back to article Virgin Galactic inks deal with NASA to train astro-tourists looking to buy a seat to the International Space Station

Virgin Galactic, the company that has yet to send a paying passenger on a sub-orbital lob, let alone trouble anything more challenging, has opened the door to "Private Orbital Spaceflight". Not that its SpaceShipTwo, which has notched up a pair of sub-orbital flights, will be going anywhere near orbit. The deal is strictly for …

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

For Captivation and Capture of Wealthy Space Worthy Travellers, Genuine Guinea Pig Master Pilots

Richard Branson's team instead plans to provide "an unparalleled, personalized customer experience for orbital space travel" for those that sign up for its orbital astronaut readiness programme.

I have only one searching question of Sir Richard's novel enterprise. In Premier First Classes are Experiences as a Pirate Feast for Private Eyes?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: For Captivation and Capture of Wealthy Space Worthy Travellers, Genuine Guinea Pig Master Pilots

I'm wondering where second class would be. Outside?

:)

2. macjules

COVID-2021

Dear NASA Director,

If you do not give me $500m in subsidy to help my BVI-registered company then I will be forced to make all my Virgin Galactic staff redundant. I can offer you my Necker Island as a guarantee..

Signed Beardy

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

all good news, really

think about it - multiple private companies trying to offer space-related things, which maybe in 5 years or so would be actual space craft launching with private citizens in them, to an orbital getaway.

Could it help to pay for a "hotel wing" to the ISS? Maybe. One of those inflatable add-ons perhaps. Inflatables. Heh. And a new level to achieve for the mile-high club.

All good! (think of the history of flight in general, and we're on a good path right now)

1. John Jennings

Re: all good news, really

The balloon habitat - built by Bigelow - is still up there - used for monitoring and storage now, I think.

Its called BEAM, and been very successful.

It is now planned to stay up as long as the ISS does.

I believe that they passed on NASAs tender for a larger module fir ISS- not enough in it for them at 500M, but have offered to assist on Artemis.

4. hatti

The mile high club is so last decade.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I joined in 1997 and it seemed kinda dated even then.

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: The mile high club is so last decade

True, but the Two Hundred Mile High club would be pretty exclusive for a while.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like