back to article We cross now live to Oracle. Mr Ellison, any thoughts? 'Autonomous self-driving computers eliminate human labor, eliminate human error'

Oracle shares slipped in after-hours trading as the database giant reported fiscal fourth quarter results weighed down by the global coronavirus pandemic. The company delivered revenues of $10.4bn for its fiscal Q4 – the three months to May 31 – down six per cent year-on-year. Analysts on average had been looking for something …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Fill the void

'Autonomous self-driving computers eliminate human labor, eliminate human error', eliminate human jobs, eliminate humans.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fill the void

The logic of the Datk Judges.

2. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

> Autonomous self-driving computer systems eliminate [...] human error

...and replace it with computer error.

1. Cynic_999

Computer error is *extremely* rare. Programming error and input error OTOH ...

3. maffski

'...eliminate human jobs...'

Which is, of course, what increased productivity is. The elimination of human work. Otherwise 99% of us would still spend our days digging in the fields with hand tools.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

Shame you still need humans to design and programme those error free self-driving computers...

2. macjules

Now wash your hands

After reading any article concerning Ellison I am always inclined to wash my hands for 20 seconds.

3. Mark192

To be fair to him, most of my job should be automated and half of my work is caused by colleagues that messed up doing something that should have been automated anyway.

1. Andy 68

most of my job^H^H^H career has been googling things for other people, and I'm sure that could be automated away. Funny that it hasn't been yet

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Autonomous CEO software required

Human versions just cost too much for questionable return on investment.

5. Mike 137 Silver badge

"Autonomous self-driving computer systems eliminate [...] human error..."

Even an "autonomous vehicle" has to be told where you want to go. It can't decide that for itself. The same applies to "autonomous self-driving computer systems" - they can't decide your business strategy, or even your business tactics for you.

In my experience as a business risk consultant, the majority of human error stems from bad judgement at these strategic and tactical levels, so the "autonomous ... etc" computer system won't actually help at all. But it will probably sell like hot cakes to those whose lack of attention and vision causes them to make the strategic and tactical mistakes, because they'll be conned into thinking the machine will save them the hassle (see the growing number of tesla autopilot incidents for confirmation). And of course that's all any vendor is interested in.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Eliminating human error dramatically increases data security and system reliability. All of the big data losses at Amazon were caused by human error. There is no opportunity for any human error if your data is stored in an Oracle autonomous system."

Which was coded by a human, using criteria defined by a PHB who can't articulate what donut he wants for his morning elevenses let alone describe a critical business service. No technical staff to check to see what was asked was right in the first place - just autonomous non-thinking code churning out who-knows-what.

I've seen 'autonomous' processes deploy garbage all over the place because there is no-one keeping an eye on what is going on. Garbage in, garbage out.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Yes, but when have the facts ever stopped a beancounter signing off on the promise of savings through automation?

7. Robert Grant

We have taken a huge lead in the cloud ERP market, because our largest competitor SAP never rewrote their ERP applications for the cloud.

That is probably actually the case. We didn't make a good product, just the competition made a terrible one.

1. logicalextreme

From everything I heard and read about at my last workplace, who decided to adopt SAP because of (presumably) hard sells and backhanders, SAP did rewrite many applications for the cloud (and spent a hell of a lot of resource doing so).

Unfortunately it was still SAP doing it, so it's just shit that happens to be in a cloud rather than shit that's hosted. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to discern which element is common to the two options.

1. AdamWill

"who decided to adopt SAP because of (presumably) hard sells and backhanders"

gee, I bet they'll be so much happier after switching to...wait, who was the article about again?........oh.

8. Dan 55 Silver badge

We don't care that our Sparc servers are selling less than when we first bought Sun.

That's because you don't care about your Sparc servers, you've just let them wither and die.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile Oracle's security..

I interviewed with them two years ago. They were wanting help building their cloud. The interview was going great until I started talking about the criticality of security. Dropped me like a hot potato.

So, no, security incidents in Oracle's cloud won't be caused by human error. They are part of the intentional design.

10. Scene it all

AI optimized for what?

One has to wonder what Oracle would train this AI to optimize for. Possibly increased profits for Oracle?

"Beep beep, I see you need more storage - I have automatically ordered some for you, beep."

The human error will be in signing a purchase agreement for this.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Re: AI optimized for what?

The AI will sign off on orders.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like