back to article AWS flexes more cloudy Arm CPUs – and suggests they'll outpace competition over time

Amazon Web Services has fired up two new EC2 instance types running its homegrown Arm-based Graviton2 processors, repeated the claims that they significantly out-perform the x86 silicon on which it built its business, and reckoned Arm will outpace other architectures. In May 2020, AWS unleashed Graviton2 in the EC2 M6g …

1. Sgt_Oddball

I wonder...

How well they can scale up production to meet demands, as well as if they'd start selling these chips in complete boxes. It wouldn't be the first time a computer maker started making their own chipage, boxes and then started selling them as separate products in their own right.

Though the irony of going from virty to physical boxes when the competition has had to go the otherway to survive would be something to see.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you thought AWS lock-in was a risk before...

...try building a multivendor cloud strategy when one of your key platforms runs on Amazon's proprietary chip.

(And before anybody jumps on me: No, your applications won't be portable to other ARM servers. It takes a whole lot more than the x86 instruction set to make apps portable across Intel-based servers.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If you thought AWS lock-in was a risk before...

> No, your applications won't be portable to other ARM servers.

Yes they will. You can prove it yourself: try copying a binary from a Graviton2 Ubuntu machine and running it on a Raspberry Pi with 64-bit Ubuntu - it'll just work.

2. squtim

Re: If you thought AWS lock-in was a risk before...

> No, your applications won't be portable to other ARM servers.

Yes they will. Try taking a binary from a Graviton2 machine and executing it on a Raspberry Pi 4 running a 64-bit Linux. It'll just work.

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

I wonder what the power requirements are for running a similar ARM vs Intel instances? If the ARM is lower power draw even by just a small percentage that could save someone like AWS tens of thousands of dollars per year in electricity bills.

I looked at a ARM instance with Scalaways when I needed a VPS but they never had available so there is obviously a demand for ARM instances, especially if they can be done for a lower price than an Intel one

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

is it really necessary to mention you're in a boat somewhere?

5. NeilPost

“I started in this industry back in about 1986 working on mainframe ADA compilers. I subsequently spent years working on IBM db2 hosted on UNIX super servers and then moved to Microsoft sequel server hosted on x86 processors.“

Microsoft ‘sequel’ server. Did you vSend your Polish cleaner to do this interview??

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like