back to article City of London Corporation explores options to escape Oracle's clutches

The City of London Corporation is dipping its toe in the market for a new ERP provider as it approaches the end of support for the Oracle E-Business Suite that is currently running its main financial systems. In a pre-tender notice published this week, the municipal governing authority, which received its first recorded Royal …

1. cantankerous swineherd
    Trollface

how about SAP?

2. Dr Who

Integrate

SAP - very funny.

Why not pick best of breed SaaS offerings for each of the functions then integrate. That's one thing SaaS services make very easy, either through custom integrations directly via their APIs or more likely pre-built integrations via the likes of Mulesoft of Zapier. The added advantage is that you're not over the contractual barrel for a decade with a single supplier.

The days of the monolithic ERP are surely over, along with the near business death catastrophes that were so often associated with their implementation.

3. DJV Silver badge

"The current Oracle solution is considered not fit for purpose"

Pretty much standard for Oracle then!

1. Julz

Re: "The current Oracle solution is considered not fit for purpose"

One has to ask, whose purpose? I suspect it suite Oracle fine.

1. dave 81

Re: "The current Oracle solution is considered not fit for purpose"

Anyone purpose. Oracle will not be worth it.

4. MrBanana

"which received its first recorded Royal Charter in around 1067"

Might as well go back to the middle ages, and use velum scrolls. Possibly faster than Oracle, and a damn sight more permanent should an "outage" occur.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Lareagles sing...

Welcome to the Hotel California

And she said: "We are all just prisoners here

Of our own device"

And in the master's chambers

They gathered for the feast

They stab it with their steely knives

But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was

Running for the door

I had to find the passage back

To the place I was before

"Relax," said the night man

"We are programmed to receive

You can check out any time you like

But you can never leave!"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

"pre-tender notice published"

Does anyone else find this phrase unfortunate and ominous when used in conjunction with the rollout of an ERP replacement??

7. ratfox
    Go

Good luck, they'll need it

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Good Luck

You are right.

There are a few certanties that they should factor in from Day 1.

- It will take at least twice as long as the vendor says

- It will cost at least three times the initial budget

- It will perform like a two legged dog

- It won't work as expected.

I wish the City lots of luck with this project. I hope that all of the above points are wrong but I doubt it.

1. Jurassic Hermit

Re: Good Luck

- It will cost at least three times the initial budget

I've found that over 30+ years of project management - both on the delivering end, and the approval / financing end, that the wise old maxim of "double it and add a third" is invariably not far off the original estimate.

1. Lars Silver badge
          Happy

Re: Good Luck

"- It will cost at least three times the initial budget".

And the sun will rise in the east, and the budget was too optimistic, and every time the fault will be somebody else's fault but those who decided about time and budget.

This with 35 years of experience delivering the software and I am hardly alone with this experience.

It's fairly simple really, there is always two good buddies, the customer who want it quick and cheap and the salesman who also would like that to happen in order to get the order.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Luck? You make your own luck.

When you put a user committee in charge of writing requirements with no representation from IT to tell them what it actually takes to accomplish them;

Send the requirements to a salesmen who will write a proposal claiming their product can do it all;

Have the proposal reviewed by accountants;

Then you end up with the same luck you had with the old product.

1. Julz

Re: Luck? You make your own luck.

I have found that if you have a good technical architect (or whatever you might call them), who's onboard from the inception to the final delivery, you might stand a chance of getting something that at least works. Otherwise...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like