond Use?

The Rejects of Redmond must not write Bloatware code on Bloatware boxes. Notepad, as simple as it is, is a very handy tool for any developer working in Bloatware. As a developer on a Bloatware box I use it everyday for something, it's just to handy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What Do the Rejects of Redmond Use?

I thought they were called Slurp!?

6. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

I miss the days when Microsoft shipped every OS with a programming language

1. seven of five

I guess this ceased when they stopped shipping any OS.

2. richardcox13

> a programming language

Singular? It would be some time ago.

These days there's JS (and not just inside IE and Edge), VB Script, cmd, and PowerShell. .NET is included so both C# and VB.NET compilers are there.

Add WSL with a distribution and you've got bash etc. as well.

So a very long way from a programming language.

7. earl grey
    Facepalm

i miss the olden days

before MS dropped a turd every time they turned around.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: i miss the olden days

and they at most turned around once a day instead of doing the current 180 rpm (and accelerating).

8. jvf

format removal-who knew?

Wow! Was I glad to find out that Notepad is a great washing machine for removing crapped up text formatting, background colors, etc. I've just cleaned up several documents. This is why I read the Reg.

P.S. As an appreciative reader, I offered to let the Reg serve up some ads. But, every other page/session/different browser keeps asking again. So, I just say no now. I emailed the Reg but never got a response. Guess they're better at writing stories than websites.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Notepad

Their most useful application

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What an utter clusterfuck...

(A recent update has caused the body of this comment to be lost.)

11. Duffaboy
    Joke

WTF ?

It will be Minesweeper next

1. andy gibson

Re: WTF ?

I've not forgiven them for removing PROGMAN.EXE

1. Babblefish

Re: WTF ? PROGMAN.EXE

Yesterday on shutdown I momentarily saw a message indicating that PROGMAN.EXE was one of the applications still running. I would be surprised if you could not still use its DDE interface to create a shortcut.

12. MJI Silver badge

I needed a small batch in a hurry

And wound up my boss

(Multiple people remote)

I started with copy con

He moans at me not using Word but Word pad

Then spends half hour about word reformatting on its own bat a whole document which took an evening to fix!

13. NotWorkAdmin

I used to get asked...

...what is your favorite HTML editor. I always said Notepad.

14. Sandgrounder

The Grand Daddy of Modern design

Notepad was the first ever app to receive the Modern design. All that whitespace.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: The Grand Daddy of Modern design

White space? You mean all that white space provided for you to type your pearls of wisdom into? I'm looking at the program on Win10 and see no significant wasted white space. Ahhhh, I bet you mean WordPad. Next comment...

15. T0G

Diary

I've always used notepad's .LOG feature to turn it into a diary. Don't know how I'd cope without it

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like