back to article Google G1 successor spied in video?

A video demonstration of a handset thought to be the G1 Googlephone’s successor has been leaked online. Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com The seven-minute film opens with a shot of the phone’s front, which clearly shows the name “Dream”. The G1 was developed by HTC, and Dream is thought to have been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark W

Just Google Sci-Phone

And you'll see this is what looks just like a chinese rip-off running Android.

Don't forget they did http://technabob.com/blog/2008/07/04/sci-phone-iphone-clone-runs-java-apps/

2. SimonW

Must be the G2

Because

a) The battery clearly reads Google Dream G2

b) Text entry is on screen not with a keyboard - a feature that current Android does not support

3. Patrick Weber
    Alert

this is a real phone, but not the G1 successor

Have a look at this Engadget Posting: from the beginning of this week!! Old news:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/18/android-powered-sciphone-dream-g2-is-neither-dreamy-nor-the-g1s/

4. Scott
    Thumb Up

Looks like a G2 to me...

... check 0:30 of the clip - you'll see Dream G2 clearly printed on the inside of the batter slot. It is also printed on the battery too.

5. Alex
    Stop

Android

Is it just me or are people sleepwalking into the arms of the google beast?

google's not a member of your family.

nor is it a personal friend of yours.

their products are not "free" everything costs and with google its your personality profile that your pay with.

Google are already adding face & voice recognition to youtube and its not going to be long until those same processes are added to your calls.

don't believe the hype, remember what the price of this gadget is.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suckers

This was proved as fake yesterday by Gizmodo

7. Steve

Battery

The battery definitely has 'Dream G2' printed on it.. not that that proves anything...

Steve.

8. Toby
    Jobs Horns

looks like iphone softwre

havent seen the G1 android in action, but doesnt some screens there look v. iphone-ish? lke an earl android testing...

9. Tony
    Go

Battery print...

Says Dream G2 on the battery?

10. David Simpson

Old news

Come on Register, Engadget already called this a fake days ago, its a sci-phone using a crap os that has had its look copied from Android, crazy considering Android is free for them to use anyway.

11. Tom

Battery Pack

On the Battery it clearly says "Dream G2"

12. Lucas Vieites
    Go

Definitely a G2

When they insert the battery, you can clearly see the characters "G2" printed on it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Did you notice the G2 decal on the battery?

Jus saying... (Glasses)

14. Tony
    Stop

Though...

However, at 7.17 I notice a typo in the Contacts notice alerting the user to an empty 'Contract' list...

15. Dave Fox
    Thumb Down

C'mon - it's clearly a fake!

So obviously a cheap knock off, it's untrue! It superficially resembles Android, but you don't need to get far into the video to see that it isn't.

16. Richard
    Paris Hilton

G2?

Doesn't look as smooth or as slick as the G1. Plus the stylus is a step backwards.

Seems more like a port of Android to another device.

17. K
    Thumb Up

Definitely G2

The battery is clearly marked DREAM G2, though I can't gaurantee its from HTC ;)

18. Fully Groan

Hmm, Chinglish?

7m 15s clicks "Contacts" - screen comes back with "My contract is empty". Fishy..

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Not HTC but Chinese manufacturer

The Chinese characters visible in the film are simplified not traditional characters, i.e. the phone is from MAINLAND China NOT from Taiwan. This phone is not likely to be HTC - it is rather a Chinese clone, something like those numerous 'iFones'. Use of stylus confirms this, the design is low cost. Imagine what happens later this year, when various low-cost Chinese manufacturers enter our market with such clones. So far most customers weren't interested in non-standard phone operating systems and lack of compatibility with typical applications, and stayed away from the good looking Chinese low-costs. But now, with Android, things might change. The case looks similar to PCs from Taiwanese makers years ago. Behold Google's genius

20. Dan Clarke
    Go

Battery says G2

Could be wrong but I think it says "Dream G2" on the battery when it gets taken out?

21. Jon Ward

G2

Would a G1 prototype say G2 on the battery?

22. Will

Is the G1 rubbish

I know all the open source fan boys rushed out and bought this, simply because it wasn't an iPhone. But is it any good? I've not used one, but from what I've seen, it looks a bit pants.

23. Mathew White
    Pirate

Gz china

Obviously fake, as soon as it goes into the apps the UI is a clone of the iPhone one.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

One way to tell

Won't someone check if the battery has any markings? That should prove it one way or t'other...

25. This post has been deleted by its author

26. Tony Armstrong
    Stop

Good Grief!

It's an obvious ripoff, available from www.solomobi.com amongst other places!

27. leexgx

nice

got the G1 my self now the phone it self is nice with more stuff coming to market lots of toys on there to play with

the G1 Neeeeeds an bigger battery it does charge fast but never realy get any more then 3-4 hrs out of it when the toys are turnd on (GPS wifi location G3 not even tryed BT yet) allso the CPU or the PMW i guess inside the phone gets warm when been charged or is under any type of load for an short time (bat stays cool) its very intresting these problems was not fixed at the start as its very notisable the to above problems the one below seems to be an problem with the modeling device that makes the back for the G1 white

the white case has got an design flaw that prevents the case from fully closing around where the SD card is it allso clicks an bit (the part where the USB connector is the back has got to much plastic that stopped the case from fully closing )

28. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Not Android

It is not running android.

It is running Nuleus skinned to look like Android

http://www.china-mobile-phone.com/2008-12/g2.htm

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like