back to article America's Team Telecom urges FCC to do something about that 120Tbps fiber line between US, Hong Kong

The White House's Team Telecom advisory committee wants the FCC to put the kibosh on a proposed capacious fiber-optic cable linking America and Hong Kong. The super-body said this week a 120Tbps fiber pipe between Los Angeles and the former British colony shouldn't be fully switched on due to security concerns. This is only a …

1. NetBlackOps

Last time I looked, even though they may be subsidieries of Facebook and Google, current PRC law still requires majority Chinese ownership and cooperation with government under their national security law. Similar to US laws with respect to national security, which is yet another shining example of US hypocritical behavior. Me, not Thee.

1. Scene it all

Or they seem shocked, SHOCKED, that large businesses have close ties to the PRC government. Well of COURSE they do! That's how they run things there.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

Still no differences with the USA...

2. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Nations gonna nation.

Hypocrisy? Where? This is about sovereignty, and our ability to effectively resist the efforts of an increasingly hostile power. Hypocrisy would be if we objected to the EU doing the same with us. I see no similar concerns being raised by the EU. It is only if the EU made similar restrictions, and we criticized them that hypocrisy would be in play.

It's not our concern if the EU is happy to have their data running through pipe we control.

As I've said many times, if you don't control DNS in your country, you're not really very sovereign, when it comes to the internet. This is more of the same.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Team Telecom

F**k yeah!

3. Claptrap314 Silver badge

BGT poisoning reaching end of life?

So..they lay our for real capacities to have a similar effect.

Never said these guys are stupid.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like