back to article June's Patch Tuesday reveals 23 ways to remotely pwn Windows – and over 100 more bugs that could ruin your day

Microsoft has given IT admins and folks another busy Patch Tuesday with 129 security vulnerabilities to address. The Redmond giant has posted fixes for CVE-listed bugs in its latest monthly security update, including 23 that allow for remote code execution. The massive bundle is not entirely unexpected, as security experts …

1. elDog

Isn't the title the inverse? "23 ways to STOP remotely pwn Windows..."

I think these patches are meant to correct flaws in all these systems/applications rather than introduce new ones.

However, given the players, I could be mistaken.

1. Giles C Silver badge

Re: Isn't the title the inverse? "23 ways to STOP remotely pwn Windows..."

Well as the article says patch Tuesday then exploit Wednesday.

I’m sure someone will be busy working out how to exploit machines which haven’t got the patches installed yet, and probably have something out to spam users with tonight...

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Patches

Patch Tuesday reveals the ways Windows et al can be pwned, with patches to stop that from happening. The patches disclose not only the way in which the bugs can be exploited but provides enough material for reverse engineers to product exploits.

C.

1. robidy

Re: Patches

Past experience shows today is exploit Wednesday...becuse that's when Tuesday patches have been reversed engineered.

2. redpawn

Just the normal heartbeat

This is how you know the code isn't dead yet, just on life support and pumping tech support through the system with your help.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Just the normal heartbeat

think of all of the 'feature creep' that did NOT happen because Micros~1 was busy patching. *

Hopefully they were ALL tested properly first... don't need another un-bootable version of Windows now do we?

(*) I wish they kept at it with the testing and patching, and simply gave up on the feature creep, at least for a while.

3. RM Myers
    Meh

Patch Tuesday for My Asus Router also

I'm not sure whether to be upset because this is the 7th firmware update in the last two years, or to be smug because my 3+ year old router is still getting security updates. My experience with a Samsung phone only getting one year of updates has definitely lowered my expectations.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Facepalm

Re: Patch Tuesday for My Asus Router also

I wonder how many people check and install updates for their router?

No need to reply....

1. Stumpy

Wish it were possible with mine. My ISP has locked the OS down so much I can't do anything reasonable with the bloody thing.

Roll on next week when I get a replacement unit to try and configure and plug in.

[And if anyone knows any way of decoding the binary dump of user data from a ZTE H298A router, it'd be appreciated]

1. Rich 11
          Joke

[And if anyone knows any way of decoding the binary dump of user data from a ZTE H298A router, it'd be appreciated]

I can decode it to hex for you, but after that you're on your own.

1. Stumpy

So neither you or your protocl droid speak Bocce?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like