back to article Now you've done it: Cyber attack targeted Australian brewery 'n' dairy biz Lion

Australian brewery Lion has suspended production, threatening the flow of beer across the continent-country, after a now confirmed* cyber attack struck down its IT systems. In a statement, the consumer goods firm, which also deals in milk as well as alcohol, said: “On Monday Lion was a victim of a cyber-attack. We immediately …

1. Christopher Reeve's Horse
    Coat

Also deals in milk as well as alcohol

Was it those pesky white russian hackers again?

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

Re: Also deals in milk as well as alcohol

Imperial Russian Milk Stout.

Beer and milk do not mix.

2. BebopWeBop

The hacklers were high on cocktails?

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Does it also have a sideline in yeast-based foods? The effect of lock-down on brewing here has had a knock-on effect on the production of Marmite. You may be pleased or upset to hear that but, allegedly, nothing in between.

4. jfm

Dunno, but it's not a feel-good story…

5. Flywheel
      Thumb Up

Obligatory Doctor Feelgood clip here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4IjrjMbmC4

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

And old Billy the system administrator, the first time in his life, why he's gone home cold sober to his darling wife. He walks in the kitchen, she says you're early Bill dear, but then he breaks down and tells her the pub's got no beer. - Slim Dusty

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

they use storagecraft backup

well they use Storagecraft backup to keep the beer flowing...

https://www.storagecraft.com/au/node/66

3. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

The Damned Things

Just another instance as to why greedy monopolizing conglomerates are awful.

Amongst the giants that concentrate on collecting rivals instead of just making their own stuff well, around 10 of them hold most of the market and are nearly as vile as Microsoft in trampling out competition.

Those above around $10 sales:

Anheuser-Busch InBev: US$56.4 billion (Belgium) up 23.7%

Heineken Holding: $24.7 billion (Netherlands) up 7.4%

Asahi Group Holdings: $19.4 billion (Japan) up 23.6%

Kirin Holdings: $16.6 billion (Japan) down -13.1%

Diageo: $15.7 billion (United Kingdom) up 3.3%

Suntory Holdings: $11 billion (Japan) up 21.3%

Molson Coors Brewing: $10.9 billion (United States) up 122.4%

Pernod Ricard: $10.2 billion (France) up 5.2%

Carlsberg: $9.4 billion (Denmark) up 1.1%

Kweichow Moutai: $8.5 billion (China) up 70%

http://www.worldstopexports.com/major-export-companies-alcoholic-beverages/

Just one of them shows how they gobble up brands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

Only when a similar mishap/disaster happens to the last man standing and no beer nor wine flows, will there be concern at their insatiate dementia: most of the world could survive with only local industries.

1. harmjschoonhoven
      Thumb Up

Re: The Damned Things

Try Trappist beer brewn by real monks. No IT involved since Anno Domini 1664.

2. jake Silver badge

So make your own beer & wine. It's not exactly rocket surgery. Humans have been fermenting various beverages at home for thousands of years.

Or you can just bitch about it, and continue to pay the mega-conglomerates for their built down to a price swill.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

I barely drink any alcohol [ family history + I dislike the tastes ]: but I only buy stuff as much as possible from firms who are not part of conglomerates. For instance, if you buy T-Shirts from Fruit of the Loom, that's owned by Warren Buffett. If you buy from The Gap it makes George Soros richer.

Why should all of human creativity be funneled into the possession of a few large entities ? I would prefer millions of small businesses.

Besides, your 'solution', some of the individuals refusing the offerings of mega-corps by making their own, is wholly inconsequential and wouldn't even be noted by the villains, just as my individual self using Linux makes no difference to Microsoft.

4. Scott 26

Lion....lol

Lion Red 'popularised' by Once Were Warriors... 'nuff said.

5. D. Evans

Don't care: Cooper's is still brewing!

Oldest family owned brewery in Oz. I used their homebrew kits in the 90s when in Victoria.

Alas, being in Silicon Valley area means I have to rely on their commercial, but excellent, Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale to keep me going until I head home.

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Don't care: Cooper's is still brewing!

Meh, Cooper's is still just a mega-brewery.

Now, what you do it, you see, you get off the plane in Tullamarine and then head on up the Calder freeway. When you've got Mount Macedon on your right, you head off the freeway and west into Woodend.

About halfway through town you stop and walk into the Holgate Brewhouse.

Have a Heifer Weizen, if it's in season. Try all the others, as recommended by the folks behind the bar! When through the list, start over from the beginning. Thank me when you're sober again.

Now *that* is a family owned little brewery that knows its craft!

2. jake Silver badge

Being in the Silly Con Valley area means you have easy access to some of the best raw ingredients in the world. I'll bet you a plugged nickle that using your favorite search engine you can easily find a 5 gallon recipe to make a clone of the beer you crave ... and the parts to make it within twenty five miles of where you currently live.

1. Chris G

I have four huge grape vines my wife has been nurturing, it's looking to be a bumper crop this year after the long wet spring. Have also been reading about fig beer, the fig trees are doing well as are the almonds, so some brewing is definitely on the cards this coming autumn.

I sun dry the figs and will probably use a mix with barley.

The biggest fun with beer making is bottling too early and the bottles going off in the middle of the night.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"The biggest fun with beer making is bottling too early and the bottles going off in the middle of the night."

Or in the case of my father and his friends, storage sheds all over the valley doing it.

Ironically enough, within earshot of what's now the Rocketlabs launchpad at Mahia

6. Mark Exclamation

"....who theorised that the attack may have been linked to the takeover of Lion by a Chinese firm."

Theories aside, Chinese companies (owned or not by the government) have been buying up Australia's food chain. They have beef, beer, and are about to buy a huge milk (products) producer. They are strategic purchases that could be used against Australians in the event of soured relations. Lesson: a country's food chain should not be controlled by a potential foe. Oh wait.....

7. BebopWeBop
    Pint

So it's war then. This will give security a bit of a boost!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like