back to article Taiwan aims to trump China with new display tech industry development plan

Taiwan’s government has explicitly stated it plans to boost the nation’s display technology industry to take advantage of 2020’s twin crises: US-China trade tensions and the COVID-19 pandemic. Premier Su Tseng-chang on Thursday pointed out that displays already account for eight percent of Taiwan’s GDP and employs 150,000 …

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Boffin

Inorganic LED displays

The cellphone and TV industry needs a new absurd benchmark for the year 2021. Inorganic LEDs can do a skin-searing 150 lumens per square millimeter, so there's something to aim for.

Goggles, please.

2. Tubz Silver badge

Good, sooner we reduce relying on China the better.

1. BenDwire Silver badge

Don't forget the China thinks it owns Taiwan anyway, and given the recent problems in HK I wouldn't bet on this ending nicely.

1. DiViDeD

Re: China thinks it owns Taiwan anyway

I have heard from friends with connections to Taiwan that their highly prized tech factories are wired with explosives so that, at any hint of invasion they'll simply blow them up, thus removing the primary reason for invasion.

How much truth there is in that I shall leave as an exercise for the more skilled googlers to determine.

1. JCitizen
          Go

Re: China thinks it owns Taiwan anyway

China did the same thing to the Japanese after Nanjing.

3. hammarbtyp

Sounds fine, problem is underneath the security rhetoric of the Trump administration is plain ol' America first isolationist thinking.

Taiwan, etc may think that they can take advantage of this, but I'm pretty sure it would not take long until the US found ways to try and limit Taiwan growth

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Not even in the wildest of wet dreams of all who shit always too often in/on the Golden Goose Nest.

Taiwan, etc may think that they can take advantage of this, but I'm pretty sure it would not take long until the US found ways to try and limit Taiwan growth ....... hammarbtyp

The days of that being both a successful and possible avenue of profitable executive enterprise with exclusive extraordinary expertise from the US are long gone, hammarbtyp, and they aint coming back to give parasitic survivors a re-run with their leveraging and hedging of command with market controls.

Destructive disruptive displays create constructive catastrophic consequences in any SMARTR Future Environment beyond Primitive Digital Reach ...... and that is the Whirlwind Dervish All Ignorant and Arrogant Daemons Reap/Experience/Sow when Abandoned and Lost and Adrift in the Field.

The best one can do then whenever a subject and object of ESPecial Interest is expect the end to be quick and clinical rather than long drawn out and personally painful.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like