back to article While eyes are fixed on Apple announcements, Microsoft's streaming service Mixer goes the way of the Windows Phone

Mixer has been consigned to the Microsoft graveyard to rot alongside other abortive stablemates like Windows Phone, Zune and Clippy to name just a few. Microsoft's me-too attempt at a Twitch-like streaming platform is to be subsumed into Facebook Gaming, which will grant Mixer Partners – people lucky enough to make money by …

1. xyz Silver badge

Can Bing please die too....

It can't even find me and I'm the only person on the planet with my name. Seemingly some bloke with a name quite like mine is more popular.

1. Sanctimonious Prick
      Terminator

Re: Can Bing please die too....

I dunno... it's good for pr0n :D

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Normally, I'd agree with you but without Bling, who is to challenge Google when it comes to search? I'd rather not put all my search eggs in one basket thanks. Google already knows far too much about us for our own good.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

who is to challenge Google when it comes to search?

I have not found a reason to change from DuckDuckGo, and I've only been using that as a default for about 6 years or so..

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Isn't Bing used for duck duck go's search?

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

I think it used to be but it has its own web crawler these days.

I usually find its results more helpful than Bing (and Google) so it must be doing something right.

2. Robert Grant

It seems the hope was that by yanking those viewers out from under Twitch, Mixer would be able to kickstart its userbase.

When will MS stop trying silly business moves like this and just provide good, innovative services?

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

When will MS stop trying silly business moves like this and just provide good, innovative services?

Oh that would be nice, but sadly I feel like they gave up on that idea years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I didn't realise they ever started, but, to be fair, I haven't paid much attention to MS. I don't have to :).

3. thondwe

Facebook Really

Can't believe MS have got into bed with Facebook. MS have been doing good stuff during COVID, and going with Facebook tarnishes the brand a bit?

Should have just opened xCloud to "choose your own streaming" platform?

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Facebook Really

Given that MS own Xbox it's incredible that they managed to screw this up. What could be easier than just adding it to the front of their own platform? Could have even added a streaming button to the console.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They did, on Xbox One it's already integrated into the dashboard. You can start streaming any game with a couple of button presses on the controller.

I've been using it during lockdown to stream party games so I can play with friends across the country...

No way I'm using FB's gaming thing, though. Good job there's a Twitch app... at least, there was a Twitch app...

2. fandom

MS bought a chunk of Facebook back when it still was a private company

4. MJI Silver badge

Why would they do this?

Why Facebook?

Why not just say, move back to Twitch or whatever youused before.

5. Ashentaine

Hardly surprising

I mean yeah, Ninja had the Twitch channel with the most viewers at the time... an insane amount really. But most of those viewers were there specifically for that one channel and had no interest in anything else. When he was done streaming they simply left instead of migrating to other channels. You're not going to build a platform if the potential users can't be bothered to stick around and explore the other content.

Then again, Mixer really didn't do that great of a job of promoting its content creators to begin with, so there's that too.

6. Mark192

The Register snickered: "So millions upon millions well spent, then, huh Microsoft? If only you'd prefixed it with "Azure" or pinned a "365" on the end"

Burn!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like