back to article Email innovator Hey extends an olive branch in standoff with Apple, tweaks code to make the iGiant appier

A truce is being threatened in the standoff between Apple's App Store and email imagineer Hey. With a new take on email, Hey has its own dedicated app and requires users pay a subscription fee to use the service. Apple was unimpressed, first demanding a cut of the company's revenues before seeming to threaten to remove the app …

1. jake Silver badge

A subscription fee for email‽

Well, THERE'S your problem ... Never mind piddly bickering with Cupertino, you lot have bigger issues to address.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: A subscription fee for email‽

Exchange ain't free, and neither is a corporate Google Mail.

There's definitely a lot of people willing to pay for stuff over-and-above the core email feature set.

In many ways Hey is an email filter service, and there are several other companies making money doing that.

2. noboard

Err, I pay for my email. It doesn't get scanned and interupted with adverts that are no use to me. For the services I get, it's well worth the money.

No idea about this "hey" email though.

3. Lee D Silver badge

I used to pay for Hotmail, back in the day.

People run their entire businesses on GMail and pay for business inboxes.

Exchange costs a fortune when you take into account the CALs, and more if you use it via the Cloud.

Hell, I pay for a domain name, a dedicated server, etc. for my own personal domains - just so I can collect or refuse email in the way I want (I own the entire domain, so I can just make up anything@mydomain.com and it will work... and then when some company spams the email I gave them, I know who they were, and I can just shut that alias down). Not to mention that, then, nobody knows where that email actually goes (it ends up in a popular webmail), but I can literally change the destination in seconds, or even copy every email to multiple places for redundancy. Oh, and I give out forwarded address to friends and family.

I haven't changed my domain in nearly 20 years, and have always had paid-for services behind that (the domain itself, the servers, etc.), and I have a complete archive of every email I've ever sent and received despite my "provider" / destination mailbox changing dozens of times over the year.

Personal users aren't the target - and aren't profitable at all anyway. Hotmail/GMail don't make any money out of personal users, except as a branding exercise and "consumer data". As you suggest, they can go anywhere and get a free email address. But private users serious about their email and the millions of business users... that's their market.

1. itzumee

I too have my own domain name and use it in the way you've described, but some organisation's email relies on the email address actually existing (or so I was told) and so I'd never receive emails to my your-company-name@mypersonaldomain.co.uk

It doesn't happen with many organisations, though Patreon was another from whom I'd never receive emails to patreon@mydomain.co.uk until I emailed them to explain things.

1. Giles C Silver badge

I do the same but never have had this problem. It might be that i setup a catchall@(domain) email where anything unspecified goes into - I usually empty it once a week, sometimes 5 emails sometimes 500!

Anyone sending to anything at (domain) well it will get delivered but not read....

2. Lee D Silver badge

"All" emails at my domain exist - I don't have to create accounts/aliases.

It doesn't mean that they will go anywhere useful until I authorise them to, however. They get held in limbo/quarantine until I allow that alias to deliver mail onwards to the real inbox.

Catch-all on the domain, mailbox storage on the catch-all, forwarding only for listed aliases.

I literally do <companyname/code/made-up-on-the-fly-names>@mydomain.com and email always gets delivered (I have a 5-minute greylisting on new aliases, so obvious-made-up spam rarely delivers even into the holding mailbox).

The worst I ever have to do is override the greylisting if I'm bored of waiting the 5 minutes that they are asked to wait before retrying delivery.

2. monty75

So bored of hearing about Hey and their desperate attention-seeking behaviour to get some free advertising

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>So bored of hearing about Apple and their desperate attention-seeking behaviour to get some free advertising

FTFY

2. Joel Mansford

Now imagine starting, I don't know maybe a barista-free, Covid-safe coffee business where you use your phone to order your coffee but take payment via contact-less credit card.

This is a great idea, people expect apps so you write an iOS & Android app and attempt to put them on the respective stores. Apple however turnaround and say "this isn't free you're charging offline" and demand a percentage of your company revenue.

Now what do you do? Ignore all Apple users or go to the media?

Personally I think big businesses get away with far too much of this kind of shit which is one of the reasons I really like what Joe Lycett has been doing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51703859

1. Beeblebrox

App?

"business where you use your phone to order your coffee but take payment via contact-less credit card."

Isn't that something that could be handled adequately by a website? Then no appstore is involved, so no cut.

To me there seem to be too many things that want one to use an app unnecessarily, when a website will do just fine; I do, however, think email is a worthy exception - I'm prepared to use an app for email that connects to any email provider that supports IMAP, pop3, SMTP, rather than use webmail.

3. Warm Braw

Less than fragrant

Flagrant?

4. tygrus.au

What are you actually paying for?

If Apple store want a cut of iOS app revenue then you make the iOS service an addon for a small price. Apple get their cut of the small amount. The multi-platform service is paid for outside Apple store because it's not an iOS exclusive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like