back to article It's June, and you guessed it! Pork barrel time for resellers as £500m public sector framework gets go-ahead

Capita is among a bunch of resellers to win a place on a four-year framework worth up to £500m, set up for city and county councils across England to buy software, commodity hardware and related services. The contract award notice for the Software Products and Associated Services 2 agreement confirms that in total 10 suppliers …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hear from friends at Capita Business Services that their bonus for smashing targets this year has been whipped away again. Being a top notch IT company you would think they would have invested in a comprehensive remote access portal so that their employees could work from home on their company lappies in say the event of a pandemic wouldn't you? Well you would be wrong!

1. NeilPost Silver badge

I’m sure they will find someone in HMG willing to fund this development.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm pretty sure HMG have funded it one way or another several times already. Even the big, fat, stupid customer they support has working from home nailed. Oh the ignominy!

2. NeilPost Silver badge

Why??

“ The framework provides "software (including open source software), essential hardware and associated services and support and maintenance for cloud based, on premise and hybrid software solutions."

Councils will be able to select software for accounting systems, commercial-off-the-shelf and non-proprietary stuff, as well as CRM, ERP, data analysis, business intelligence, database tools, and inventory systems.”

Why the fuck do you need an outsourced deal to buy off the shelf software, hardware and maintenance for cloud and on-prem...most councils have existing fairly hefty procurement teams.... and AWS/Google/Microsoft/Dell/HP/BT/Lenovo etc will do much of this within other Government Procurement agreements.

Seems like money for nothing. ... and precious money to councils in current circumstances.

3. hoola Silver badge

SME

So much for opening the market to the smaller and medium sized providers.

The tenders will have been crafted such that it is simply impossible for an SME to have any chance of being successful. All that happens is that a few big and largely incompetent corporations continue to survive because of the tax payer.

Given the number of very public failures the likes of Capita, Serco, Fujitsu have in their inventory just where to the good references come from? For every public failure there has to be ten times that hidden away.

4. Philius
    Windows

GNU Health anyone?

Seems to me that if an open source hospital /enterprise resource planning system is already out there then why not use it?

https://medevel.com/gnuhealth-hospital-system/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like