back to article Philippines government makes cloud-first a post-pandemic ‘new normal’ for all agencies

The Philippines has updated its cloud-first policy and suggested that in a post-pandemic world clouds should be just-about mandatory across government. The revised policy [PDF] tidies up vague wording in the previous document by making it plain that all government agencies must consider the cloud first, either the nation’s own …

1. Pangasinan Philippines

They have much to do

I am dealing with HLURB a govt housing authority.

They moved Office in September to a shiny new block.

As of now, there are no landlines connected, although someone must have internet to update web pages, (I suspect off site).

One cell phone works provided it is placed near to a window.

Currently they only in the office on thursdays if we can catch them via the one cellphone.

They accept no visitors during current climate.

Most files are paper based in filing cabinets.

Forward planning don't really exist here.

1. Mike Shepherd
      Meh

Re: They have much to do

As they read this and stir their tea, civil servants elsewhere ponder how they might aspire to such a paradise.

2. Warm Braw

The Judiciary and the Cloud. What could possibly go wrong?

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Clouds in embassies ?

I am curious to how that will work out. I don't think there are that many embassies that have enough space for a bit barn, and I'm certain that embassy staff do not have the qualifications to run one. So that would mean external (foreign) consultants coming in regularly to manage servers that may contain sensitive data.

Doesn't sound ideal from a security standpoint.

1. Nifty Silver badge

Re: Clouds in embassies ?

Julian Assange might apply

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At a time like this, this just reeks of impropriety..

As a Filipino IT professional who's now living in NZ for the last 4 years, I just can't fathom how the people the current government can think of ramming something like this down government IT people's throats during this time. Let's face it, someone wanted to have another quick buck from the government's coffers and decided to wield their influence on someone that can influence something like to be signed off at a time like this. Right. By the way, how can the government pay for these new cloud services when they've already borrowed billions for COVID relief which they've said is not enough? Hm.. I see Alibaba cloud establishing in the Philippines in the very near future!

1. sanmigueelbeer

Re: At a time like this, this just reeks of impropriety..

By the way, how can the government pay for these new cloud services when they've already borrowed billions for COVID relief which they've said is not enough?

China will pay as long as the Philippines will install Huawei-only infrastructure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like