back to article Ryzen shine, kids: Huawei buries AMD silicon in latest laptop, hopes to lure 'young professionals'

Given the continuous turmoil in Huawei’s telecoms and mobile businesses, it’s easy to forget that the company’s laptop business remains relatively unscathed, with the Chinese tech giant regularly introducing new models. The latest is the Ryzen-powered Huawei MateBook 13 AMD Edition ultrabook. At first glance, the Matebook 13 …

1. Hetz Ben Hamo

3550U

That's... Last gen CPU

Why would someone buy this?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: 3550U

Because most people buying laptops don't want to pay the large premium for the latest and greatest processor that will make little difference to them.

So probably covers about 99% of the general public.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Considering the lifetime of Laptops is now more like 5 years, this year's CPU will be outdated for 80% of the machines life as well. Additionally, the single thread performance of modern CPUs is no longer growing rapidly.

If you really think about your budget and performance over the whole lifecycle you can a) spend in the order of 1k or 1.5k for the latest and greatest now. If you use that machine for, say, four years you will be 3 years behind at the EOL. Or b) Spend half of the money for a laptop and you can buy a new one after two years already, which will be one gen ahead of the machine in a). Plus you can try to sell the two years old machine, or give it to one of the kids, or a relative, or use it as a media centre.

1. alain williams Silver badge

Considering the lifetime of Laptops is now more like 5 years, this year's CPU will be outdated for 80% of the machines life as well. Additionally, the single thread performance of modern CPUs is no longer growing rapidly.

Your criteria for buying something seem to be "because it is new"; should it not be "it does what I need". You might need a top of the range high powered laptop but I doubt that most people do. This machine would do me nicely except that I would like a smaller screen to fit easier in my ruck sack, I have a large screen at home - I do not need one when out & about.

See: we all have different needs.

1. Joe W Silver badge

You completely missed my point.

The new CPU will be outdated next year, so why bother getting the latest and greatest. Rather get something decent and spend less money (or upgrade more often, if you really need that).

I totally agree on the screen - though I am no longer traveling that often (and much less by plane, for the last two years) I can still remember that. In a plane, even an 11" screen is almost too big, it's a ton of fun watching fellow travelers trying to open their laptops, getting the screen only halfway open, typing with their hands between the keyboard and the half opened lid....

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: outdated next year

My guess Joe W, is that you must be under 30? I'm typing this on a Dell XPS, an L502X XPS, that's 9 years old and my daily driver for work! Outdated next year you say? I would argue, that YOU completely missed the point!

BTW my bad for destroying the environment with my 130W power supply

2. Steve Todd

How about because the 3000 series mobile Ryzen CPUs weren’t very competitive, being beaten fairly noticeably by the Intel range at time of launch. The 4000 series are a lot faster, beating Intel’s refreshed lineup in most test, and using less power into the bargain.

The price that is being asked isn’t that of a bargain basement device, and as such you’d expect reasonable performance compared to similar devices in the price range.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who'd want an XPS or Macbook with their slow overpriced 14nm+++++++ vulnerability riddled intel space heaters? AMD is so hot right now.

1. Chz

The problem is that the 3000-series mobile AMD chips still wasted a lot of power in idle. A bug that's only been fixed with the 4000-series. These laptops are competitive with Intel, but not better. If it was a 4000, then you'd be right.

3. c3me

Thanks for drawing attention to this laptop.

I've been looking for a MacBook Air zone laptop for a while, but stalled at the 1500 GBP.

With Wintel laptops in that zone at 1000 GBP, this WinAMD option at under 600 GBP is refreshing.

Bottom line: I just bought one.

1. c3me

confirmed

just like MacBook Air - except for the price and you cannot open the screen with one hand!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like