back to article Step on it, I've got the police on my hack: Anon swipes, leaks online 269GB of crime intel docs from cops, Feds

Some 269GB of data stolen from police and the Feds in America has been shared online by miscreants. Known as BlueLeaks, the info trove consists mostly of crime intelligence material uploaded to what are known as fusion centers. The data was taken by hackers operating under the Anonymous banner, and was bunged on the DDoSecrets …

1. Sanctimonious Prick
    Happy

Slow News Day?

Just kidding! :D

When will these silly hackers learn we're not interested in what Johnny Rotten is up to - _we_want_the_ufo_files_!

:P

1. sev.monster Silver badge
      Alien

Re: Slow News Day?

Just go meet up with amanfromMars.

2. Flywheel
      Devil

Re: Slow News Day?

We want the Boris Johnson Russia Report!

Mind you, I'm sure there are people that would still vote for him even after reading it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hahahahahahahahahaha

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But who shall guard the guards' data?

no one, obviously.

4. Quinch
    Joke

If we had mandatory backdoors, this would never have happened.

5. Flak

What happened to encryption at rest?

If the data was encrypted, they must have had legitimate user or admin credentials - probably without multifactor authentication?

1. Chris G

Re: What happened to encryption at rest?

The system can't be too complicated, otherwise officers like Sherrif Buford.T.Justice won't bbe able to operate it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought the standard US way of working was to add the cost of the encryption and security they should have done to start with.. to the "damages" caused by the hacker.

1. Flywheel

Don't worry, the victims will probably be offered a year's free subscription to some shonky credit-monitoring agency: that seems to be the going rate.

1. BebopWeBop

One which inevitably contributes to making this data available to all and sundry.

2. Spanners Silver badge
        Big Brother

Chris G, just stopping certain types of users from getting in might actually cure a lot of their security problems for a start. It might also cure certain types of misuse as well.

Lets see how current events change US policing. I have my doubts but lets be hopeful. If they get rid of the "bad apples", wins all round. I just won't hold my breath for it!

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

When the NSA got hacked the malware stuff wasn't encrypted either. This is a government project, encryption is in the Nice To Have list, it's not in the budget.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

People that waste their time listening to politicians would be under the impression that only the "bad guys" use encryption.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

they must have had legitimate user or admin credentials

Ummm, that's not how at-rest encryption works.

6. ratfox
    Happy

Nice

These documents would or should be available with a Freedom of Information request anyway, but this saves a lot of time

1. J. Cook Silver badge

Re: Nice

That, and you'll get it with any redaction, too!

1. J. Cook Silver badge

Re: Nice

er, withOUT redaction... I could have sworn that I typed it correctly the first time.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like