back to article Australia's Lion brewery hit by second cyber attack as nation staggers under suspected Chinese digital assault

As Australia reels under sustained cyber attacks following increased Chinese diplomatic hostility, the country's Lion brewery and dairy conglomerate has been hit for the second time. The Sydney Morning Herald reported that Lion told its staff today "it had been hit by a second cyber attack that had further disrupted its IT …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Facepalm

An Attack or a Screwup?

There's no way to really know but it sounds like a typical situation where someone (maybe working from home and connected via VPN?) checked one of their email accounts and opened an attachment that seemed to be from a supplier... maybe Newlabel.img to see if the new labels looked good, or maybe proforma invoice.zip (proforma invoice.exe), Enquiry.lzh, New Purchase - June.zip (New Purchase - June.bat), VALIDATE HERE.html, awb_1446275724_invoice-receipt.xlsm ... etc etc - these are just the ones I've received (and deleted) since lunchtime.

If you are connected to the internet in any way then you have the potential to be under attack. Everything flowing through the internet must be checked and quarantined if there is even the slightest possibility of infection.

1. Magani
      Pint

Re: An Attack or a Screwup?

Considering that the attacks are spread across a wide range of industries simultaneously, I'd suggest it's more than Scotty from Marketing opening an attachment.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

no working backups ?

so their backups didnt work and they say... it was virus

2. macjules

NotPetya was exactly that. Someone in Maersk Kiev opened an attachment and the virus spread from there.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They aren't after Scotty from Marketing.

It's Dick from the senior management team (details on the companies website) and Helen in accounts payable they want.

Ransomware generally comes in via a client device or e-mail - and both are being heavily pushed at the moment because normal company structures are a little out of shape and more vulnerable.

2. Nifty Silver badge

I don't get the WFH angle. Just as much chance of being clickjacked while in the office network.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not all companies had a clearly thought out WFH policy before this event - the policy in some companies was thou shalt not work from home so we won't consider the security implications.

Combine that with overloaded remote access solutions and workarounds like VPN split tunnelling and suddenly the legacy hard perimeter is full of holes and client AV isn't sufficient to stop more advanced threats.

3. vtcodger Silver badge
      Devil

Let me see if I have this straight. The Chinese are thought to be using their no doubt extensive and sophisticated cyber warfare capability to target ... banks? The Australian military? The Australian power grid?

Nope. They're out to batter an Australian brewery into submission???

Well, maybe. ... Are there are tanker loads of Tsingtao beer hovering in the Pacific just beyond the reach of radar from Brisbane, Newcastle, and Sydney waiting to sell their product to thirsty Australians at extortionate prices?

1. Warm Braw

I think we can safely say it's unlikely they're after the recipe.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No better way to piss of an Aussie than to go after their beer.....

3. DavCrav

"Nope. They're out to batter an Australian brewery into submission???"

They are also attacking all of the things you suggest. It's total cyber-war, by China, likely as punishment for Australian 'transgressions' regarding the international investigation into COVID.

1. Kabukiwookie

Sure it's not the NSA from Hongkong making sure that Oz does what the US says it should be doing, while in the meantime prepping Oz to be a dumping ground for chlorine washed chickens, force grown beef and mediocre military equipment pandered by its military industrial complex?

1. Dagg Silver badge

And Pabst Blue beer...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

And Pabst Blue "beer"...

FTFY

2. julian.smith
          Mushroom

"It's total cyber-war, by China"

I don't think so - the consensus view is that China has significant cyber capability.

This isn't sophisticated, except perhaps to Scotty.

Another reliable source, the Daily Mail, had advice on how to protect your home computer from the "attacks"

4. Trixr

It's not just Lion, there's a whole raft of govt agencies - local and federal - and businesses that are being targeted in Oz at the moment.

And yes, none of the methods are particularly sophisticated, but they're getting in via unpatched SharePoint, IIS, and Telerik products as well as spearphishing emails

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Are there are tanker loads of Tsingtao beer hovering in the Pacific just beyond the reach of radar from Brisbane, Newcastle, and Sydney waiting to sell their product to thirsty Australians at extortionate prices?"

No, if only because there are plenty of horses with full bladders in Australia still

4. jgarbo
      Devil

More likely some fool is updating Windows. Why would the Chinese govt attack a beer maker? TsingTao is already better than Oz suds.

1. "Dead Eye"

For Australia this would be an attack against a bit of Critical National Infrastructure...

1. Kabukiwookie

Nobody's going to be upset if they can't get a Speight's in the pub anymore..

5. General Purpose

Let's not jump to the conclusion that someone opened a dodgy attachment. If people think that's all they have to worry about, they're horribly vulnerable. It'd be like thinking you're safe from being scammed because you don't do internet dating.

2. Lorribot

Two questions

Ask yourself two questions

How ready is your company to deal with one let alone two attacks?

How luck do you feel today?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. sanmigueelbeer

Re: Two questions

that the company had contracted multinational professional services company Accenture to assist it in recovery efforts

Could've been worse. Could've been IBM.

3. Snowy Silver badge
    Facepalm

If China has nothing to hide...

then it should have nothing to fear in an international investigation :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If China has nothing to hide...

Of late, the Middle Kingdom has become simultaneously defensive, belligerent and very thin skinned.

Stand by for tears at bedtime.

1. Chris G

That is hardly surprising considering the billions of dollars of sanctions and accusations from the Persimmon Primate and others that every ill afflicting the world originated in the middle kingdom.

I have noticed that other countries seem to be equally thin skinned when under scrutiny.

Frankly, I don't trust any government.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Whataboutism that assists the enemy, another useful idiot.

To compare a tyranny like China with democratic countries is naive or corrupt.

Choose your side

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Stork Silver badge

Oh yes, and how is the Russian interference report coming along?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Russia in terrible trouble due to long term low oil prices.

I expect Russia was doing some interference, doubt it had much impact and a lot of the evidence was lacking in credibility.

2. JCitizen
              WTF?

@My other car is also a Trabant

Where is this right wing media? I watch almost every news service on TV and haven't found one yet! BBC comes as close as I've found, as they seem to report all the news and the uncomfortable news too. Is that your single source?

Backwater internet trolls don't count, they are not big enough to provide coverage to the public at large; just fringe groups and there are plenty of those to keep all flavor if nuthatches happy. That includes Breitbart - nobody even heard of them until the regular news media started screaming about them.

2. Chris G

Most of the useful idiots are those who don't question enough of what they are told.

I don't know where you live but I doubt it is a genuine democracy.

China is not a democracy and does not pretend to be even if it is far from the best place in the world it's not the worst place in the world either.

I'm not defending them or approving as just like most countries they must try harder.

Some beans; https://chinapower.csis.org/china-middle-class/

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

UK.

Economist magazine does the rankings of democracies. Not perfect but pretty much the gold standard. You are welcome to come up with an alternative.

Countries split into leagues with top 2 considered to be a democracy. This comprises 75 countries. UK is league 1 mid table, slightly below Germany and above France.

USA iirc is league 2, mainly due to gerrymandering, lack of limits on campaign spending etc.

Until Xi came along China was heading in right direction. Democracy usually driven by middle class, the only non democracies richer that China were oil states that do not have income tax.

3. BebopWeBop

Not at all. While the comparisons might be difficult, it is a useful indicator of where we might be driven if we do not exercise constant vigilance. A comment about a western policy that includes the line 'just what China would do' might give people appropriate food for thought.

4. teknopaul

You dont have to choose a side.

Not going to war was an option.

Ending it still is.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

By not picking a side you are by default choosing to not confront evil.

When it is Democracy v Non Democracy it is always Democracy to choose and usually the winning side.

5. Kabukiwookie

Choose your side

I choose myself and other non warmongering people who prefer to cooperate instead of antagonise for personal short-term gain.

So stick your fake two-party democracy down-under (not Oz) and crawl back under your rock.

2. DavCrav

"That is hardly surprising considering the billions of dollars of sanctions"

Blah blah blah. The belligerence, concentration camps, militarization of the South China Sea, etc., all happened before Trump's sanctions.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

As did Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam and all the other American imperialist adventures.

Your point? God is on your side or something?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>>The belligerence, concentration camps,

Apparently the camps are, "exactly the right thing to do!" according to the "leader" of the "free world".

1. Anonymous Coward
              Gimp

.....according to some gimp with no credibility trying to flog his book.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

>some gimp with no credibility

Don't you mean an ultra-right right-wing neocon hawk? Short memory you have there,

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Whoever he is, whatever his politics, he has a grudge and a book to sell.

The only reason people believe him as because he's attacking Trump, but that doesn't make it true.

Trump is perfectly capable of doing and saying stupid things without other people making new ones up.

3. fajensen

The belligerence, concentration camps, militarization of the South China Sea, etc., all happened before Trump's sanctions.

I am confused: Are we talking about the USA or China here?

The USA has the "immigrant processing centers" and Indefinite Detention + Guantanmo to be proud of, Australia, being the poor cousin, has only the "immigrant processing islands" ....

1. Anonymous Coward
              Coat

Why are you pretending that those are the same things.

China is locking up people in re-education camps for the crime of being muslim.

America holds illegal immigrants in order to deport them.

Australia intercepts illegal immigrants before they get to the mainland, diverting them to an island so that they can be deported ( this has vastly cut the number of drownings, by the way ).

America also arrests and holds enemy combatants.

Which of those things is bad? I'll give you a clue, it's the one being perpetrated by the Chinese Communist Party.

Bloody children posting on El Reg. They should check ID at the door.

1. batfink

You mean "people the US declares to be "enemy combatants"" don't you? You might also want tho think about the Black Sites as well,as well as the illegal renditions.

I also suggest that you educate yourself on the US prison system and rates of incarceration, and the ethic mix of prisoners there. You might also want to find out how much the prisoners are paid for their labour there, and how close you think that is to modern slave labour.

1. Kabukiwookie

You might also want to find out how much the prisoners are paid for their labour there, and how close you think that is to modern slave labour.

Sadly it's not that far from the minimum wage in the US if you take into account the 'free' room an board the prisoners are receiving

Not a good thing and just another indictment of the US banana republic.

Was in NY earlier this year for business and thought I landed in a warzone when I was driven in a huge 4x4 to Manhattan. Disgusting surroundings, rubbish everywhere. Potholes you can park a Smart car in. No wonder they need a 4x4 to get around.

Will not go back there voluntarily any time soon.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Crocodile tears?

3. Flywheel

No worries! I have my Winnie-the-Pooh cuddly toy to guard me!

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Firewall chicken

Networking people really need to get more aggressive about blocking huge chunks of the Internet that doesn't like playing nice. The potential loss of a few legitimate customers isn't anything compared to the constant attacks that certain networks pride themselves on hosting. Start with Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese government networks, OVH, and DigitalOcean. If it works out, maybe try FOS VPN, Google, and Amazon too.

Or do nothing and let the Internet slowly decay into nothing but constant attacks. It's why there's no more free WiFi. Free WiFi companies did nothing about customers with infected laptops and eventually everything was supersaturated with botnet attacks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Firewall chicken

You are arguing for walled gardens controlled by politicians. What could possibly go wrong?

Normally, it's the Chinese and Russian who are advocating excluding the rest of the world, for reasons. You sound just like them. Maybe you're as scared as they are.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

I never mentioned politicians. I'm talking about why public blacklists and blacklist services aren't used more often. These can be selected and used by whatever serves a company best.

The current technique of re-actively blocking single abusive IPv4 addresses stopped working well some time in early 1990.

2. iron Silver badge

Blocking chunks of the internet does nothing except annoy people, block potential customers / users and give you a false sense of security.

40% of phishing attacks come from C&C servers in the USA - by far the vast majority. Are you're going to block USA IP addresses from your networks?

The top six phishing C&C locations are USA, Russia, Germany, Netherlands, France & UK. Well done your 'clever' IP blocks prevent none of them.

Stats: https://www.csoonline.com/article/3153707/top-cybersecurity-facts-figures-and-statistics.html

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pooh Bear and his crew

Pathetic, scary, but ultimately pathetic.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pot accuses kettle......

....of course....Five Eyes countries have NEVER, EVER mounted cyber attacks on anyone else, never mind on THEIR OWN ALLIES.....

Oh wait.......

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/21/british-spies-hacked-into-belgacom-on-ministers-orders-claims-report

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Re: Pot accuses kettle......

Well, it's pretty clear that the NSA/CIA have never successfully targeted a foreign brewery. The evidence: Budweiser-Light.

7. Colonel Mad

WTF

I couldn't give a XXXX

8. IGotOut Silver badge

Odd statement.

"The company is now focusing on defence efforts over restoration from the previous attack"

That's like saying we've replaced the ceiling, walls and floor, but we left the leaking pipe pissing out water while we did the repairs.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trade sanctions and cyberattacks

Current weapons of choice for superpowers apparently.

Why are the Australians surprised?

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Trade sanctions and cyberattacks

Current weapons of choice for superpowers apparently.

Over in Ladakh, the Chinese are allegedly using other types of weapons...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-53089037

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You are aware that the Indian Prime Minister stated that "there were no foreign incursions into India"?

Are you just China bashing because of your prejudices or because you know they're at fault?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or do you think the Indian Government is playing nice so they don't get involved in another spat with China?

There are definite incursions by China, there was an article I read, can't remember if it was Guardian or New York Times, but it was an interview with a farmer from the region and he was stating that China has slowly been developing infrastructure and moving further and further in to the valley. So far that people are now leaving the farming and herding to go get jobs in the cities.

China is well known to be grabbing land in and around it's borders to shore up its defences. Take moving millions of Han Chinese in to Tibet, more millions in to Xinxiang. In all cases to try to ethnically cleanse the areas so any claims for separation are muted or removed completely.

India knows that a war with China will be devastating, so like any bully, Modi who has happily shouted and screamed at minority groups inside the country, risked war with Pakistan to shore up his votes; he's basically shit himself when he's come up against a bigger bully in the shape of China.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Australia's Encryption-Busting Law

Well they were warned it would make them less secure.

Looks like the Australian leadership has just learnt the hard way. But they know best.

Idiots.

1. Trixr

Re: Australia's Encryption-Busting Law

That's not it. I don't know of anyone who's using some govt backdoor encryption - we're using vendor/industry-standard stuff.

The exploits have nothing to do with TLS either. They're getting in via unpatched SharePoint, IIS etc, and spearphishing

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Australia's Encryption-Busting Law

Different idiots then.

11. Tom 7

Camra

got a militant wing?

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Camra

Ale-Qaeda?

12. botski@comcast.net

Why blame China for the pandemic? It's obvious our Stable Genius ordered his military to create the virus and plant it in Wuhan. And, like everything he has mismanaged since he was 18 years old, the virus went viral. (/s. (Or is it?))

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Horses, races run etc

It's not as if Australia doesn't have form blaming hackers for the national census failure. I'll wait until there is some actual evidence from a reputable source before attribution to the Chinese. Which is not to be confused with me thinking the Chinese didn't/wouldn't do this, I just want some evidence first.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Re: Horses, races run etc

Given the form* of the Australian Strategic Policy Institute which couldn’t blame China fast enough it is almost certainly somebody else.

*Have a gander at their Wikipedia entry and the section headed Criticisms.

1. batfink

Re: Horses, races run etc

Never mind the criticisms, just have a look at their sponsors

14. julian.smith
    Facepalm

Australian Politicians and IT

Scotty from Marketing claimed:

- it was sophisticated, it wasn't

- it was widespread, couldn't name a company under attack

- it was a foreign actor, his sock puppets said China - without proof

China almost certainly has the capability for sophisticated, large scale cyber attacks - this wasn't one

My advice:

- don't piss off your biggest customer unless you are really sure of what you are doing and why you are doing it (Anyone want some barley, we've suddenly got plenty available)

- hope that the Chinese don't find out about Australia's blackballing of Huawei because, wait for it - it may contain undetected backdoors, unlike American kit

15. Citizen99

Mate, attacking the beer is seriously out of order

1. julian.smith
      Pint

Mate, attacking the beer is seriously out of order

If Australians made good beer they could export some ... unfortunately only Trumpland or the UK are possible markets

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not blaming, but don't forget

I' m not saying this was China, but don't forget that Chinese APT groups are all government run.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least it's not an act of war...

so long as it's the west doing the attacking. /S

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Targetted attacks

Most attacks are targeted these days, rather than the spray and pray of yesteryear. The organisation I work for is a massive target and trying to explain to users AND even IT guys, the importance of basic good security practice something makes me want to throw people off the roof.

If China is involved, a brewer is just the kind of thing I would go for on top of banks, public utilities etc as it demonstrates that no one is safe from attack. I'm surprised they haven't been hitting charities and other "non essential" firms just to scare the public and demonstrate to the government that ANYONE at ANYTIME can be hit.

Annoyingly since most people going in to IT security tend to be box checking morons with no experience of actually DOING an IT job, I think we'll see a lot of the push back "security measures" will actually cause more harm as people are stopped from doing their day jobs by insanely tight security rules that don't actually do anything useful but look good on paper to those with no support knowledge.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like