back to article Infosys denies former head of diversity recruitment's accusations of racial bias and visa fraud

Infosys has rejected the premise of a lawsuit brought by Davina Linguist, the former head of its diversity program recruiting manager program, who alleges the company prefers to hire South Asians and conducted visa fraud to replace US workers. Filed in the East Texas District Court last week, case 4:20-CV-465, Divina Linguist …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Infosys has denied the allegations"

Well they would, wouldn't they ? Except for the fact that, apparently, 80% of the current workforce is Indian of Indian origin. That strikes me as a bit curious in a country that is an ocean away from India.

Until, of course, I checked out the Management page of Infosys' website. All Indians.

So yeah, they're bringing over Indians. It's pretty obvious.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Infosys has denied the allegations"

but are the bringing in diverse Indians?

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Not as daft a comment as it sounds. Would these Indian staff be of any particular caste, or from a particular province? Or all a particular religion?

2. NeilPost Silver badge

Do you include diverse wages in that too or were they all reassuringly cheap??

2. Insert sadsack pun here

Infosys is an Indian company founded in India, headquartered in India and traded on the Bombay Stock Exchange. Obviously if you look at their global board of directors most or all of them are going to be Indian.

1. Intractable Potsherd

But if diversity applies one way, shouldn't it apply the other?

(I can't decide if that's a joke - make up your own mind.)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

You just have to know how to write a good job req!

One that says "Must be able to whip up a good vindaloo" in very small type at the bottom of the open req!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You just have to know how to write a good job req!

"One that says "Must be able to whip up a good vindaloo" in very small type at the bottom of the open req!"

As opposed to when looking to hire some English it would be."Must be able to whip up the blandest unappetising, tepid dog-vomit of a dish." in large block capitals?

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: You just have to know how to write a good job req!

That sounds like American grits.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tata seemed diverse

There was one woman from Nepal out of the 50 - 60 Tata contractors working on my last project before retirement, so definitely not all Indians.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come to think of it

Its anecdotal of course, but I work priority frontline support for one of Infosys' major PC OEMs in the US. You can probably guess which one.

In the three years I've been in this position, and the roughly 500 to 600 cases I've done for them just by myself in that three years, I've only ever spoken to one employee of theirs who was from the United States, and he was a mainframe technician supporting a mission critical application for a major financial services and insurance company. Had the job been something a little more common I'm quite certain that it would have been someone from India there as well.

What gets me about it is that their English language skills are usually kind of lacking and some of these people who should really know what I'm talking about when I ask them about things related to troubleshooting have no clue whatsoever what I'm getting at. Its always great when they're supposedly a firmware developer or hardware engineer who doesn't know what UEFI is and what the Intel Management Engine does.

I would not be surprised in the least if Infosys was committing massive visa fraud because some of their employees are supremely unqualified IMO.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Come to think of it

>>What gets me about it is that their English language skills are usually kind of lacking and some of these people who should really know what I'm talking about when I ask them about things related to troubleshooting have no clue whatsoever what I'm getting at.

So they fit right in at an American operation then? I mean: "color", "aluminum". They are barely literate over there!

5. Enigman

All the outsourcers game the visa systems regardless of the country. They'll advertise for positions with a high level and wide ranging skill set, interview and makes lowball offers that the candidates would never accept. Then they go to the relevant immigration authority with their 'proof' they advertised and couldn't fill the positions - no one asks them what the offer was and whether it was commensurate with industry expectations. All the governments look at is whether they advertised, whether they could fill the positions locally and now many visas they need.

Then once they get the visas approved they bring over resources who have nowhere near the same skill set as what was advertised. I've even seen managers brought over as 'technical' resources.

1. jellyplate

And repeat

They'll use the highly skilled CVs gained from the former exercise to win their next deal tender and then get back to shipping in the kids.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprise

No shortage of skilled workers in the US but you can get Indians possessing the required skillset for cheaper, that alongside "bringing more of your own over" is a sentiment quite popular among Indians.

I'd know. I happen to be one myself ;)

7. matthewdjb

Of course it's not their (written) policy.

8. YetAnotherJoeBlow

Foreign visas

I live and work all over Asia. When I have to go onsite somewhere, it is usually mostly english speaking people I work with - even though the compny is not.

We "foreigners" hear all the time that no one locally has the skillset needed. Yet US companies are hiring the "locals" specifically to do what we were imported to do. The locals do not possess those skills.

We all see whats going on here. It is obvious. I moved to Asia precisely because I am in demand over here. The US companies do not want to pay what we are obviously worth. They made their beds now lie in them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like