back to article The bork on the sign goes round and round, round and round, round and round

Bork comes in all shapes and sizes. Rectangular, square or blue. Sometimes it comes in a cylinder, as shown in these snaps taken earlier this month by a Register reader in Auckland, New Zealand. Because this is very much a wraparound example of the breed, we have included some additional views of the borkitude for purposes of …

1. Luiz Abdala
    Go

Enterprise SMART firmware on home drives?

On one occasion, a SMART launched me a warning that the drive had worked "too many hours" on 160GB home drive.

There wasn't a single fault with it, even after I donated it charity, when I duly formatted it and slapped Ubuntu on it, just to deliver a working "ran when parked" machine.

On a home drive, it was a pure trolling warning. The drive didn't have a single "Enterprise MTBF" goal, put apparently, the SMART crapped all over itself because the machine ran 24/7 for over 10 years. In fact, said warning only showed up if you ran a SMART diagnostic, but it never borked on boot over that.

Commendable drive.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Re: Enterprise SMART firmware on home drives?

To be fair ten years is usually the most modern harddrives last. I had one in a 286 last almost twenty-five years then it just died one day or maybe was the Bios. Anyway the thing had to be throw in the trash, thankfully we had backup floppy disks that being the flat ones still worked quite well.

The downside was getting the flat floppy disk drive to work in another PC and being over two hours copying files because EVERYTHING was important even the disk labelled "Games".

God forbid you no longer can play MS Dos 2.0 version of snake, that's what Dosbox is for right?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Zealand has an SSD?

People were worried about the USA taking a few hundred years to build a Death Star, and now we learn New Zealand has a Super Star Destroyer!

1. Muscleguy
      Joke

Re: New Zealand has an SSD?

Ssshhh! You think RocketLabs black livery is a happenstance? Soon all your bases bilong to us, eh bro?

1. MichaelBirks

Re: New Zealand has an SSD?

Battlestation New Zealand has been ... fully operational for some time now.

3. Captain Scarlet
    Trollface

256GB for a sign!

Wow that must have some flashy images on it normally!

1. cosymart
      Pirate

Re: 256GB for a sign!

Probably a very good salesman "You really do need this much memory, cheap compared to the wraparound LCDs".

1. Muscleguy

Or the boss hasn’t figured out how to mirror the drive so he can replace it with something smaller and put the 256GB in his home machine.

1. Qumefox

256gb isn't that much storage space these days. It's pretty much the bare minimum for a windows (eww) install after you install literally any other software as well. Plus I'm not sure any reputable SSD manufacture is even still manufacturing SSD's smaller than 256gb anymore. the only 'new' ones I seem to find that aren't NOS are fly by night chinese no name vendors probably building them out of dumpster dived flash modules.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

There still seem to be plenty of 120 / 128GB devices out there, but the 60/64GB devices we've been using at work for some time are pretty thin on the ground.

CPC's collection

eBuyer's collection

CCL's collection

M.

1. Luiz Abdala
              Pint

I had a machine without a boot drive, and I found a Sandforce 3 SSD (!!!!) 60 GB lying around. In the BOTTOM of a drawer. THAT ONE. When Raptors were all the rage and nobody trusted SSD's would be the future. Barely used.

Like finding a Renault 1.5 engine... that revs to 17.000 rpm in the dumpster behind the F1 division of Renault.

And you cram that in a Clio.

1. chr0m4t1c

Given how often those things blew up, I'd leave it in the bin...

2. Captain Scarlet

Well 256GB I would recommend for home as a bare minimum, but for work 128GB is fine (30GB free on my W10 machine).

4. W.S.Gosset

I'm impressed

In all my years of various disks failing, I've never ONCE seen or even heard of one first throwing a SMART warning.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like