back to article Features vs compatibility: Google Chrome team promises more 'rigour', but what does that mean?

A software engineer in the Google Chrome team has spoken about inconsistency in feature support across different web browsers, promising a "more compatible 2021". In a recent post, Google’s Stephen McGruer referred to a couple of Mozilla developer surveys, including the Developer Needs Assessment, out late last year, which …

1. karlkarl Silver badge

We have Chrome and Firefox.

I don't think we ever did have a 3rd browser did we?

1. John Miles

RE: 3rd browser did we

We had Opera with its own engine until 2013 when it became something based on Chrome

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Re: RE: 3rd browser did we

And it was a freaking shame, Opera used to be my favorite browser.

Sometimes I use Midori to see how a website looks on it but the poor green thing crashes a whole lot.

2. Lorribot

Google, like Microsoft before it, has its own requirements from the browser and thus its own development agenda.

It has shown it cares little for standards unless supporting these enhances itself in someway. Its main aim is domininate and control or destroy any opposition.

However there some that are not rolling over and dying and some that have become the spy in the camp. An enemy within.

KarlKarl, there 300 browsers, but only 5 engines of any signifcance

Gecko (Mozilla), Blink (Chromium), Webkit (Safari, a fork of KHTML), Trident (IE) and EdgeHTML (MS edge)

Trident and EdgeHTML have effectively ceased development, which leaves three.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Blink is a fork of Webkit.

When the KDE project said they intended to Konquer the world. Who would have guessed that their code would form the basis for pretty much all the browsers out there, including Microsoft’s?

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"This is the real news: that Microsoft and Google are collaborating"

Satan and Beelzebub are going hand in hand. I'm not quite sure I'm reassured by this turn of events.

Meanwhile, Borkzilla's latest update installs Edge as default browser even if you had Chrome before. I wonder how long it's going to take Google to tap Borkzilla on the shoulder and say "knock it off" ?

1. X5-332960073452
      Stop

Re: "This is the real news: that Microsoft and Google are collaborating"

Not one of the computers I've seen that have received the ChEdge update have had the default set to Edge, all have remained as previously set.

(unlike Music and Videos, which Groove and Film & TV regularly like to 'steal')

1. Simian Surprise

Does this work?

Slightly OT, but does this do anything at all other than anger users? Us techies notice when the default browser changes from our favorite, but my parents even complain when Chrome themes itself slightly differently, let alone morphs into a completely different browser.

4. jelabarre59

Rigorous

About the only thing Google is "rigorous" about is censoring and demonetizing anyone who doesn't spout Google's approved form of "goodspeak".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like